Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Download ebooks from Calibre-server with Windows

I am running Calibre and Calibre-server on a Linux box at home, with port forwarding configured on my router so that my Calibre-server is visible to the net. I regularly use Calibre-client to download ebooks onto my Android tablet.

My question - is there a tool available for Windows 10 with which I can download ebooks from my Calibre-server?

I'm not interested in running a separate instance of Calibre on my Windows box, with its own repository. I just want to be able to download ebooks from my existing repository so I can read them on my Windows box.

I'm running sshd on the Linux box, so I'm certain I could download any .epub file using sftp, but I was wondering if there was a way to do this within the Calibre world.
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use any browser to download books from the calibre server.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre-server is a server, it creates a website. Try the thing you are looking at right now.

Edit: ninjaed...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
jdege
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can use any browser to download books from the calibre server.
Somehow I missed that calibre-server was communicating via http.

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
jdege
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
calibre-server is a server, it creates a website. Try the thing you are looking at right now.
Not all servers are webservers. In fact, most of them aren't. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of standard IP protocols, and hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of custom IP protocols. HTTP and HTTPs are just two of them.
Advert
Old 02-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdege View Post
Somehow I missed that calibre-server was communicating via http.

Thanks.
Easy thing to overlook if you've only ever used it via apps Just FYI calibre 3.0 will also have a builtin book viewer so you can also read your books in the browser, without needing an external program.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Not all servers are webservers. In fact, most of them aren't. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of standard IP protocols, and hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of custom IP protocols. HTTP and HTTPs are just two of them.
And most of those protocols are for esoteric uses.

My first assumption is that a website offers HTML. So I would try it and find out -- either a win, or no harm done.

Especially since we are discussing a standard feature of an end-user application.

Full points for being "technically" correct, though.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
jdege
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And most of those protocols are for esoteric uses.
I don't think I'd refer to IMAP and POP3 as "esoteric". Ordinary users use many of these "esoteric" protocols everyday.

Still, I might have recognized that Calibre-server was serving http, from its default port: 8080.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I don't think I'd refer to IMAP and POP3 as "esoteric". Ordinary users use many of these "esoteric" protocols everyday.

Still, I might have recognized that Calibre-server was serving http, from its default port: 8080.
I would not refer to my Mail server, simply as 'the Server'
NNTP, POP3, FTP, HTTP are just some of the common 'servers'

There is always a 'protocol' involved for access .

The GUI (Calibre) Sharing over the net, provide connection tips.

Same tipstill applies, if you run the standalone calibre server (it defaults to the settings used in the GUI) . The CLI allows you to override the default setting
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote