Notices

Old 02-13-2016, 03:03 AM   #1
tosca30
Enthusiast
tosca30 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unable to connect to Calibre

Hi,
This is my first appearance on this forum.

I've just installed the demo version on a 4.1.4 Android tablet and am trying to connect to Calibre on my computer, but with no success up to now.

I'm running Calibre 2.49 on a Linux/Fedora 23 computer that uses 2 IP adresses,

Thanks for helping.
tosca30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:06 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Connect how, as a wireless device or to the content server? I'm assuming you have which ever option you're trying enabled on the Calibre/PC side of things?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2016, 03:18 AM   #3
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Connect how, as a wireless device or to the content server?
Wireless device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm assuming you have which ever option you're trying enabled on the Calibre/PC side of things?
"Activer la connexion aux dispositifs sans-fil" is checked, with no password.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There are several things you can check.
  • If you are using automatic connections: does the firewall on your Linux computer permit incoming connections to calibre on all ports? Alternatively you must open the port for you specified in the calibre wireless device driver setup for TCP and ports 54982, 48123, 39001, 44044, 59678 for UDP.
  • If you are entering an IP+port into CC, does your firewall allow incoming connections on the port calibre wireless device setup?
  • Do you have a firewall installed on the tablet, and if so have you allowed CC to make outgoing connections on both TCP and UDP?
  • In calibre, if you run Preferences / Miscellaneous /Debug device detection, do you see both of your IP addresses in the list of IP addresses that the SMART_DEVICE_APP is listening to?
  • You can tell the wireless device driver in calibre to listen on a particular IP address in Preferences / Plugins / Device interface plugins / SmartDevice App interface.
  • Is either "guest mode" or "wireless isolation" enabled on your router?
  • Do you have a dual-band router that does not route between bands, and the linux machine is on a different band from the tablet?
  • Can the linux box "ping" the tablet? Can the tablet "ping" the linux box? If no to either one then something on your network is blocking packet flow between the two computers.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #5
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There are several things you can check.
Thanks a lot for guiding me through this process.
Quote:
  • If you are using automatic connections: does the firewall on your Linux computer permit incoming connections to calibre on all ports? Alternatively you must open the port for you specified in the calibre wireless device driver setup for TCP and ports 54982, 48123, 39001, 44044, 59678 for UDP.
  • If you are entering an IP+port into CC, does your firewall allow incoming connections on the port calibre wireless device setup?
  • Do you have a firewall installed on the tablet, and if so have you allowed CC to make outgoing connections on both TCP and UDP?
I didn't set up any firewall on the computer, nor on the tablet. If one is running on either device, I'm not aware of it.
Quote:
  • In calibre, if you run Preferences / Miscellaneous /Debug device detection, do you see both of your IP addresses in the list of IP addresses that the SMART_DEVICE_APP is listening to?
  • You can tell the wireless device driver in calibre to listen on a particular IP address in Preferences / Plugins / Device interface plugins / SmartDevice App interface.
I'm not sure what SMART_DEVICE_APP refers to.
If it's the tablet, I had to change the IP adress to the more similar one displayed in Calibre, but that didn't change anything.
Quote:
I don't think so. How can I tell?
Quote:
  • Do you have a dual-band router that does not route between bands, and the linux machine is on a different band from the tablet?
I'm afraid this is like Chinese for me.
Quote:
[*]
  • Can the linux box "ping" the tablet? Can the tablet "ping" the linux box? If no to either one then something on your network is blocking packet flow between the two computers.
What is the linux box? The linux computer? or the 'box' provided by my provider (we call it a 'livebox' in french...)
Advert
Old 02-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosca30 View Post
Quote:
I didn't set up any firewall on the computer, nor on the tablet. If one is running on either device, I'm not aware of it.
Some linux installations install a firewall for you that blocks most incoming connections. Usually you can see the firewall in one of the "System management" functions.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what SMART_DEVICE_APP refers to.
It is the internal name of the calibre "device driver" that talks to wireless devices. When running device debug you will see a block of information near the bottom giving a lot of information about the IP address configuration. When managing plugins it is the name of the plugin to configure.

When I wrote "Preferences / ...." I was describing the chain of "clicks" in calibre to get to a particular function.
Quote:
If it's the tablet, I had to change the IP adress to the more similar one displayed in Calibre, but that didn't change anything.
It is not the tablet.

However, you mention "changing" the IP address. Do you mean you entered an IP address in CC's Wireless Connection setup? That is where you enter the IP address of the machine running calibre. It must be similar to both the IP address of the tablet and the IP address of the machine running calibre. For example, if the tablet has an IP address 192.168.0.33 then you must use a calibre IP address beginning with 192.168.0
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think so. How can I tell?
You must look at the configuration of the router.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm afraid this is like Chinese for me.
That refers to the frequency of the WiFi signal. There are two: 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz. Your router will support one or both of them. You must look at your router to see which you have.
Quote:
Quote:
[*]
What is the linux box? The linux computer? or the 'box' provided by my provider (we call it a 'livebox' in french...)
When I said "linux box" I meant the computer running Fedora that has calibre installed.

