Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
German Author Günter Grass Dies Aged 87

The acclaimed German author Günter Grass has died at the age of 87. Grass won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1999. He's best known for his novel "The Tin Drum" ("Die Blechtrommel").

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32285705
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
That's sad news for me. I have loved all of his novels (translated into English) right up to his last one. I remember years ago that he refused to have his books published as ebooks because he didn't want them being pirated. I wonder if he thought that way recently? I should read the obituary to see if it says anything about that.

I'll have to move that recent translation of The Tin Drum to the top of my TBR heap.

Edit: It looks like the latest English translation of The Tin Drum is the only one available as an ebook. English translations of the rest are only available on paper. I guess he never changed his mind about shunning ebooks.

Last edited by rkomar; 04-13-2015 at 05:32 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I only read one of his books. We read The Tin Drum, in original german back in school in Germany. Now that I can't read german anymore, just english, I wonder how that book reads in translation. Its been so very long though that I don't really remember that much.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I remember years ago that he refused to have his books published as ebooks because he didn't want them being pirated. I wonder if he thought that way recently?
This didn't work out so well for him. At least 13 of his other books are available through the not-quite-official channels.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
That's sad news for me. I have loved all of his novels (translated into English) right up to his last one. I remember years ago that he refused to have his books published as ebooks because he didn't want them being pirated. I wonder if he thought that way recently? I should read the obituary to see if it says anything about that.

I'll have to move that recent translation of The Tin Drum to the top of my TBR heap.

Edit: It looks like the latest English translation of The Tin Drum is the only one available as an ebook. English translations of the rest are only available on paper. I guess he never changed his mind about shunning ebooks.

Go here for a Kindle edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Tin-Drum-Gunte...+grassk+kindle
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Posts about politics or religion belong in the P&R forum. Any posts of that nature elsewhere will be deleted without warning or notice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thanks for the link - I've put it on my wishlist.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote