Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Docno
Connoisseur
Docno has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad2
Kobo and Calibre - saving highlights

I use the Kobo app on an iPad and I'm quite new to Calibre. I've recently side-loaded a couple of epubs from Calibre into the Kobo app, so they are obviously not stored in the Kobo cloud. My question is how do I 'save' the highlights I make in these books? In other words, after I've added highlights to a book, can I move it back to my Calibre library with the highlights preserved?

[I ask this because occasionally when Kobo releases a new version of the iOS app, it wipes the cache and you have to download all your active books again. I'm worried about losing highlights I've made in these side-loaded books not backed up in the Kobo Cloud.].
Docno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, but I don't think there is a way. I do occasionally use the Kobo app on my iPad, but haven't sideloaded any books to it. There are no options to export the annotations in the menus, so it would require access to the underlying files or databases. Where these are on the iPad, I have no idea and don't know enough about access the files on an iPad to look. If someone has done the investigation, I haven't seen any reports of any results. I have had a very quick look for the equivalent in the Android app, and couldn't see where the data is stored.

As to the updates, I haven't seen a problem with losing anything. That might be that I don't use the app enough to notice. If you are seeing a problem, there is a thread for the iOS app in the Kobo forum. One of the developers reads and responds in it. I suggest posting a question there about this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
Docno
Connoisseur
Docno has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, but I don't think there is a way. I do occasionally use the Kobo app on my iPad, but haven't sideloaded any books to it. There are no options to export the annotations in the menus, so it would require access to the underlying files or databases. Where these are on the iPad, I have no idea and don't know enough about access the files on an iPad to look. If someone has done the investigation, I haven't seen any reports of any results. I have had a very quick look for the equivalent in the Android app, and couldn't see where the data is stored.

As to the updates, I haven't seen a problem with losing anything. That might be that I don't use the app enough to notice. If you are seeing a problem, there is a thread for the iOS app in the Kobo forum. One of the developers reads and responds in it. I suggest posting a question there about this.
Thanks - I'll do that. Not sure how helpful they will be to accommodate ebooks not purchased from Kobo, but it's worth a try.

Last edited by Docno; 03-17-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Docno is offline   Reply With Quote