Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-03-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
B&N Announces the Galaxy Tab S2 Nook

Barnes & Noble has just sent out a press release for its newest tablet.

The Galaxy Tab S2 Nook is an iPad Mini clone which runs Android 5.0 Lollipop on an 8-core CPU with 3GB RAM. It has two cameras (8MP and 2.1MP), 32GB storage, and both Wifi and Bluetooth.

It's available today in B&N stores and on Nook.com with a retail price of $399.

The Digital Reader
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
As you mentioned, they're competing with other retailers. Really surprised they haven't discounted the price, at least initially. Simply to create a buzz. Where is the creativity?

The S2 comes in white, gold and black. I understand not offering all of them, but they could stock the white and black. All of my devices are white (except eink), so the black one doesn't appeal to me. I would have to buy somewhere else.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just returned from visiting the store. They had the S2 on display. I immediately was impressed with the ergonomics and screen quality. As mentioned previously, I prefer 4:3 for reading. For some reason it feels incredibly natural in the palm of my hand. I've never had a tablet rest in my hand like that.

I was sold on the S2 and went to Best Buy a few stores down. This one has a Samsung Experience front and center. Of course they had the 8" and 9.7" next to each other for comparison. The larger size is quite impressive in terms of weight and thinness. I came in expecting to grab a white 8", instead I left with the larger one in gold.

I placed both Tab S devices on Craigslist last night. Time to put the iPad Air on there before the Air 3 is released!
Old 09-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Somehow I don't think that is the reaction they were hoping to inspire.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Somehow I don't think that is the reaction they were hoping to inspire.
I know. If they offered white, along with a significant discount, I would have seriously considered buying one. I still want the 8", but don't want to pay $400. I always sell my devices, and that BN branding would hurt. If it were cheaper, I would roll the dice.

Last edited by SCION; 09-03-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
I like the 4:3 screen. Is this the first 4:3 Nook tablet?
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I think the price is too high.
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For a full discussion on this new tablet, please also see the NEWS forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=264805

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #9
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I saw the tablet in the store today!! It's very thin and light. It does have ms office on it so that's a plus . Best buy has the regular version for $100 with trade of working tablet and they have a variety of colors.
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #10
AnitainTN
Member, Nooks Anonymous
AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.

Device: SGTS2-8, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgadgets View Post
... Best buy has the regular version for $100 with trade of working tablet and they have a variety of colors.
Careful, the rebate depends on which tablet you turn in. A Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" was worth $2. Yup, $2. I've heard some ipad gets you $100, but I couldn't tell you which.
AnitainTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitainTN View Post
Careful, the rebate depends on which tablet you turn in. A Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" was worth $2. Yup, $2. I've heard some ipad gets you $100, but I couldn't tell you which.
For this promo the minimum trade-in value is $50, for which they give you a Best Buy gift card (to be applied toward any purchase). You then get a $50 off coupon to only be applied to a Tab S2.

You can visit http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Electron...irect=trade+in to determine the actual trade-in value for a device.

Last edited by SCION; 09-06-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #12
AnitainTN
Member, Nooks Anonymous
AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.

Interesting....I got the $2 from their calculator yesterday, the calculator is down just now when I tried the link, but it says "any tablet" according to this on their website (from the link, emphasis mine, little ad box on the right):

"Trade Up to the New Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

Get the Galaxy Tab S2 8" for $299.99 or the 9.7" for $399.99 after $100 trade-in bonus when you trade in any working tablet.
In store only. Terms and conditions apply."

Maybe it's evolving as they watch the on-line chatter.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Right, without the promotion that is what you would receive ($2). That calculator is not promotion related. My trade-in value was $34 using the calculator. When I went to the store and informed customer service I want the Tab S2 promotion, she verified the trade-in value as $34, and I received a $50 gift card for the trade-in and a $50 off coupon for the Tab S2. That's how it works in the store.That is a total of $100 which I chose to apply the entire gift card amount and the $50 off coupon when I purchased the S2.

I also traded in a tablet for $160 and another one for $170. For those I only received gift cards, to be applied towards anything. I originally had all my devices on Craigslist, but went the trade-in route instead.

Last edited by SCION; 09-06-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

BN should have offered $100 off when you trade in a Nook tablet.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #15
AnitainTN
Member, Nooks Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
BN should have offered $100 off when you trade in a Nook tablet.
Yes, they should! I'll certainly vote for this.

Thanks for the clarification on the BB promotion, too.