Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

View Poll Results: Which kind of storage memory do you prefer?
I like microdrives because they can store more data. 2 28.57%
I prefer flash cards because they are more reliable. 5 71.43%
I am not happy with either one, because...(explain) 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2004, 05:04 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Which is better: Microdrive or flash memory?

Here is a cool question for you, asked today in the Inquirer: Which is better: Microdrive or flash memory?

First the article talks about durability Microdrives apparantly don't like high altitudes, whereas CompactFlash cards don't mind hot coffee. So the point goes to flash memory.

It then goes on comparing overall cost/absolute storage capacity. Costs for 1GB flash (either SD or Compact Flash memory) range $60-100, whereas costs for 1GB microdrive is around $32. The author thinks the price gap is only temporary:

It's a pretty safe bet to say they'll be some aggressive price cutting on flash memory and devices built around flash in the next six months so they can get some separation from microdrive-based devices.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:54 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Closely related to this discussion, BargainPDA has a small roundup of the various flash memory types that are available.
Advert
Old 11-08-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Microdrives consume way more battery power, don't they? So unless battery technology is vastly improved, I think Flash memory stays in the lead.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:07 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I've go to go with flash memory.... no moving parts, solid state all the way!!!

Craig.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:51 PM   #5
sonypda
sonypda began at the beginning.

Device: Sony NZ90
Lightbulb Microdrives

I use a 2.2gb microdrive (Clie NZ90 + 3200ma bat-extender) for viewing movies on my 2 hour train trip home, I can store about 17hrs of DVD quality movies/TV shows on the microdrive, with the battery extender ($7.95-Ebay) I can get about 11hrs of viewing (50%Brtness), I usually have only about 8hrs of video and the rest is MP3's, It has been in use for 1yr and no problems so far....
Advert
Old 11-09-2004, 05:23 AM   #6
drc54
Enthusiast
drc54 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm m515, now TX
Had my share of bad luck with MMC, oh, about 2 years ago. Bought a 64Mb SD SanDisk, turn out to be a dud. Would randomly stop working, trashing all the files. I know I should have kept my receipt and claim warranty, but hey, it's solid state isn't it?

Well, have bought several other non branded MMC/SD card as a replacement. They are usually 20% cheaper than branded one and most will have some sort of warranty. Now I keep the receipt for all my purchases. Last one was 256Mb which stores just about 50 of my favorite musics on my Nokia 6230. But after a week or so listening to them on my daily commute, I can understand why people go for the 40Gb or more IPod solution.

So until they can come up with a 16Gb MMC/SD or more, I'll avoid buying a flash based MP3 player. You either have to a collection of MMC or spend every other day recycling the content. And just to complete the picture, replacing the content of the MMC card on my phone is no joy. Have to remove the battery, or use Bluetooth (5 minutes per song transfer speed?), or if I want to spend dollar, using Nokia's DKU-2 data cable.

Regards,
Deva
Old 11-10-2004, 07:12 AM   #7
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I only have flash memory-based devices, so obviously I am favoring flash memory The question is: Is flash memory really more reliable than microdrives, as the articles pointed out by Morpheus suggest? I've heard scary things about flash memory, such as limited write capabilites.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:40 PM   #8
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
From what I've heard, read and experience, flash is hardier and more reliable (no moving parts, remember). To illustrate, I forgot to take my 64MB SD card out of my shirt pocket before doing my laundry a few months back.... oops.... left it to dry for a day or two, plugged it in.... it worked!

Try _that_ with a microdrive!

Craig.