Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-13-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Roaming Wifi

The Wireless Broadband Alliance announced an agreement yesterday to enable wifi roaming among 6 international wireless carriers including BT Group, Maxis, NTT Communications, StarHub, Telstra, and T-Mobile USA. This will allow consumers to use their wifi account subscription at home and abroad, in 11,500 locations in countries including Australia, Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, the Netherlands, Singapore, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

And if you're a T-Mobile HotSpot US user, you will be able to roam internationally for no additional charge for the remainder of the year. A price for international roaming will be determined next year.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Isn't it obvious that WiFi will become the next commodity? Subscription roaming and a continuously increasing widespread availability. I cannot believe that palmOne did not see that (Tungsten T5).

With WiFi, we can do so many more things with our PDA... web browsing, checking e-mail, chatting, remotely connecting to your desktop, you name it!

I only hope that the cost of WiFi roaming won't be as insane as the cost of cell phone roaming.
Advert
Old 11-13-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Yea, you totally pointed to two huge holes in the marketplace that pda manufacturers need to address -- particularly those that pimp the PalmOS. I did some window-shopping on Dell's site last night and when I realized that I could get a 312Mhz PPC with 64Mb Ram and wifi for $204 shipped (via the outlet), I nearly had a heart attack. If weren't for the fact that I'm really holding out for something with both BT and wifi (yea, I'm a glutton), I would've pulled out my credit card right then.

The only way Palm is gonna compete is to jump in the pool and make wifi integration standard on all their new models.

The cost of wifi subs is another issue altogether. My sense is that wifi, for the most part, will be an add-on bonus that people will take advantage of when it's free or when in hardcore need (enter: the airport lounge effect!). At least that's true for me. For example, we have routers all over my workplace. But if I'm out on the road, I use GPRS on my cell which costs me $5/mo for unlimited net access. I have a Symbian OS smartphone, which is why I'm longing for a BT pda.

P.S. Damn Dell and their wifi over BT integration!

Last edited by sUnShInE; 11-13-2004 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:20 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
Yea, you totally pointed to two huge holes in the marketplace that pda manufacturers need to address -- particularly those that pimp the PalmOS. I did some window-shopping on Dell's site last night and when I realized that I could get a 312Mhz PPC with 64Mb Ram and wifi for $204 shipped (via the outlet), I nearly had a heart attack.
Sunshine, if you ever consider buying a Dell PDA, contact me before. I can give you the extension of the Dell rep I was in contact with who can give you better deals than anything you would find online
Old 11-14-2004, 11:55 AM   #5
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Hmm. Better than outlet or edu prices?

I'll IM you when I'm ready to buy!
Advert
Old 11-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
Hmm. Better than outlet or edu prices?

I'll IM you when I'm ready to buy!
Do that, I think it is worth a try You can even "bargain" with those guys!