Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Award Winning Book shall we read in June?
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker 11 44.00%
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr 9 36.00%
A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle 4 16.00%
Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs 7 28.00%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 13 52.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2015, 12:11 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
June 2015 Book Club Vote

June 2015 MobileRead Book Club Vote

Help us choose a book as the June 2015 eBook for the MobileRead Book Club. The poll will be open for 5 days. There will be no runoff vote unless the voting results a tie, in which case there will be a 3 day run-off poll. This is a visible poll: others can see how you voted. It is You may cast a vote for each book that appeals to you.

We will start the discussion thread for this book on June 20th. Select from the following Official Choices with three nominations each:

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

Goodreads | Amazon US

Spoiler:
Winner of the Mythopoeic Award in 2014 for Adult Literature.

[/I]From Amazon:[/I]

Chava is a golem, a creature made of clay, brought to life by a disgraced rabbi who dabbles in dark Kabbalistic magic. When her master, the husband who commissioned her, dies at sea on the voyage from Poland, she is unmoored and adrift as the ship arrives in New York in 1899.

Ahmad is a jinni, a being of fire, born in the ancient Syrian desert. Trapped in an old copper flask by a Bedouin wizard centuries ago, he is released accidentally by a tinsmith in a Lower Manhattan shop. Though he is no longer imprisoned, Ahmad is not entirely free – an unbreakable band of iron binds him to the physical world.

The Golem and the Jinni is their magical, unforgettable story; unlikely friends whose tenuous attachment challenges their opposing natures – until the night a terrifying incident drives them back into their separate worlds. But a powerful threat will soon bring Chava and Ahmad together again, challenging their existence and forcing them to make a fateful choice.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Goodreads | Amazon.com / Kobo CA / Google Play / Overdrive

Spoiler:
Winner of the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When Marie-Laure is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris, and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.

In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure’s converge.

A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle

Goodreads | Amazon AU / Amazon CA / Amazon UK / Amazon US / Audible / Kobo

Spoiler:
Won the the British Book Awards Best Travel Book of the Year 1989 and the Prix des libraires du Québec for Lauréats hors Québec 1995. Known for its honesty, wit and humour, this short and popular book inspired several follow-ups as well as radio and television adaptations, and inspired Mayle's novel (and the later film adaptation) A Good Year.

From Goodreads:

In this witty and warm-hearted account, Peter Mayle tells what it is like to realize a long-cherished dream and actually move into a 200-year-old stone farmhouse in the remote country of the Lubéron with his wife and two large dogs. He endures January's frosty mistral as it comes howling down the Rhône Valley, discovers the secrets of goat racing through the middle of town, and delights in the glorious regional cuisine. A Year in Provence transports us into all the earthy pleasures of Provençal life and lets us live vicariously at a tempo governed by seasons, not by days.

Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs

Amazon UK / Amazon US / Barnes & Noble / Google Play US / Kobo US / Overdrive Audio / Overdrive eBook / Waterstones UK

Spoiler:
It is the first book in the Temperance Brennan series and this series is the basis for the TV show Bones. Her first novel, Déjà Dead, won the 1997 Arthur Ellis Award for Best First Novel. The fictional heroine in her novels, Temperance "Tempe" Brennan, is also a forensic anthropologist.

Her life is devoted to justice — for those she never even knew.

In the year since Temperance Brennan left behind a shaky marriage in North Carolina, work has often preempted her weekend plans to explore Quebec. When a female corpse is discovered meticulously dismembered and stashed in trash bags, Tempe detects an alarming pattern — and she plunges into a harrowing search for a killer. But her investigation is about to place those closest to her — her best friend and her own daughter — in mortal danger….

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Goodreads | Amazon US/ MP3 / WorldCat

Spoiler:
Days before his release from prison, Shadow's wife, Laura, dies in a mysterious car crash. Numbly, he makes his way back home. On the plane, he encounters the enigmatic Mr Wednesday, who claims to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America.

Together they embark on a profoundly strange journey across the heart of the USA, whilst all around them a storm of preternatural and epic proportions threatens to break.

Scary, gripping and deeply unsettling, AMERICAN GODS takes a long, hard look into the soul of America. You'll be surprised by what and who it finds there...

Awards: Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel (2001), Hugo Award for Best Novel (2002), Nebula Award for Best Novel (2002), Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel (2002), International Horror Guild Award Nominee for Best Novel (2001), World Fantasy Award Nominee for Best Novel (2002), SFX Award for Best Novel (2002), Geffen Award (2003), Mythopoeic Fantasy Award Nominee for Adult Literature (2002), Prix Bob Morane for roman traduit (2003)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-03-2015 at 01:40 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
OK, I voted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

June 2015 Book Club Vote

I'm not sure if I'll vote or not. These are five very good options and choosing between them will be difficult. I can't think of one that I'd not want to read. By the way, I added a description for The Golem and the Jinni. (There was none provided with the nomination.)
Old 05-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Thanks for adding the description WT Sharpe. I'm pretty lazy on that front.

I am definitely leaning towards my The Golem and the Jinni and All the Light We Cannot See.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Off topic, but what is "Windows 9½", Tom?
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Off topic, but what is "Windows 9½", Tom?
Wow. You're the first person to comment on that. I originally put Windows 9 there, but changed it to 9½ when no one seemed to notice. It's a throw-off on the fact that there will be no Windows 9. Microsoft, for whatever reason, will have us going from Windows 8 straight to Windows 10, whenever it's released to the general public.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Still off-topic, but it's a defense against bad code that would see "Windows 9" and try to interpret it as Windows 95/98.

Voted. I can't say I'm thrilled, and at least two of them are definitely ones I won't be reading if they win.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
Inquietum
Inquietum solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Inquietum solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Inquietum solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Inquietum solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Inquietum solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Inquietum solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Inquietum solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Inquietum solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Inquietum solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Inquietum solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Inquietum solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Surface 3
Ok, I voted too!
I don't know if I'm supposed to say which one I voted for, so I won't, but hopefully it wins cause it sounds really interesting.
This is going to be neat, I've never been in a book club.
Inquietum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquietum View Post
Ok, I voted too!
I don't know if I'm supposed to say which one I voted for, so I won't, but hopefully it wins cause it sounds really interesting.
This is going to be neat, I've never been in a book club.
You voted for All the Light We Cannot See.

We may not be able to see all the light, but we can see all the votes.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:27 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I voted for three of the books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I voted for three, but they all look good.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's certainly a close vote.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #13
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I'm a little late the party this month. I'll need to look into the contenders a bit before making my choice.

I read Deja Dead when it first came out and really disliked it, primarily because of her treatment of Quebec and Quebeqois culture.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Both my votes are available at my local librairy which is good, but that means physical books for once...
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I'm a little late the party this month. I'll need to look into the contenders a bit before making my choice.

I read Deja Dead when it first came out and really disliked it, primarily because of her treatment of Quebec and Quebeqois culture.
Hmmm. Can I change my vote?

Ah, well, it's looking fairly unlikely that I'll be reading this month's book regardless, though the votes can certainly still change.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote