Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-03-2015, 04:59 AM   #1
laji
Banned
laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: monitor
Book Details

The other probleme in Calibre by using custom columns is, that a "show metadata" window, what was very informative, when I started to use Calibre, now became an absolutely chaos. It shows all custom columns (and in not reorderable way...), but most of them are only technical datas, not for human eyes.

From programing and data managing tools I am familiar only with PHP and MySQL. If compare them with Calibre, I must to say: for the price of ~5× more complicated solutions of Calibre we get ~5% of the power of PHP+MySQL.

Or, other example: as I wrote in other subforum, for managing my musics' metadatas, I use german program Mp3tag. Its (and similar foobar2000 player's) managing ability, with clear, nesteable ans easy understandable functions, actions, exports -- if compare with Calibre...
  • I simply can not understand, why I must to create lately not manageable "columns" for a simple task: to show metadata in modified way (replace, and so on).
  • I simply can not understand, why I must to create more new columns for a simple task: to nest a functions.

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-03-2015 at 06:12 PM.
laji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by laji View Post

The other probleme in Calibre by using custom columns is, that a "show metadata" window, what was very informative, when I started to use Calibre, now became an absolutely chaos. It shows all custom columns (and in not reorderable way...)
That is not quite true!

See Tweak - Order of custom column(s) in edit metadata

Quote:
ID: metadata_edit_custom_column_order

Controls the order that custom columns are listed in edit metadata single and bulk. The columns listed in the tweak are displayed first and in the order provided. Any columns not listed are dislayed after the listed ones, in alphabetical order. Do note that this tweak does not change the size of the edit widgets.

Putting comments widgets in this list may result in some odd widget spacing when using two-column mode.

Enter a comma-separated list of custom field lookup names, as in
metadata_edit_custom_column_order = ['#genre', '#mytags', '#etc']
Apologies DaltonST - but as someone once said "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-03-2015 at 07:28 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
laji
Banned
laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.laji can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Order of custom column(s) in edit metadata
I think, you were not enough attentive. I mean the "Show the detailed metadata for the current book in a separate window", not the editor window.

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-03-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you mean this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	141654

Then Preferences->Look and feel->Book details tab - move columns with right side green arrows

Else show a screen shot of what you're whinging about
Old 09-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
laji
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you mean this

Attachment 141654

Then Preferences->Look and feel->Book details tab - move columns with right side green arrows

Else show a screen shot of what you're whinging about
Yes, you are right, thank you for your help. Maybe, is there a way, too, to not show all custom columns in this window?
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Yes, you are right, thank you for your help. Maybe, is there a way, too, to not show all custom columns in this window?
Not my knowledge, the check boxes apply to the Book Details panel shown on the main window, Shift+Alt+D to toggle.

The free standing version is specifically designed to show all columns that have a value - personally I would rather it show everything, including <empty> columns. The one on the main window is anticipated as being sufficient for most purposes.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-03-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I simply can not understand, why I must to create lately not manageable "columns" for a simple task: to show metadata in modified way (replace, and so on).
I simply can not understand, why I must to create more new columns for a simple task: to nest a functions.
To add to what BetterRed said:

I have a single "testing" column which I use to show temporary queries of interesting things. And since I heavily use General Program Mode, I have never yet used two template columns to do what can be done with one.

BR -- maybe split off the last 7 posts into a new thread?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote