Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Amazon listens to authors; changes KU pay to per-page model

https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A156OS90J7RDN
Quote:
Beginning July 1, 2015, we'll switch from paying Kindle Unlimited (KU) and Kindle Owners' Lending Library (KOLL) royalties based on qualified borrows, to paying based on the number of pages read. We're making this switch in response to great feedback we received from authors who asked us to better align payout with the length of books and how much customers read. Under the new payment method, you'll be paid for each page individual customers read of your book, the first time they read it.
No real impact to readers except now it no longer favors shorts and serials over novels quite as much.

They are also introducing a new metric:

Quote:

Kindle Edition Normalized Page Count (KENPC v1.0)

To determine a book's page count in a way that works across genres and devices, we've developed the Kindle Edition Normalized Page Count (KENPC). We calculate KENPC based on standard settings (e.g. font, line height, line spacing, etc.), and we'll use KENPC to measure the number of pages customers read in your book, starting with the Start Reading Location (SRL) to the end of your book. Amazon typically sets SRL at chapter 1 so readers can start reading the core content of your book as soon as they open it.

This standardized approach allows us to identify pages in a way that works across genres and devices. Non-text elements within books including images, charts and graphs will count toward a book’s KENPC.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Hmmm, wonder what this does if the reader is the type who reads the last few pages of the book first before deciding to start. (Not my thing, but I know people who do this all the time). Will the author get credit for the entire book? And if so, will authors of novels try to game the system by asking their fanbase to borrow the books and just turn to the last pages?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Hmmm, wonder what this does if the reader is the type who reads the last few pages of the book first before deciding to start. (Not my thing, but I know people who do this all the time). Will the author get credit for the entire book? And if so, will authors of novels try to game the system by asking their fanbase to borrow the books and just turn to the last pages?
No, that's not how kindles work.
Remember, Kindles track your reading speed page by page, not just the last page seen.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Remember, Kindles track your reading speed page by page, not just the last page seen.
This is new to me...I didn't realize kindle tracked how much I read in each book....I always assumed they tracked how many books, and what kinds....but page-by-page!! Intrusive much?!?!?
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:19 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
That is a nice change. Sounds interesting. Wonder if that motivates bigger publishers to put some of their backlist into KU. Obviously not the BPH.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2015, 01:22 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
cf. the Time Left to Read feature. No one has ever confirmed that that is either uploaded to Amazon servers or confined to the Kindle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:16 AM   #7
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
"Amazon typically sets SRL at chapter 1 so readers can start reading the core content of your book as soon as they open it."

That's interesting. I always assumed it was the publisher that decided that. I don't like it, personally; I'd rather start at the cover.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
"Amazon typically sets SRL at chapter 1 so readers can start reading the core content of your book as soon as they open it."

That's interesting. I always assumed it was the publisher that decided that. I don't like it, personally; I'd rather start at the cover.
It is the publisher who sets it. Perhaps the article means that Amazon set a "default start reading" position if the book creator hasn't included one?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:36 AM   #9
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Another reason, my Kindle stays 'off the grid' with wireless off. I cut it off long enough to download the book, then it goes right back to airplane mode.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:09 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Being a short story, essay, and poetry writer I prefer the old method. Not that any of my books are at this point on KU etc. but it also seems this method is flawed in that it requires page tracking which is not going to work any better than counting 'book' sales.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:04 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Being a short story, essay, and poetry writer I prefer the old method. Not that any of my books are at this point on KU etc. but it also seems this method is flawed in that it requires page tracking which is not going to work any better than counting 'book' sales.
Why not?
How so?
Why isn't page tracking going to work?

Publishing has long paid by length and since Amazon is paying by a standard page metric they are in effect paying by the word. Only it is by words *read* rather than words published. Which makes sense because the only real constraint on KU consumption is "eyeball-hours", the amount of time the subscriber can spend reading in a given month. Payment is fixed, number of subscribers is fixed, and over the total subscriber base the average reading speed and time is going to be fixed. Amazon will thus be able to set the monthly payment pool at a satusfactory (for them) per word rate. And payout will be the same if the subscriber reads 30 10,000 word shorts or 4 75,000 word novels.

A lot of authors have been lobbying for this. Very publicly.
For example:
http://www.hughhowey.com/new-ku-payout-structure/

So Amazon took a new look at their system and changed it.

One notable change is that the old 10% threshold goes away. Now authors get paid even if the reader fails to reach the threshold. Conversely, the author only gets full pay for books that are read fully.

Which means books like THE GOLDFINCH are now poor candidates for KU.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-16-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hopefully this'll mean the end of the "serial novels" that authors have been using purely as a mechanism for making more money on KU. As a reader, I loath them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hopefully this'll mean the end of the "serial novels" that authors have been using purely as a mechanism for making more money on KU. As a reader, I loath them.
If they are doing it solely to game the system.

However, if the story itself is episodic there are good reasons to stick with the serial format, chief among them visibility. There is (marketing) value in having a longer list of titles in the catalog.

Serials have been around pretty much forever (I doubt Homer performed THE ODYSSEY in one loonnngggg session. ) and will be with us for a long time.

Proper serials are a narrative form unto themselves, just as TV series are distinct from movies. There's room aplenty in the ebook world.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-16-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:36 AM   #14
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Another reason, my Kindle stays 'off the grid' with wireless off. I cut it off long enough to download the book, then it goes right back to airplane mode.
You'll just update the stats the next time you connect to download a book. At most what you'll achieve is delay the time the author gets paid.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
You'll just update the stats the next time you connect to download a book. At most what you'll achieve is delay the time the author gets paid.
I don't think that is completely true, particularly if you download, de-drm, and transfer to your reader(s).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote