Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
What are straightforward ways to transfer a HTML page to iTunes (ebook) on a PC/Mac?

Basically I want to read long web pages, HTML articles in iBook on an iOS device as an ebook; that's it. What are some straightforward ways to get the HTML page to iTunes as an ebook on a Mac or PC?

I am new to this system.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:31 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Convert the html page to EPUB. That much is just a simple calibre conversion or News fetch, or download via various clipping services that have varying levels of effectiveness at cleaning the page.

Not sure how to transfer EPUBs to Itunes, I think the calibre menu option got closed by Apple awhile ago? Drag and drop might work, but hopefully you can get the iOSRA plugin working and commmunicate with iBooks directly.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@avid01: There are a couple of apps/add-ons/bookmarklets that allow you to save .html pages as .ePub or .mobi files. For example, dotepub and Instapaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Drag and drop might work, but hopefully you can get the iOSRA plugin working and commmunicate with iBooks directly.
iTunes supports drag & drop:

1. Connect your iDevice to your computer and and start iTunes.
2. Click on the name of your iDevice, and then click Apps.
3. Scroll down to display the File Sharing panel.
4. Select an app from the App list.
5. Drag & drop the ebook to the Documents panel of the app.

Last edited by Doitsu; 03-02-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
There are also services that you can use to store articles on your iPad and read them later. Pocket is the most popular I think. I used Readability for a while, and tried Keep Everything also, but in the end I settled for Evernote, because I can also store pdf files there or just about any document. I have a special notebook called "To Read" and I keep all the articles and documents I haven't yet read in it. The reading experience is less agreeable than in Readability, but it's more versatile.

To transfer web pages to Evernote, I use the webclipper extension when on PC or Mac, and the app Evernote Clipper on iPad/iPhone.

I believe you have to be a paid subscriber if you want to be able to read your Evernote notes while offline.

ETA: oops, sorry, I didn't pay enough attention to your title, you want to read on Mac or PC, not iPad. Well, Evernote also works for that but I guess my whole post is rather off topic, sorry.

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 03-05-2015 at 09:13 AM.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Fireworks browser supports a Send to Kindle for Mozilla Firefox add-on, so surely there are similar ones for ePubs. With the Send to Kindle for Mozilla Firefox add-on you just load the html file in the browser and click the add-on button. This add-on is not for ePubs, but I bet some other add-on would work.

Once you have the ePub created on your Mac or PC, you can email it to your iPad and select to open it in iBooks or any other compatible ePub reader.
Advert
Old 03-06-2015, 02:16 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Another browser extension is GrabMyBooks, which lets you assemble an epub file from multiple web pages in desktop Chrome and I think FireFox. You could then put them in Dropbox, OneDrive etc. and open them with the ePub app of your choosing.

In the App Store, there are several apps that may do what you want on your iOS device, for example:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eboo...890503038?mt=8

Last edited by tomsem; 03-06-2015 at 02:23 AM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Thanks so far... it seems I can't add more Karma.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote