Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-09-2004, 11:20 AM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Earthcomber

I just came across a new Palm application that notes mentioning. Earthcomber is a free "virtual treasure map" for Palm devices that provides location-based information and notifies you when you are in range of your personal favorites.

Best utilized with a Bluetooth GPS receiver or Smartphone, it can also work for offline PDA's by telling the map where you are. Earthcomber notifies you when you are within range of favorite stores, services, attractions, libraries, post offices, shopping malls, hospitals -- essentially whatever spot you tell it you're interested in. You can select from their pre-existing lists, or add your own. Over 1.2 million U.S. points of interest are mapped, and more are added each day by content partners and by advertisers that purchase listings.

Earthcomber is spam-free, and with it you determine what info you want to receive and that which you don't. You can search for favorites from .2 miles all the way up to 100 miles away.

Unlike similar applications, Earthcomber can work from external media. Plus, users choose what maps they wish to carry. Check out the user guide for more info and get ready to start combing.

Last edited by sUnShInE; 11-09-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Great find!
Advert
Old 11-10-2004, 11:17 AM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
It seems good, but...

...it only works with Windows. I was bummed to have gone through the entire process of signing up and such only to discover that Mac users weren't supported. (I guess I should have looked for that somewhere first.)

Anyway, I'm still a member and I'll try it on my tablet PC with my backup T|3. (Then maybe I can BT the app. and data from the T|3 to the Z2.) I'll let you guys know.
POL9A
Old 11-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
I'm a Mac guy too and wasn't surprised...where's the love for us Mac heads? I guess it's good that I have a Windoze PeeCee at work.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:04 PM   #5
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Mac OS X Support.

I just got an e-mail from EarthComber stating that Mac OS X support is in the works and should be available "in about a week." I hope so because it's a cool program and it's a supreme pain to configure my EC account on my Mac (although I suppose I could do it on my PC), but then to HotSync my T|3 with my PC and then send over al the databases to my Z2. A one-shot solution is much preferred.
POL9A
Advert
Old 11-17-2004, 06:44 PM   #6
JimBrady
JimBrady began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 600, 12 Palms, 2 Sny
We're with you

Give us a day. The download page is turning out nicely, and you will be able to get all your personalized files, maps, comb databases - the works.

In fact, it's being coded by esteemed colleagues who live the Linux lifestyle.

Thanks for hanging in there...
Old 11-21-2004, 04:19 AM   #7
dsohr
dsohr began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 600
Earthcomber Now Supports Mac & Linux

The Earthcomber web site now includes a page that allows you to manually download everything you need. See the Download page of www.earthcomber.com.

Please pass the word!

Thanks.
Earthcomber Support