Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-31-2015, 07:26 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Lightbulb Free (DRM-free PDF) Students of Bible in 4th/5th C Syria [Academic Religious History]

Students of the Bible in 4th and 5th Century Syria: Seats of Learning, Sidelights and Syriacisms by theologist and professor emeritus Henning Lehmann (Danish Wikipedia) is his scholarly academic religious history work on Exactly What It Says In The Title, free courtesy of Aarhus University Press in Denmark.

Apparently they've been running a bilingual monthly free ebook programme for the past few years which no one who knew about it ever bothered to mention on MR, sigh. Anyway, this seems to have been their English-language May selection, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Currently free, probably just for the rest of the day until midnight Danish time (approx 3 PM Pacific) directly @ the Aarhus University's website (DRM-free PDF available worldwide).

Description (frankendescription cobbled together from both the freebie announcement page and the regular catalogue page, since academic stuff is the sort of thing you want more info for, and the full blurb makes it look even niftier)
After the Council of Chalcedon in AD 451 the churches using the Syriac language came to represent the unorthodox. Before this epoch-making Council 150 years had past in which the church language in Syria had been primarily Greek, but at the same time the diversity of languages, cultures and theologies had been huge - sometimes creating tension, especially when biblical texts were to be translated or interpreted. This early period and the many different sources to the understanding of it (in Greek, Syriac, Latin and Armenian) have been the subject of a great part of Henning Lehmann's research, and this volume presents 15 of his articles from the period 1969-2008.

A number of prolific writers were active in the Syrian Church of the 4th and 5th centuries. However, in some cases these writers are only accessible by virtue of sidelights thrown e.g. from Armenian and Latin translations (as is the case with Eusebius of Emesa); or, their works may be hidden under false attributions in Greek manuscripts (as, e.g. in Pseudo-Chrysostomica - in fact belonging to Severian of Gabala); or, their relationship to the Syriac language and culture may be misrepresented in modern research (as for Theodoret of Cyrrhus).

Since the 1960s Henning Lehmann's research has concentrated on disclosing secrets and answering puzzling questions in such contexts, in particular concerning Eusebius, Severian and Theodoret, calling for sound scholarship in identifying syriacisms and school traditions.

The 15 chapters of this book, originally published over the years 1969-2005 in various conference reports, periodicals, Festschriften etc., and in various languages, can be studied here as a coherent collection - all in English.

Last edited by ATDrake; 05-31-2015 at 07:53 AM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:32 AM   #2
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Students of the Bible in 4th and 5th Century Syria: Seats of Learning, Sidelights and Syriacisms by theologist and professor emeritus Henning Lehmann (Danish Wikipedia) is his scholarly academic religious history work on Exactly What It Says In The Title, free courtesy of Aarhus University Press in Denmark.
. . . .
You just beat me from posting it! hahaha

Honestly, I am amazed and appreciative that you found the ebook, what with it being posted on the website of an obscure (to Americans, at least) university. Makes me wonder what other gems (worthwhile ebooks) are being offered all around the world, that we never hear about. *sigh*

Yeah, it does look like they have a different free ebook every month. Maybe you'll keep us apprised of the new ones. I thought about subscribing to their newsletter, to learn about new ones, but I am swamped by the newsletters that I get now. I did put the link in my "check these sites monthly" bookmarks folder. Problem is, sometimes I don't get around to checking the folder for several months. ha.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Oh, I'll definitely be telling you all about new ones (in both languages!) once they get around to rotating (and I have a spare daily slot).

The sad thing is that I should have found out about these much, much sooner, since I actually do own a few hardcover Norse archaeology-related books that Aarhus University Press has done (which is how I eventually found out about their freebie programme), and I actually did at one point learn to read written Norwegian-and-by-extension-Danish (admittedly rather badly) and was starved for interesting material to practice with. Guess I wasn't assiduous enough in tracking any down*.

But on the bright side, we've now a new source of quality academic non-fiction freebies which look to be offered regularly, and AUP seems to have a rather generous programme running for Buy 2 Get 1 Free for their titles (possibly including e-versions), and free ebook version with accompanying purchase of physical (one of these days I should dig up my receipts ask see if they might possibly apply it to stuff not bought directly from them), which is nice of them.

* Not to mention, there's enough difference in the written languages that searching for stuff in one doesn't usually turn up results in the other unless Google is being really generous about correcting your spelling.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Gone.

But now available:

Evolutionary ecology of plant-plant interactions (e-book):
An empirical modelling approach
By Christian Damgaard
Quote:
Concepts and simple empirical models that are useful in the study of the quantitative aspects of evolutionary ecology of plant - plant interactions are discussed and developed in this monograph by Christian Damgaard, and the use of simple empirical models …
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:32 AM   #5
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Gone.

But now available:

Evolutionary ecology of plant-plant interactions (e-book):
An empirical modelling approach
By Christian Damgaard
Oh, cool. With it being posted on the first day of June, I guess that they post a new one the first day of every month.

I might need to create a new bookmarks folder, "Check these the First Day of the Month." In fact, I'm going to go ahead and do it. I'll put the bookmark for the webpage in it. Maybe I'll find some more such webpages to bookmark and put in the folder.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
danish author ebook, expired freebie