Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Have you ever replaced the battery for your Kindle?

If you have, which Kindle is it, how long had you had it before you replaced the battery and does the new battery work just as good as the original?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
I'd been wondering about exactly this, but I've only had a Kindle Touch since last fall, so, unfortunately, I don't have an answer.

In another thread about turning WiFi on and off, I wrote that I frequently switched airplane mode. Most of the other posters wrote they just left it off (or on) all the time, because (if they left WiFi on) they didn't find frequent recharging to be a burden.

However, since I'm one of those people who hangs on to their devices rather than one who gets the latest model, I've been concerned that more frequent battery charging would shorten the life of the battery and hence the Kindle itself. Obviously, the battery is not user-replaceable. Considering the price of a Kindle and the presumptive cost of factory replacement of a battery (assuming such even exists - I have no idea) when the battery goes, so it would seem goes the Kindle.

So I am curious if anyone has had to throw away their Kindle due to the battery no longer holding a charge.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonacker View Post
Obviously, the battery is not user-replaceable. Considering the price of a Kindle and the presumptive cost of factory replacement of a battery (assuming such even exists - I have no idea) when the battery goes, so it would seem goes the Kindle.

So I am curious if anyone has had to throw away their Kindle due to the battery no longer holding a charge.
No, you don't need to throw it away. You can replace it yourself although the procedure to pry open the kindle is kind of scary

http://www.newpower99.com/Amazon_Kin...le%20touch.htm

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 03-21-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The most knowledgeable group of people about batteries are batteriesplus.com, their slogan is "If it runs on batteries we got it." And this includes kindles.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:59 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
However, since I'm one of those people who hangs on to their devices rather than one who gets the latest model, I've been concerned that more frequent battery charging would shorten the life of the battery and hence the Kindle itself.
Don't be concerned. There are two factors which affect the life of a lithium battery:

1. The number of charge cycles.
2. The natural ageing effect which makes the battery die after around 5-7 years.

For a laptop or other high power device, factor 1 dominates, but for a low power device like an eInk reader, factor 1 is insignificant and factor 2 dominates.

Quote:
Obviously, the battery is not user-replaceable.
Not officially user replaceable. The ease of replacement varies from model to model. Replacing the battery in a Kindle Touch (which I believe is the model you said that you had) is straightforward. On a Kindle 4, on the other hand, the battery is glued in and it's next to impossible (or at least, very difficult, without destroying the device in the process).

Kindle models for which replacing the battery is straightforward include the Kindle Keyboard, Touch, PW1, PW2 and Voyage (the Voyage is the easiest of all).

Last edited by HarryT; 03-26-2015 at 05:41 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
bonacker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kindle Touch (which I believe is the model you said that you had)
I apologize, but I still don't know what to call my Kindle in this forum. It is model WP63GW. I have tried calling it the Basic Kindle, the Kindle Touch, the KindleX where "X" was a number I now forget, but all of those names seemed to sow confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For a laptop or other high power device, factor 1 dominates, but for a low power device like an eInk reader, factor 1 is insignificant and factor 2 dominates.
I found to my surprise that the "experimental" browser in combination with an extensive document I made of clickable links and the superior display of web articles in "article mode" made the Kindle quite a decent web browser. The battery drain of daily browsing for 1-2 hours seems to require recharging every few days, and that's if I conserve power by switching off WiFi whenever it's not needed. (That's why I wrote in another thread that I wished airplane mode could be toggled with a single tap instead of four.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
No, you don't need to throw it away. You can replace it yourself although the procedure to pry open the kindle is kind of scary
I looked up the cost of replacement Kindle batteries. For a lower priced Kindle (I bought mine for $50 on sale) it wouldn't make sense to pay ~$40 for a battery (~$25-$30 + shipping) rather than get a new device.

I watched the video where the case of a Kindle that looked like mine was opened. It looked easy, but mine does not have a seam located where the video's seam seemed to be. I can't imagine being able to even insert a razor blade in the seam of my Kindle.

Last edited by bonacker; 03-26-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I apologize, but I still don't know what to call my Kindle in this forum. It is model WP63GW. I have tried calling it the Basic Kindle, the Kindle Touch, the KindleX where "X" was a number I now forget, but all of those names seemed to sow confusion.
See our Wiki: Kindle Serial Numbers
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
bonacker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
See our Wiki: Kindle Serial Numbers
Thanks! Now I finally know.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
naxie
naxie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
i replaced my battery for my kindle keyboard because i love that model and didn't feel like getting a refurbished kindle that wouldn't be a precise replacement. instead, i purchased a replacement battery for $29.95 and it has worked perfectly for two years. i use the kindle every single day for HOURS.

when the same issue i'd had two years ago started the other day - which is the disappearing of a corner of the kindle screen - i knew it was time for a new replacement battery and one is being shipped to me as i write this.

as for the installation - i am a klutz and mechanically challenged. however, i have a friend who is extremely good at this stuff and asked him to do the deed - however, i watched the video, which was extremely informative and was able to put my two cents in while my pal just intuitively knew what he was doing. the replacement battery comes with a little tool that opens the kindle casing, along with very specific instructions - and my kindle was just like new within a few minutes.

easy peasy - and i would highly recommend this option of replacing the battery instead of going through the hassle of getting a replacement kindle that only has a teeny warranty - with the battery, you get a one year warranty.

happy reading, everyone!
naxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
I would say that there is a principle involved here.

Out of respect for the environment we all live in, we should learn to repair rather than replace, even if the cost of the battery exceeds the value of the Kindle. And the old battery is easily recycled.

That said, I totally failed replacing a battery in an i-Phone. The replacement battery was fine but in replacing it I damaged the speaker, so probably next time I'll get an expert - with smaller fingers and better eyesight - to do it for me.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote