Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Barnes & Noble closing all ebook stores except US and UK

News from The Digital Reader

On the 7th August 2015, Barnes & Noble will close down all their ebook stores except for the USA and UK ones.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-10-2015 at 03:31 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm surprised to learn that they had bookstores in any other countries. They certainly didn't do much to advertise the fact.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
They were via a Windows 8 app only.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Guess who's waiting in the wings?

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm surprised to learn that they had bookstores in any other countries. They certainly didn't do much to advertise the fact.
I can recall them mentioning it when the Win 8 app came out, but never saw them do anything more than that really. Not that I'd have necessarily seen much since I wouldn't have been in those specific markets.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-08-2015 at 05:14 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I had no idea they'd even re-opened their store for Canadians again*.

It's times like this when you can almost kind of see the backtrail of poor communications and baffling marketing decisions that got B&N to the prominence among e-book aficionados it enjoys† today.

* A long, long time ago, it used to be that you could officially buy a bare handful of titles that were listed as being available for Canadians through the main store with a Canadian address, which I did when one popped up on deep-discount availability. Then they cut off that avenue entirely to make their store fully US-only (before the eventual NOOK.com UK expansion, which incidentally has never listed any countries in its set-your-location drop-down menu besides the UK and US, an international Gentle Reader-compatible nicety the main store didn't even bother with) and never made any mention whatsoever that they were bringing it back.

† Reviled‡.

‡ Yeah, still bitter over Fictionwise. And all the other stuff since then.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Well, B&N has shut out a Canadian market ever since I got my first e-reader, and I always found that to be a puzzling business model--to turn away potential customers.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Does anyone know what's going to happen to all those non-US/UK Nook customers? Will they lose their books or will they get adopted by another ebookseller (Kobo?).
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I hope you guys realise that when Kobo finally goes over to the dark side, we're all going to be royally screwed.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I hope you guys realise that when Kobo finally goes over to the dark side, we're all going to be royally screwed.
At the risk of sounding really stupid, what are you implying?
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
At the risk of sounding really stupid, what are you implying?
He thinks that, in the long run, Kobo will go under.

I don't see it happening any time soon so I am not worrying over it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I had no idea they'd even re-opened their store for Canadians again*.

It's times like this when you can almost kind of see the backtrail of poor communications and baffling marketing decisions that got B&N to the prominence among e-book aficionados it enjoys† today.

* A long, long time ago, it used to be that you could officially buy a bare handful of titles that were listed as being available for Canadians through the main store with a Canadian address, which I did when one popped up on deep-discount availability. Then they cut off that avenue entirely to make their store fully US-only (before the eventual NOOK.com UK expansion, which incidentally has never listed any countries in its set-your-location drop-down menu besides the UK and US, an international Gentle Reader-compatible nicety the main store didn't even bother with) and never made any mention whatsoever that they were bringing it back.

† Reviled‡.

‡ Yeah, still bitter over Fictionwise. And all the other stuff since then.
The store wasn't available in Canada? I could have sworn it was.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True story: a person who worked in Sweden's publishing industry learned that the Nook Store had launched in Sweden when I happened to mention it in a post.

I'm not kidding; I have the email.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The store wasn't available in Canada? I could have sworn it was.
I have no idea.

I have a supplementary Canadian account at B&N which I used for "real" purchases while you could still do a handful of them from Canada, which should still be subscribed to any newsletter emails they send out, and B&N never, ever bothered informing me in any way, shape, or form that they were re-opening availability of their ebookstore in Canada (if in fact they did), even if it was just via the Windows 8 app mentioned upthread.

Which, I guess, is kind of the point, since a lot of people seemed to have completely overlooked that they had attempted non-UK international operations at all, since apparently B&N just didn't bother to send out notices to anyone who might have had, I don't know, some sort of interest in seeing e-books go on sale in those countries?
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
He thinks that, in the long run, Kobo will go under.

I don't see it happening any time soon so I am not worrying over it.
How much longer do you think Rakuten will keep funding Kobo?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote