Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-09-2004, 05:10 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Avantgo is still doing well

Avantgo still seems to do well. According to a press release by its parent company iAnywhere, AvantGo marks its five-year anniversary with the achievement of one billion subscriber synchronizations:

An average user subscribes to 6-8 channels of content with about 100 pages of content per sync. Nearly half of AvantGo users view content on their device at least once per day.

"Reaching one billion syncs demonstrates the popularity and maturity of AvantGo and the strength of our technology," said Neil Versen, senior director of AvantGo at iAnywhere. "Adding to our billionth sync achievement, we have established ourselves as a pioneer and leader in mobile advertising. It’s a testament to the fact that mobile marketing works when many of our partners continue to renew their campaigns and validate that the medium is a powerful, cost-effective way to build brand awareness and acquire new customers."

I am not sure how to evaluate this statement, but it appears that AvantGo is focusing more on ads-delivering than content-providing nowadays. With the emergence of various offline-browser alternatives (iSilo, Plucker, MobiPocket), and the fact that more and more people use online browsing via WiFi, I would be very surprised to see AvantGo gain any further market momentum in the future.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:57 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
With the emergence of various offline-browser alternatives (iSilo, Plucker, MobiPocket), and the fact that more and more people use online browsing via WiFi, I would be very surprised to see AvantGo gain any further market momentum in the future.
They certainly aren't helping themselves any by having all these "server difficulties" that keep people from downloading their channels, nor by from ignoring the Mac market.

I wonder if the paid AG customers have these downloading issues, or if they get shoved to the front of the line and all of their channel downloading is what's making it difficult for the rest of us. (By us, I mean I'm a Mac guy who has given up on AG on the Mac and turned to iSilo for solace, but I was given a PC and play with AG on it with my T|3.)
POL9A
Advert