Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
cocopuff
Connoisseur
cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simpletouch Glowlight, Kobo Aura H2O
Light issue Aura h2o

Hi all,

Well my kobo h2o came in today and while it was booting up the frontlight was on and there appears to be a "leak" for lack of a better term on the left and middle lights. The other three lights I can see when I look from the top of the screen down, but these two lights can be seen when viewed from a normal reading angle. Is this normal or did I just get a bad screen? Not sure if it's worth returning if it is a fairly common occurrence as 90% of the time I do not use the reading light. Other than this minor issue I love the h2o so far, size is good in hand, and it is much lighter than I thought it would be.

Update: I got the ball rolling with customer service since the light will bug me forever if I don't get it replaced. Found another thread that seemed to indicate this is a defect, and customer service assured me I would get a brand new device to replace mine - not a refurb. Customer service was actually very helpful and understanding about this issue so far will post periodic updates. I am very tempted to submerge my device and play with it before I send it off but I'll probably avoid this urge.

Review: Great device, head and shoulders above my NST w glowlight. Other than the two lights at bottom of screen that are defective, the screen is very clear and even - all the way to the top. It is a much whiter background than my old nook, and I can fit much more text on the page so less page turns. Page turns are a bit quicker than my nook, and the touchscreen is much more accurate. I was a bit concerned with how well this would fit in my hand, but the size and weight are perfect. My nook always seemed too small to hold comfortably without a very bulky cover (with cover it was very nice). The weight is a bit more than the nook, but after reading for a few hours it is still light enough to hold up easily. I love the rubbery material it is made out of makes it very solid to hold. So other than the defective light, this is the perfect ereader for me so it will be exchanged not returned for sure.

Only other issue is my computer is too old to get the newest version of calibre so I will have to move my library to the desktop computer (I love my 7 year old laptop, but it's slowly becoming too outdated for many programs b/c it runs mountain lion)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h2o.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	141674  

Last edited by cocopuff; 09-03-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added review
cocopuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuff View Post
Hi all,

Well my kobo h2o came in today and while it was booting up the frontlight was on and there appears to be a "leak" for lack of a better term on the left and middle lights. The other three lights I can see when I look from the top of the screen down, but these two lights can be seen when viewed from a normal reading angle. Is this normal or did I just get a bad screen?
That isn't normal - you shouldn't have that sort of bright light leak at 90 degrees. It should be straightforward to get a replacement.

Quote:
I love the rubbery material it is made out of makes it very solid to hold.
I recommend using a rigid book-style case at all times. The glass substrate is very fragile in all of these devices. Also avoid extremes of temperature, like leaving the device in a car.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
cocopuff
Connoisseur
cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cocopuff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah it's definitely going into a case as soon as I pick one out. I want it to last as long as my nook if possible. So far I've been happy with kobo's customer service, the number I called got me a real person instead of a robot so that was nice. This will be my home ereader with the nook for traveling.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Is there a problem with H2O and temperatures? I am just back from Greece where I had mine all day in 40 degrees + all day....have not noticed anything wrong with the Kobo...although the case is a different matter...

I recommend using a rigid book-style case at all times. The glass substrate is very fragile in all of these devices. Also avoid extremes of temperature, like leaving the device in a car.[/QUOTE]
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
There have been some reports that excessive heat can cause issues with all eink ereaders.

I don't have my H2O in a case, I really dislike having to open a case to start reading. I've not had an issue with it showing any signs of wear and tear and it's been nearly a year. Though I am careful with it, and it's almost always in a jacket pocket (not shirt nor pants where it would be more likely to sustain some damage). Before the H2O I had various Nook eink models and the only case I had for them was a silicon shell. Again no issues.

Maybe I've just been insanely lucky, but I do at times wonder just how delicate the glass substrate really is, and how much comes from a slightly more rugged treatment of the device.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2015, 01:37 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermano View Post
Is there a problem with H2O and temperatures? I am just back from Greece where I had mine all day in 40 degrees + all day....have not noticed anything wrong with the Kobo...although the case is a different matter...
40 is borderline as an operational temperature, sure, but the temps a car in the sun gets to go far beyond that. Basically if it's a temperature a human can survive in without needing airconditioning or significant protective clothing, the Kobo (or any other eink reader) should be ok. Below freezing or above the highest fever a person can withstand, though, avoid those temps. And avoid very sudden and dramatic changes in temperature.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #7
crochetgeek2010
Enthusiast
crochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy bluecrochetgeek2010 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
No the light is not normal. Do not expect a tracking number from support. Case wise I have found love in Mulbess - Kobo Aura H2O 2014 eReader eBook Stand Case Cover mine has a handle. I multi-task so having the stand is wonderful so I can crochet and read

Laura
crochetgeek2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
cocopuff
Connoisseur

Well I received my replacement today and guess what...same issue. It only affects the center light this time, but I am still very disappointed. Also, despite being assured I was getting a brand new device and not a refurbished one, the replacement looks like it has been opened So off to round two with kobo customer service. I must say I love reading on my h2o, but the problems with it seem to keep stacking up. Hopefully the next one I get will be free from defects. I might try and finagle a free sleepcover for it if I have to go another round with them