Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Audiobooks removed from a Kindle Fire

I have two kindle fires, both HDXs, a 7 and an 8.9. I keep all my unlistened to audiobooks on both devices. Today I noticed that both devices only had the book I was currently listing to which was downloaded on the 12th, the rest, roughly 41 books, were no longer on the device.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could have removed the books?

I've tried ringing Audible and Amazon kindle support but each side says it's the other sides issue and no one has any idea anyway. Right now I'm pissed off and tbh something like this would prevent me from ever buying a Fire again as whats the point if they can remove my books when they like, i might as well download them and transfer them to an ipod. At least they can't remove my books from an ipod!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Did you update the OS or the Audible app on the Fires recently? I don't listen to audiobooks on my Fire, but I did have this problem on my iPhone after one of the Audible app updates. The update removed all my books from the device including the one I was listening to. When I re-downloaded the book I had been listening to, it had lost my place.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlemom1 View Post
Did you update the OS or the Audible app on the Fires recently? I don't listen to audiobooks on my Fire, but I did have this problem on my iPhone after one of the Audible app updates. The update removed all my books from the device including the one I was listening to. When I re-downloaded the book I had been listening to, it had lost my place.
I did get a software update to both kindles on the 4th August so that's a possibility, I just don't know for sure when they were removed. I was listening to another book last week that had been on my Kindle for ages, and that wasn't affected. It's more the time it takes to redownload them that's a pain, plus the ability to get any help out of Amazon or Audible.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
This has never happened to me on my Fire HDX OR my wife's Fire HD 6, all of the audio books are still there.

Soo, your paranoia aside, this may have been a glitch. Did the storage space that your tablet reports to you change as well? Did it go from 20Gb used down to 2 or 3 or anything?

It does suck that neither Amazon nor Amazon (sorry, Audible (both Amazon )) wanted to help you. You can of course just go and download the books from your Audible library again. So at least there is an easy fix if neither one of them can explain why it happened in the first place.

Good luck.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
This has never happened to me on my Fire HDX OR my wife's Fire HD 6, all of the audio books are still there.

Soo, your paranoia aside, this may have been a glitch. Did the storage space that your tablet reports to you change as well? Did it go from 20Gb used down to 2 or 3 or anything?

It does suck that neither Amazon nor Amazon (sorry, Audible (both Amazon )) wanted to help you. You can of course just go and download the books from your Audible library again. So at least there is an easy fix if neither one of them can explain why it happened in the first place.

Good luck.
Yes the storage confirmed they had gone. I've downloaded 10 again to each kindle but I'll not add any more as I can't be sure they won't go again. It was probably a glitch as you say but it's more than a little annoying considering how long it takes to download an audiobook in the first place.
Advert
Old 08-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Yes the storage confirmed they had gone. I've downloaded 10 again to each kindle but I'll not add any more as I can't be sure they won't go again. It was probably a glitch as you say but it's more than a little annoying considering how long it takes to download an audiobook in the first place.
Very weird, but I'm sure it has happened before to others. It is definitely annoying and depending on the speed of your internet connection and the quality level of the audio book it can definitely be a pain to download the books again.

But at least you didn't lose access to anything.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #7
Medeph
Medeph began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX
I have 2 Fire HDX 7s and this has happened to me more than once recently on both of them. Occasionally, the audiobook has gone completely and I have to download it. More usually, the audiobook is still there and just the link in the library has gone. All it takes is a click on the audiobook in the cloud and it appears again in the library.

Replacing the audiobooks, whether they have really disappeared or not, is time-consuming and more than a little annoying. It's obviously a glitch in the software, one of a number I've come across recently.

I wouldn't hold out any hope of anyone either at Audible or Kindle doing anything about it. They'll promise you this, that and the other, but nothing ever seems to happen.

