Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-31-2015, 01:37 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thinking about buying a Kindle Voyage, question about the internet

I haven't used an eink ereader in a few years and have never had a Kindle; I still have my Sony 950 but it's lain by the wayside as I've used an iPad mini for reading. I'm looking at the Kindle Voyage 3G but want to know how the internet works on it while reading. I've viewed a youtube of the experimental browser so I have an idea of using the regular internet but I'm more interested in using it while reading for quick lookups. Specifically, is there any shortcut to select a word or words in a book and then jump to google or wikipedia? And if so, how well does it work?

While we're on the subject, rarely I might see the title of a piece of music in a book and want to hear how it sounds; ironically, the youtube video I watched didn't show how well or if youtube would work on the browser. Any experience with that?

By the way, I heard the rumour is a new version in November but I don't think I want to wait that long.

Last edited by sun surfer; 07-31-2015 at 04:38 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:46 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is no audio on any Kindle eink reader, including the Voyage.
Youtube won't work at all. The screen refresh rate is too slow for video.

You can jump to wikipedia. I don't think google is an option.

3G only works with the Kindle store, wikipedia, and the translation function. Otherwise, you have to use wifi.

You may actually want a tablet, if you need audio and video. Eink is just for reading.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2015, 02:01 AM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the quick and informative response!

Does wikipedia open in a box within the book, or does it switch over to the complete browser for it? And if I want to search in google while reading, how cumbersome would you say it is to switch to the browser?

It's a shame about the sound, but not a deal-breaker. Mainly I'm trying to wrap my head around how easy and quick it will be to look up info while reading since I do a lot of that.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:31 AM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
For Google search you must memorize the word(s) (since there is no "Copy" for selected text), then: Menu>Home (yes, you must exit the book you're reading)>Menu>Experimental browser>type in google.com> type in word(s) if you still remember it/them And I think, ( never owned 3G Kindle model ) you can't use 3G for that, you must use WiFi.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:32 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Thanks for the quick and informative response!

Does wikipedia open in a box within the book, or does it switch over to the complete browser for it? And if I want to search in google while reading, how cumbersome would you say it is to switch to the browser?

It's a shame about the sound, but not a deal-breaker. Mainly I'm trying to wrap my head around how easy and quick it will be to look up info while reading since I do a lot of that.
If you press on a word a pop up appears with both the dictionary and Wikipedia. You can press go to Wikipedia and the screen flips over. Then you can the press the < button to go back. What I did notice is that I couldn't search within Wikipedia, the flip is only for the word I highlighted. To get to Wikipedia and search you need to leave the book and select menu and then Experimental Browser. Then go back to your book via the home button. The Internet experience isn't that good though so don't buy a Voyage for the Internet.

I never use the browser on my Voyage or any ereader, it's awkward and very slow.

Last edited by Josieb1; 07-31-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2015, 04:36 AM   #6
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Thanks to all of you; that's exactly what I wanted to know. I have a very clear idea now of its functionality on that front. I'm not expecting great internet in eink; I'll be happy for the wikipedia.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:24 AM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

And ordered, along with an origami premium leather case. It was a splurge but it's my first new device in years, I had $50 off and I think my eyes are going to thank me! It's only taken slightly over five years since I joined this site and entered the world of ereading for the Amazonian kindlemonster to finally snare me.

After my last post above, I was very lucky to receive a credit when I was already going to buy a Kindle. It was serendipity. Amazon may (or may not) offer a Kindle discount to more people during the next week.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:48 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Excellent! Do let us know your thoughts on it, when it arrives.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I think your eyes will thank you. I switched from a Palm Pilot (think Really Teeny) to the first Kindle for the e-ink, and have been so very thankful that I did! I *also* have a tablet, for doing the other kinds of things you've discussed. But when I read, I read for hours at a time. My eyes appreciate the pampering.
Age 58 but don't tell anybody
badgoodDeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I will Harry. badgoodDeb, that's great, and I'm excited! I've missed eink.