Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2015, 05:52 AM   #1
GeekPenguin
GeekPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Extremely slow even after factory reset

Hi, I'm having an issue with my Aura, extremely slow operation. every task at least takes about 30 seconds to execute ( changing page, return, library, store, every thing) even after factory restore. I don't know why it happened. I only used this only for a handful of times, then I just tossed it to my bag in hope I could have time read it. In the end, I've never had a chance to even touch it. Months passed, I finally got time to use it again. Here it is, lagging like crazy. 30 sec to flip a page? I only even have 5 books there. No sd card.

I've tried updating it to latest update I got from here, checked the date and time. I ran out of ideas.

Here's what I did,
factory reset > update> still slow > factory reset > stuck on 5 bar loading

EDIT:
I do know how to do light and power reset, but it goes back the way it was again.

Last edited by GeekPenguin; 08-21-2015 at 06:03 AM.
GeekPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

still have warranty? contact Kobo if you do.

Kobo Live Assistance
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2015, 05:29 AM   #3
AlterusPrime
Enthusiast
AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
Maybe your internal sd is corrupted? IIRC, some glo's came with "corrupted" internal memory that lead to unstable and laggy behavior. If you don't have a warranty - try following this guide, it won't hurt if done properly: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122
AlterusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Except the Aura does not have internal SD... so if it's that, the device is broke
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
AlterusPrime
Enthusiast
AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
Oh. Not an option then, my mistake.
AlterusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2015, 03:24 AM   #6
GeekPenguin

Just contacted kobo.. They decided that the sreen is busted and gonna send someone to replace my unit with the new one. Hope it's fast and hassle free. I don't really have a good experience using kobo. I got bunch of dead pixels in the first few days of usage, the initial setup is PITA, and now this! I'll update soon!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 PM   #7
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
I had an Aura that had lock-up issues, and they replaced it pretty painlessly. When I got the new Aura, I found it responded faster, especially opening books, but page turns seemed faster too - I would not have known it was slow had I not needed the replacement. The new one is great - I hope you have a similar experience.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
GeekPenguin

Well, my Aura is marked as M.I.A. sent it to Melbourne for replacement.. Nowhere to be seen again. Exchange email back and forth to kobo support didn't help. I don't like it anyway. So I got a reason to buy me a 2015 3g paperwhite! Woohoo, hands down, best ereader so far. 300 ppi Whiter screen. Yes I'm looking at your yellowish and blurry screen, aura! I don't understand why some people don't like amazon environment. Kobo looks pale compared to this! Anyway, thanks guys! Case closed!
Old 09-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
That's a shame, i'm still surprised that such a high number of ereaders fall at the first. I know that people with problems are more likely to post so that can askew the view of the situation as it where but still.

Thankfully after 1 swap because of a dead pixel a couple of years ago ive been problem free. (well ereader problem free anyway) One happy Aura owner.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekPenguin View Post
I don't like it anyway. So I got a reason to buy me a 2015 3g paperwhite! Woohoo, hands down, best ereader so far. 300 ppi Whiter screen. Yes I'm looking at your yellowish and blurry screen, aura!
Yes, because you're comparing old screen tech with new. Put a new Paperwhite next to a new Kobo Glo HD or Aura H2O if you want a more reasonable comparison.

Enjoy your device.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekPenguin View Post
Yes I'm looking at your yellowish and blurry screen, aura!
I've been very happy with my Aura and don't find the screen to be pale or yellow at all. Keep the backlight on and the screen will always be bright, white, and clear with negligible impact on the battery life. Actually, that's what the Paperwhite does, too. Its default setting is to have the light on which is why the screen is always bright and clear, but as I said, you can achieve the same thing with an Aura.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But don't forget, when you compare the PW3 with the Glo HD or the H2O, also compare the greater number of settings options you have with Kobo and you do with Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote