Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
judahis
Enthusiast
judahis is on a distinguished road

Batch conversion of ms word documents?

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced application to convert MS Word documents to .rtf in batch fashion so I can read them on an e-reader? Is there not yet an e-reader that reads MS Word documents natively without need for conversion to .rtf (or PDF)? Is there a reasonably priced application whereby I can convert MS Word documents to PDF in batch fashion to read on ereader? I have thousands of MS Word documents and converting them one by one is impossible timeframe. I know I could use tablet but am going for e-reader due to lower power requirement (using solar recharging).
judahis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That is actually not that hard to program, depending if you want a rough conversion.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I had some time... Here is a simple application to Batch convert doc/docx to either PDF or RTF. The log can be saved.

You can select a directory that contains the documents. If there are subdirectories, you can indicate they have to be processed as well.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Why not convert them to an ebook format, like EPUB or AZW3? What ereader do you have?

calibre can natively convert DOCX into any other supported ebook format (and many are supported).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #5
judahis
Enthusiast
judahis is on a distinguished road

BATCH CONVERSION OF MS_WORD DOCS

I at the present have a Jetbook from Ectaco.
judahis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It should support EPUB, then -- and calibre can convert DOCX to EPUB. In fact, it has a very nice DOCX-to-EPUB converter that should produce very clean and accurate EPUBs.

I know calibre's user guide lists RTF towards the very end of preferred input formats, but I have never used RTF so I am not positive why, but I wouldn't count it as a recommended format for reading either -- at least, not while there are standardized ebook formats.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-08-2015 at 11:17 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:06 PM   #7
savosamson
savosamson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Batch Convert Word to PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by judahis View Post
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced application to convert MS Word documents to .rtf in batch fashion so I can read them on an e-reader? Is there not yet an e-reader that reads MS Word documents natively without need for conversion to .rtf (or PDF)? Is there a reasonably priced application whereby I can convert MS Word documents to PDF in batch fashion to read on ereader? I have thousands of MS Word documents and converting them one by one is impossible timeframe. I know I could use tablet but am going for e-reader due to lower power requirement (using solar recharging).
Hi!
I know just the right tool for you to convert 1000s of Word or any other format files to PDF. Use DocuFreezer for Batch Conversion Word to PDF . It is very fast converter and will generate the PDFs which you can view on ur tablet
Hope it helps.
savosamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Batch conversion is a feature of Atlantis Word Processor. See in our wiki. It will even convert a folder containing a mix of input formats that it supports to a single output format that it supports and even to ePub although you would need to insure the appropriate meta data is in the source files.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.doc, .pdf, .rtf, ms word