Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Touchscreen not very responsive

I have only had my Aura for less than a week, but so far I am finding it is very frustrating at times. The touchscreen really isn't very good. Do you think this is a problem with the firmware or my actual Aura? The things that happen are:

1. Probably at least 25% of the time (that is being generous) I have to tap the screen multiple times to turn the page or bring up a menu, etc.

2. Freezing twice I have had it freeze where only putting it to sleep and turning it back on resolve it. I realize this isn't that hard but when I have limited time to read every moment counts.

3. The stupid pinch zoom does it when I don't even have two fingers on the screen. And it goes either all the way up or all the way down. I find this crazy and I hate it. I would prefer to turn this off and use the regular way in settings to change font size. It will do it randomly when only trying to flip the page.

I am getting annoyed and when it works I really like the Aura. But the unresponsive or inconsistent touchscreen is making me want to return it (and I don't even know if I can return it). Does anybody know of a fix for this or is it just my device?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Oh and I did send an email to Kobo help. Hoping to hear back. But I thought maybe some of you would know if this was something that is only my device or happening to others. I did read some of the bugs thread, but it is very long. I didn't add the stuff I saw there like the annotations showing the same place in every one.
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
As an Aura owner myself, I have had no problems with responsiveness BUT i will concede the pinch to adjust font size thing isn't very good.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
You can turn the pinch to zoom off. Sorry I don't have an Aura anymore, but it's in the settings (top right corner).

That said, I never had mine freeze, that would be annoying. I think mine was on firmware 3.15? Not the most recent.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai

Thanks for the input. It sounds like maybe some of it is my reader. Support suggested doing a reset. Does anybody know if I will have to add my books again? I assume yes. I will wait until tomorrow to do it so I don't have to do it tonight.
Advert
Old 09-04-2015, 12:37 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
A factory reset will remove everything and you will need to put the sideloaded books on the device again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:12 AM   #7
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtea View Post
You can turn the pinch to zoom off. Sorry I don't have an Aura anymore, but it's in the settings (top right corner).

That said, I never had mine freeze, that would be annoying. I think mine was on firmware 3.15? Not the most recent.
Firmwares 3.15 and up have the pinch to zoom bug. Even if you already had it turned off, it will still work. The only way to stop this from happening is through a patch.
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Care
Aes Sedai

So I followed the instructions she gave but it just said put a paperclip in the hole and it should restart the device. I did that and it didn't restart. I tried holding there a couple minutes and it still didn't restart. So even though she said to turn the device off and hit the reset button, I turned it on and did it. It restarted but didn't reset. All my books and places are still there. What am I doing wrong? I have reset multiple devices and never had an issue.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Using the paperclip method does a basic reset of the device--not a factory reset. The basic reset will leave all the books on the reader. Here's a link for the instructions on doing a basic reset and a factory reset:

https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...ura-hdkobo-glo
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
So I followed the instructions she gave but it just said put a paperclip in the hole and it should restart the device. I did that and it didn't restart. I tried holding there a couple minutes and it still didn't restart. So even though she said to turn the device off and hit the reset button, I turned it on and did it. It restarted but didn't reset. All my books and places are still there. What am I doing wrong? I have reset multiple devices and never had an issue.

i have an aura working perfectly fine on firmware 3.16.0, i have disabled pinch to adjust font size, if i was you i would try the basic reset again you should feel a click when the paper clip presses on it, if your aura just restarts again without working better, then i would do a factory reset by going into settings, and press device information and at the bottom where it says advanced press on factory reset, when it restarts it will be back to the original firmware that it came with, if it is working ok you can then put your books back on, if not i would recommend side loading firmware 3.16.0 on to it, there are posts on here explaining on how to do that, good luck.

btw i always have Wifi turned off.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 09-04-2015 at 02:03 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Using the paperclip method does a basic reset of the device--not a factory reset. The basic reset will leave all the books on the reader. Here's a link for the instructions on doing a basic reset and a factory reset:

https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...ura-hdkobo-glo
OK thank you. I thought it would wipe it. But she told me to turn aura off and do the reset and it didn't work...
Old 09-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #12
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
i have an aura working perfectly fine on firmware 3.16.0, i have disabled pinch to adjust font size, if i was you i would try the basic reset again you should feel a click when the paper clip presses on it, if your aura just restarts again without working better, then i would do a factory reset by going into settings, and press device information and at the bottom where it says advanced press on factory reset, when it restarts it will be back to the original firmware that it came with, if it is working ok you can then put your books back on, if not i would recommend side loading firmware 3.16.0 on to it, there are posts on here explaining on how to do that, good luck.

btw i always have Wifi turned off.

best wishes koboy
Thank you. I have tried the reset many times, it isn't restarting while off (which was what I was told to do by support). I have rooted previous devices and reset devices before, it's not that hard lol. I don't know what I am doing wrong. But I might just factory reset and see what happens. If that doesn't help I will see about sideloading the earlier firmware you suggested.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #13
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Thank you. I have tried the reset many times, it isn't restarting while off (which was what I was told to do by support). I have rooted previous devices and reset devices before, it's not that hard lol. I don't know what I am doing wrong. But I might just factory reset and see what happens. If that doesn't help I will see about sideloading the earlier firmware you suggested.

your welcome, i'm sure you will sort it out.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Pressing the pinhole button only does something if the device is actually running. It is there to restart the device if it becomes unresponsive. You can achieve the same thing by holding the power button in the off position for at least ten seconds and then turning it on. It doesn't reset the firmware or configuration, but because it doesn't save anything like a proper power off, you run the risk of a corrupt database or file system. But, if you get in a situation that you need to do this, you don't have much of a choice.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 PM   #15
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Pressing the pinhole button only does something if the device is actually running. It is there to restart the device if it becomes unresponsive. You can achieve the same thing by holding the power button in the off position for at least ten seconds and then turning it on. It doesn't reset the firmware or configuration, but because it doesn't save anything like a proper power off, you run the risk of a corrupt database or file system. But, if you get in a situation that you need to do this, you don't have much of a choice.
So basically the support lady doesn't even know how their own devices work? LOL, I am not surprised.