Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
Arran
Lernender
Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre, Sigil and Tolino
Connecting EReader with my laptop

Hello
I just got my new Kobo glo HD. The first impression is quite good and I did buy a book for testing the download. This replaces an Tolino I managed to destroy by letting it fall onto a sharp thing, monitor forwards.

Now, I do have quite a number of paid for ebooks in epub format as well as old free books.

When I connect the Kobo with the cable to the desktop computer, operating system Kubuntu 14.04 LTS, the computer recognises the add but I can see absolutely nothing. I made a screen shot. With the Tolino I could see a tree with the various folders, so I could then change the files to and from. (The DRM-ed files worked to, but I could not open them with the computer. However this is not really expected.)

Anybody having an idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-nackt.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	146260  
Arran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
anavin
Enthusiast
anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.anavin put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O
I guess they're under .kobo directory, which is a hidden file under *nix system. Use Alt+. to show them (at least it's the shortcut key in KDE5's Dolphin; if not, there should be a "show hidden file" option).
anavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There should be other files and folders that are not hidden, in /mnt/onboard/, which is the root of the FAT user partition named KOBOeReader.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
Arran
Lernender
Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello
Thanks a lot. I used the good old «alt+.» and I could see the files. I would never have come on this idea.
Now I go and put a book into it to see, if that will work.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
Arran
Lernender

Thanks Ken. /mnt is totally empty here.

I have just copied the agatha...epub to the folder /kepub. However I can not see it in the Reader, despite I switched it off/on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	146263  
Advert
Old 02-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Don't add sideloaded material to a folder located within the .kobo tree or ANY folder with a name starting with a period.

Create your OWN folder at the root of the device; do NOT use a leading period in it's name. Place your sideloaded material there.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #7
Arran
Lernender

Superb! Thanks to you all. No problem, works wonderful.

Second last question: Can I rename the files under .kobo/kepub?

And last question (I hope): will MY files be synchronised with Kobo?
Old 02-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Leave the stuff in the .kobo directory alone; the entries in .kobo/kepub are those books downloaded (and managed) by either WiFi from the Kobo Store OR via USB from a Windows / Mac using Kobo Desktop.

The only time you should make do ANYTHING in the .kobo directory structure is if you're making a manual change to the Kobo eReader.conf file (.kobo/Kobo) or copying the files from an upgrade to the .kobo directory.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
Arran
Lernender

Thanks. I think all is clear. I can have now a nice holiday trip to enjoy.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
And to answer your last question, no you can't sync your own non-Kobo bought (technically any non-Kobo kepub format bought from Kobo) books with the Kobo servers.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:22 AM   #11
Arran
Lernender

OK, this is not a problem, quite on the contrary. I am not using any clouds, as far as I am aware. At least since the Tolino «died».

By the way, how should I dispose a reader? With phones it is simple, buy a new one and you get even money for the old one.