Last edited by Medeph; 08-23-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Medeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
Anthem
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medeph View Post
I wouldn't hold out any hope of anyone either at Audible or Kindle doing anything about it. They'll promise you this, that and the other, but nothing ever seems to happen.
You may have something here: it took Amazon more than a year to finally fix a bug in the reading software on the Fire HDX that would cause random reboots. I felt so good when they finally fixed it... but Fire OS still has a lot of bugs to work through. What are you going to do, you know?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I never expect Amazon to fix anything. Unless their own tech guys spot a problem we might as well be chasing the wind.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
Anthem
Guru

Quote:
I never expect Amazon to fix anything. Unless their own tech guys spot a problem we might as well be chasing the wind.
I guess that is why they are famous for their customer support...
Old 08-25-2015, 03:52 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I guess that is why they are famous for their customer support...
If you assume their famous 'customer support' fixes all problems then you are sadly mistaken.

Anything wrong with your kindle, let's replace it, or in my case 'why by don't you do a factory reset, let's see if wiping everything off your kindle can get your audio books back without you having to 're download them!' And yes that was said to me as a solution

Anything beyond the 'norm' and Amazon front line support don't have a clue. I had three separate emails from Audible support telling me how sorry they were and my issue would be referred to tech support, have I heard anything? No, and will I, very very doubtful.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
Anthem
Guru

Quote:
If you assume their famous 'customer support' fixes all problems then you are sadly mistaken.
Spoken like the truly disgruntled. Only an idiot would assume that a companies reputation precludes their ability to deviate from it.

Quote:
Anything wrong with your kindle, let's replace it, or in my case 'why by don't you do a factory reset, let's see if wiping everything off your kindle can get your audio books back without you having to 're download them!' And yes that was said to me as a solution
Oh tech support! First, I would think that just downloading the audiobooks again would be the simplest and most obvious "fix" for a disappearing audiobook. Second, why would they think that doing a factory reset would bring data BACK?! That's just crazy thinking. Hahaha

The spice of life, is support.

Quote:
Anything beyond the 'norm' and Amazon front line support don't have a clue. I had three separate emails from Audible support telling me how sorry they were and my issue would be referred to tech support, have I heard anything? No, and will I, very very doubtful.
If this is your experience with a company famous for their customer support then just imagine the kind of support you would get from a company like Kobo or Vudu. I can answer that so you don't have to imagine it, by the way: nothing. There is no support from either of them. I couldn't even successfully CONTACT either of those companies to get my problems fixed. At least you have talked to Amazon and Audible.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

First of all I have every right to be a bit disgruntled when an update causes me to lose data from my device.

Secondly I rarely expect tech support from anyone, invariably I know more than the customer services reps.

I work in testing. I know exactly how many bugs are in software, I deal with it every day. I also know how much testing 'should' precede a release and also how much is likely dropped as they've run out of time.

Don't patronize a legitimate complaint and save your condescending attitude for someone else.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #14
Anthem
Guru

Quote:
First of all I have every right to be a bit disgruntled when an update causes me to lose data from my device.
Agreed, thankfully it wasn't a catastrophic problem like you losing purchases without explanation. In our cloud centric age that is what most worries me with our devices these days. The device doesn't even begin to worry me, but the "content" that is tied to a company who runs a service. Usually, the device is simply a conduit for getting to that content. I guess it is about perspective. Ours are obviously incredibly different.

Quote:
Secondly I rarely expect tech support from anyone, invariably I know more than the customer services reps.
Technical support is something we should expect from companies. If they sell us a product they should be responsible for the support and that is part of what we are purchasing much of the time (and there are some legal requirements at very base levels that they (mostly) begrudgingly abide by). This seems obvious to me...
Old 08-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
Breathinlady
Zealot
Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Fire HD,HD6,10HD,2 Fire Phones iPod touch, iPad3, Nexus 10
Change background color

I loaned my extra phone and when it came back the background color had changed! How can I change it back to black?
I am not talking to the lock screen 3d graphic.
Any help would be appreciated.
Breathinlady is offline   Reply With Quote