Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-26-2015, 01:49 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Moto E 2nd Gen

Moto E 4G LTE (2nd Gen) -- primary use for many here will be as a streaming MP3 player. Posts containing info on how to use certain features (like FM Radio, skipping activation, etc) will linked below under Key Topics for future reference.

Reviews --> Amazon -- Best Buy -- Motorola -- Verizon -- Wikipedia

Key Topics
  • NCPs as Audio Players --> thread

Moto E Specs
  • Mfg: Motorola --- Released: Feb 2015 --- Name: Moto E 4G LTE (2nd Gen)
  • Carrier: Verizon --- Type: prepaid - no contract --- Price: $9.99 @ Best Buy (Nov 2015)
  • OpSys: Android 5.1 (Lollipop) --> will NOT be upgraded to Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
  • CPU: 1.2 GHz Snapdragon 410 quad core --- GPU: Adreno 306
  • RAM: 1 GB --- Storage: 8 GB (5 GB user avail) --- mSDHC: ≤ 32 GB
  • Display: 4.5" - 960x540 - 245 ppi - Gorilla Glass 3
  • Rear Cam: 5 MP - no flash --- Front Cam: 0.3 MP VGA
  • Speaker: mono - front facing --- Battery: 2390 mAh - not removable
  • Features: GPS - FM Radio --- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0 - WiFi b/g/n - 4G LTE
  • Dimensions: 5.11" x 2.63" x 0.48" - 5.1 oz --- Warranty: 1 year
  • does NOT have: camera flash, compass, gyroscope

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-01-2016 at 11:53 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:53 AM   #2
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Thanks for the tip about buying a NCP. I think I will get more use out of it than I would have an mp3 player, though that's what I plan to primarily use it as.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Thanks for the tip about buying a NCP. I think I will get more use out of it than I would have an mp3 player, though that's what I plan to primarily use it as.
YW - they make great audio players (audiobooks, music, podcasts).
Old 11-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
BretSingleton
Enthusiast
BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the info it really helps it remind me of my old Moto E 4g. It loss it in the park, anyway i have my new samsung s6 edge now.
BretSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:12 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
We plan to use ours as phones on Straight Talk so I am looking up how to do that. It looks like we need a activation kit and somethig about apn settings I am still trying to figure out.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Blossom, it has to be unlocked. Are these unlocked? I thought they were locked to Verizon. I'd love to pop a tracfone card in it and give it to my daughter.

ETA I see that they are unlocked, and there is a way to get it to go on a GSM network.

How to

I am going to give it a try to get it on tracfone. I already have a bring your own sim card from them, which is active in a Windows phone Nokia 520. I am positive she will like having an Android phone better. (The Nokia makes a great calculator. Otherwise, ugh)

Last edited by booklover6; 11-27-2015 at 11:31 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
All Verizon's prepaid 4G phones come unlock. Tracfone is too pricey. Straight Talk is owned by them but much cheaper. $45 for unlimited talk, text and 5GB of data.

Agreed on the Nokia. It's no use to me as it won't work here.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
My plan too. No phone activation. It'll use mine primarily for audiobooks and music.

Hip hip hooray for the $10 Android iPod touch
Old 11-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Hip hip hooray for the $10 Android iPod touch
Humph. This one cost 4X my LG Volt, which I got for $2.49.

(I'm not really complaining, at ten bucks I'll find a use for it.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Humph. This one cost 4X my LG Volt, which I got for $2.49.

(I'm not really complaining, at ten bucks I'll find a use for it.)
How did you get a Volt that cheap?
Old 11-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
All Verizon's prepaid 4G phones come unlock. Tracfone is too pricey. Straight Talk is owned by them but much cheaper. $45 for unlimited talk, text and 5GB of data.

Agreed on the Nokia. It's no use to me as it won't work here.
My daughter doesn't do much, occasional texting. So tracfone is probably the cheapest for her, until she starts using it more.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
mising
Enthusiast
mising began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx InkBook, Kindle Oasis, Fire HD 8
NCP=non carrier phone?
mising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mising View Post
NCP=non carrier phone?
No Contract Phone. That means you're allowed to use it without a contract. So you can skip phone activation and use it as a streaming media player. In other words, you can set it up like a mini tablet or an Android version of an iPod touch for $10. Can't beat that.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
How did you get a Volt that cheap?
It was a deal last May. The Volt was $79.99 at the Virgin Mobile site; there was a $60 coupon; and ebates.com gave $17.50 cashback. I was lucky. I saw the deal when it was live and posted here in the middle of the night (for me); it was gone by morning. Not surprisingly!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It was a deal last May. The Volt was $79.99 at the Virgin Mobile site; there was a $60 coupon; and ebates.com gave $17.50 cashback. I was lucky. I saw the deal when it was live and posted here in the middle of the night (for me); it was gone by morning. Not surprisingly!
Super deal. I don't remember it.