There will be a lot of information in the debug logs. There are two, one for calibre and one for CC. The FAQ answer How do I get help? describes how you get these logs.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
There will be a lot of information in the debug logs. There are two, one for calibre and one for CC. The FAQ answer How do I get help? describes how you get these logs.
The CC debug log has been sent a couple of minutes ago.
Here is the Calibre debug log:
Code:
calibre Journal de débogage
calibre 2.49  isfrozen: False is64bit: True
Linux-4.3.5-300.fc23.x86_64-x86_64-with-fedora-23-Twenty_Three Linux ('64bit', '')
('Linux', '4.3.5-300.fc23.x86_64', '#1 SMP Mon Feb 1 03:18:41 UTC 2016')
Python 2.7.10
Linux: ('Fedora', '23', 'Twenty Three')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && K4PC, K4Mac, Kindle Mobi and Topaz DeDRM && Inept Epub DeDRM && Inept PDF DeDRM && eReader PDB 2 PML && Ignoble Epub DeDRM
Starting up...
SMART_DEV (   0.00:  0.002) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 9090
SMART_DEV (   0.98:  0.858) startup_on_demand listening on port 9090
SMART_DEV (   0.99:  0.002) _attach_to_port try ip address "" on port 54982
SMART_DEV (   0.99:  0.000) startup_on_demand broadcast socket listening on port 54982
SMART_DEV (   2.01:  1.015) run All IP addresses {'lo': [{'peer': '127.0.0.1', 'netmask': '255.0.0.0', 'addr': '127.0.0.1'}], 'wlp8s0': [{'broadcast': '192.168.1.255', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0', 'addr': '192.168.1.12'}], 'virbr0': [{'broadcast': '192.168.122.255', 'netmask': '255.255.255.0', 'addr': '192.168.122.1'}]}
Started up in 13.12 seconds with 180 books

(kate:7583): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory  of theme oxygen has no size field
Old 02-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
Some linux installations install a firewall for you that blocks most incoming connections. Usually you can see the firewall in one of the "System management" functions.
Everything seems to be empty in the firewall settings. The status bar displays only:
Connecté
Zone par défaut : public
Verrouiller : désactivé(e)
Mode panique : désactivé(e)

Quote:
However, you mention "changing" the IP address. Do you mean you entered an IP address in CC's Wireless Connection setup? That is where you enter the IP address of the machine running calibre. It must be similar to both the IP address of the tablet and the IP address of the machine running calibre. For example, if the tablet has an IP address 192.168.0.33 then you must use a calibre IP address beginning with 192.168.0
That's what I'd done.

Quote:
You must look at the configuration of the router.
That refers to the frequency of the WiFi signal. There are two: 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz. Your router will support one or both of them. You must look at your router to see which you have.
Assuming the router is (or is inside) this box

where can I find this information? It doesn't seem to be on the box itself.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Everything seems to be empty in the firewall settings. The status bar displays only:
Connecté
Zone par défaut : public
Verrouiller : désactivé(e)
Mode panique : désactivé(e)
The "public" zone prevents incoming connections. Try changing the zone to "trusted". See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/network-zones
Old 02-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The "public" zone prevents incoming connections. Try changing the zone to "trusted". See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/network-zones
Et désolé : je peux bien lire le français, mais d’écrire coût trop de temps et de cerveau.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #11
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
From what I understand, I need to check the service(s) that is/are considered 'trusted'.

Which one are they?

Quote:
Et désolé : je peux bien lire le français, mais d’écrire coût trop de temps et de cerveau.
No problem, I can read english pretty well ... even if writing is a bit more difficult.
But I didn't translate what is displayed in order not to introduce additional errors/misunderstandings.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
From what I understand, I need to check the service(s) that is/are considered 'trusted'.

Which one are they?
That is very strange that you must explicitly open services and ports in the "trusted" zone. I would expect that *all* the services would be checked by default. In my opinion the system is broken, but who am I to say...

CC's "wireless device" is not a service. It requires that certain ports (the second tab) be opened. In your case and assuming that what you posted before is correct and assuming that you have entered the IP address and port into CC, you must open port 9090. I cannot say with any certainty that opening that port is enough, because I don't have a good idea what "security" fedora applies.

CC's content server connection will require opening port 8080.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #13
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
... you must open port 9090. I cannot say with any certainty that opening that port is enough, because I don't have a good idea what "security" fedora applies.

CC's content server connection will require opening port 8080.
I'm a bit confused: should it be 9090 or 8080?
And how can I "open a port"?
Old 02-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm a bit confused: should it be 9090 or 8080?
And how can I "open a port"?
Open 9090 for the wireless device connection. Open 8080 for the content server connection, assuming you didn't change it.

To open a port you to click on the "Ports" tab and enter the ports. Exactly how you do that I can't tell you, other than to point you at the rather useless Fedora documentation: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US..._Firewall.html
Old 02-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #15
tosca30
Enthusiast

Quote:
To open a port you to click on the "Ports" tab and enter the ports. Exactly how you do that I can't tell you, other than to point you at the rather useless Fedora documentation: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US..._Firewall.html
In fact, the interface seems rather simple to use, but I'm not very comfortable to change security settings I don't understand... I think it's time I go to the Fedora forum and ask a couple of questions. And that'll be in french.

I'll be back when I'll have enough information.
Thank you very much for helping.