Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 11-05-2004, 04:58 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Xiino 3.3E PalmOS Webbrowser

Xiino is a PalmOS-based online web browser with SSL and javascript support. Funny thing is I have never heard of this browser, so I cannot say how well it works. A 30-days evaluation version is available for download.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Morpheus, you've got a small typo in your article... s/Xiinio/Xiino/

But.. they have an interesting idea, but its still very rough in the early stages, it seems. It doesn't appear to support more than 2 font pairs (not really useful since they are "normal" and "wide"), and their rotation support is a bit... broken, as seen in this screenshot I just took.

It tends to drop the network connection quite a bit as well. WebPro and other applications don't seem to have this problem, however. It also doesn't seem to support a lot of Javascript, though it claims to. Having fullscreen mode would be nice as well, to remove the unnecessary menu clutter when using "Cruise Mode" (and of course, adding the hardkey navigation to complement that fullscreen mode).

There were a few other bugs and rendering issues I discovered in the 5 minutes I tested it a few minutes ago, but I'm sure those would be simple to fix for someone who understands how to write clean networking code.

Yes, I'm a beta-tester's worst nightmare.

For an application early in development, it certainly looks like it has promise, once the bugs are worked out and it moves into production status.
Advert
Old 11-06-2004, 07:53 AM   #3
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
Morpheus, you've got a small typo in your article... s/Xiinio/Xiino/
Fixed. Thank you Also for the deeper explanation what Xiino is about.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:55 AM   #4
maceyr
Palm Discoverer
maceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 & Zire 71
I couldn't get Xiino to work with Softtick PPP. It kept giving me PPP errors saying that there's no connection. Funny thing is that I was using Palm WebPro and Navarro nWeb and didn't have problems connecting, although they both gave occasional communication errors or I'd have to disconnect and reconnect. With Xiino, I couldn't get anything at all so couldn't even tell how well it works.