Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-08-2016, 05:58 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A better use of paper than making books

The amazing MCor 3D printers make 3D models out of paper!

They've just announced a desktop model. OK, $6,000 is a lot, but I'm quite tempted myself. When they get down to $1500/£1000 I don't think I could resist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5228-1024x777.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	145367  
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Cool. I think some of those printers also use other materials and can make intricate useful things.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

3D printers that use coloured plastics are common, and there are 3D printers that use other materials.

But I haven't seen anything that can produced full colour 3D models like this machine.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:25 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
A book is a better use of paper than an ornamental 3D model. I know this is an e-reading forum, but the hyperbole is unjustified, IMO.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
A book is a better use of paper than an ornamental 3D model. I know this is an e-reading forum, but the hyperbole is unjustified, IMO.
And it looks like a banana slicer would have been quicker for your avatar.
And we love hyperbole.
Old phone books make great angels.
Classic hardback books make safes.
So which is worse making other stuff out of paper or making stuff out of books.
Advert
Old 01-09-2016, 11:51 PM   #6
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
And it looks like a banana slicer would have been quicker for your avatar.
And we love hyperbole.
Old phone books make great angels.
Classic hardback books make safes.
So which is worse making other stuff out of paper or making stuff out of books.
Why inject a false dichotomy?

The OP's proposition was simple - that ornamental 3D objects are a better use of paper than books.

That can be addressed on it's merits without resorting to changing the question, don't you think so?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:55 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Why inject a false dichotomy?

The OP's proposition was simple - that ornamental 3D objects are a better use of paper than books.

That can be addressed on it's merits without resorting to changing the question, don't you think so?
I just took it as it was. I didn't see a dichotomy.
How would you have phrased it?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I would've phrased it "some people appear to have lost their sense of humor."

And "what are the chances that anyone here is actually interested in a philosophical discussion about the merits of paper books?"
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:59 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
WOW in Kindergarden I made something like that 3-D with old newspaper & flour Paste... Called Paper Mache!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:59 PM   #10
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I just took it as it was. I didn't see a dichotomy.
How would you have phrased it?
By addressing the question on it's merits instead of whatabouting it with "So which is worse making other stuff out of paper or making stuff out of books."

We either agree that 3D ornaments are a better use of paper than books, or we do not.

It's a simple comparison between two uses of paper that does not require veering off on tangents.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:03 AM   #11
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I would've phrased it "some people appear to have lost their sense of humor."

And "what are the chances that anyone here is actually interested in a philosophical discussion about the merits of paper books?"
Oh I do have a sense of humour. It's wicked and has gotten me into trouble too occasionally.

However when one keeps encountering statements like this or the "dead tree books" phrase and such, one can't help but feel that we've gradually moved on from humour to being judged ethically.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:40 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
but the hyperbole is unjustified, IMO.
No, the hyperbole was entirely justified.

But it was hyperbole. I'm astonished that you both managed to identify it as hyperbole, and yet also seemed to take it as a genuine opinion worthy of debate.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:45 AM   #13
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I like the Concrete Printer more.

oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:53 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Giant 3D printers for construction work are also fascinating, I agree. But not something I'll ever be buying myself.

But a Desktop 3D printer? I'd be astonished if I didn't buy one in the next ten years.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:53 AM   #15
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No, the hyperbole was entirely justified.

But it was hyperbole. I'm astonished that you both managed to identify it as hyperbole, and yet also seemed to take it as a genuine opinion worthy of debate.
You must live the life of an isolated monk if it astonishes you. People can have different opinions and discussions frequently ensue from the unexpected.