Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #1
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Dark Horse no longer distributed by Kobo?

At the beginning of the month in February, all books published by Dark Horse is no longer on the Kobo website.

Does anybody know what happened to all the Dark Horse comics and manga published on Kobo? Did the contract between Kobo and Dark Horse expired?
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I know that Dark Horse is currently selling collections/trade paperbacks through ComiXology, which now belongs to Amazon. Wouldn't surprise me if the Kobo contract was allowed to lapse for that reason.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
girlwithabook
girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.girlwithabook knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE, iPhone 6s
Dark Horse products are still on the Kobo site. You can search for them under "Dark Horse Books" if you're curious. If something is not there, it may not have been released digitally yet.
girlwithabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:01 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
At the beginning of the month in February, all books published by Dark Horse is no longer on the Kobo website.

Does anybody know what happened to all the Dark Horse comics and manga published on Kobo? Did the contract between Kobo and Dark Horse expired?
Not sure what your results were but I did a search on for Dark Horse Books as publisher, I got 472 hits back. One note is that it seems that you now need to add &fcsearchfield=Imprint instead of &fcsearchfield=Publisher at the end of the search string to do the publisher search.

Dark Horse Books Imprint

To make it clearer, I searched for "Dark Horse Books" on Kobo's site and then added the &fcsearchfield=Imprint to the end of the URL in the address bar and hit enter.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-19-2016 at 02:08 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithabook View Post
Dark Horse products are still on the Kobo site. You can search for them under "Dark Horse Books" if you're curious. If something is not there, it may not have been released digitally yet.
Not true, Dark Horse books that are released digitally are not at Kobo.

For example, Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus vol. 1 released by Dark Horse is on Amazon, but not on Kobo.
Advert
Old 02-19-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Not true, Dark Horse books that are released digitally are not at Kobo.

For example, Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus vol. 1 released by Dark Horse is on Amazon, but not on Kobo.
They show Vol 1, 3 & 4 as pre-orders and Vol 2 as available. No idea why they're listed as pre-orders, I guess either a glitch with Kobo or someone at Penguin Random House screwed up.

Vol 1 - preorder
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...-omnibus-vol-1

Vol 2 - for sale
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...-omnibus-vol-2

Vol 3 - preorder
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...nibus-volume-3

Vol 4 - preorder
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...nibus-volume-4

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-19-2016 at 07:52 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #7
RZetlin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They show Vol 1, 3 & 4 as pre-orders and Vol 2 as available. No idea why they're listed as pre-orders, I guess either a glitch with Kobo or someone at Penguin Random House screwed up.

Vol 1 - preorder
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...-omnibus-vol-1

Vol 2 - for sale
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...-omnibus-vol-2

Vol 3 - preorder
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...nibus-volume-3

Vol 4 - preorder
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...nibus-volume-4
Kobo is telling me "This eBook is not currently available."

Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus vol. 1 is not available in Canada.

This doesn't make sense, as I could search for the books before.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:13 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sounds like something to bring up with the publisher (either Dark Horse directly or their parent, Penguin Random House). They're the ones who set what's available in what countries. From the US the books you're interesting in are listed everywhere I checked Amazon, Kobo, Google, B&N, ComiXology, but at Kobo some are listed as pre-orders. I'm thinking someone at Penguin must have messed up when listing them on Kobo and set things wrong.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Sounds like something to bring up with the publisher (either Dark Horse directly or their parent, Penguin Random House). They're the ones who set what's available in what countries. From the US the books you're interesting in are listed everywhere I checked Amazon, Kobo, Google, B&N, ComiXology, but at Kobo some are listed as pre-orders. I'm thinking someone at Penguin must have messed up when listing them on Kobo and set things wrong.
I'd have to agree. Clicking on the links you supplied gave me a "This eBook is not currently available." message and a closable window stating: "Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus vol. x is not available in Canada." (substiture 1 to 4 for x). Using a proxy so I appeared to be coming from a location in the USA allowed me to access the ebooks.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-23-2016 at 11:08 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #10
RZetlin
Addict

Quote:
Is there any way to remedy this?

I have contacted Kobo in the past about book issues and the staple response is "it is the publisher responsibility, we have no control".

I have tried to contact Dark Horse directly, but no response.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

I have contacted Kobo in the past about book issues and the staple response is "it is the publisher responsibility, we have no control".

And that is probably the only thing you can do.

The problem is that traditionally, publishing is a very regional business. In different countries, different publishers have the rights to a book. The publisher tells the on-line retailers where they can sell their books. Kobo should be just following the rules they have been given. If the publisher has changed in a country, then Kobo might have to stop selling some books in that country and wait for new editions from the new publisher.

But, it could be a mistake. Kobo might have made a mistake with what books they are selling. Or the publisher might have done it. In the latter case, it is the publisher that has to fix it. In the former, it is probably the publisher as well. You can tell Kobo you think a books should be available, but it will probably work better to get the publisher to tell Kobo about the mistake. After all, they know the book should be available, whereas you can't be sure.

Of course, you could always move to a country where Kobo still sells these books. As Kobo uses the address you enter in your details, that isn't to painful a thing to do.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #12
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
I cannot make any promises, as it's not in my sphere of influence or knowledge (much as some may think I'm all powerful, that's not, thankfully, true ), but I'll try and see whom would be the best to ask about this. It is also possible it's already being looked at, or will be shortly.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
BrodieKobo
Enthusiast
BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Aura One, iOS, Android
Quote:

Hi RZetlin,

I've contacted our publishing team and they are going to reach out to Dark Horse directly to resolve this issue. The book you mention "Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus vol. 1" should be available to purchase in Canada. We'll review and get this corrected. Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused, but really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Brodie
BrodieKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
RZetlin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieKobo View Post
Hi RZetlin,

I've contacted our publishing team and they are going to reach out to Dark Horse directly to resolve this issue. The book you mention "Cardcaptor Sakura Omnibus vol. 1" should be available to purchase in Canada. We'll review and get this corrected. Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused, but really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Brodie
Thank you for taking the time to resolve the issue.

While one Dark Horse manga series is available, there are other titles not available:

Gunsmith Cats Series

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-ca/eb...burst-volume-1
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-ca/eb...burst-volume-2
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-ca/eb...burst-volume-3
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-ca/eb...burst-volume-4

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-ca/eb...ition-volume-1
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-ca/eb...ition-volume-2
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-ca/eb...ition-volume-3
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-ca/eb...ition-volume-4

Not only are they not available in Canada, the book covers are absent.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #15
BrodieKobo
Enthusiast
BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrodieKobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Aura One, iOS, Android
Hi RZetlin,

Appreciate the additional examples. I've asked our publishing team to review all of Dark Horse content on our site as clearly this isn't an isolated issue. I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the issue!
BrodieKobo is offline   Reply With Quote