Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
As the Nook turns, B&N spins out...

...the college bookstores *alone*...

Via:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...comment-801403

Quote:

Barnes & Noble announced today that they were splitting the 700 plus college stores operated by B&N into its own wholly owned company called B&N Education.

For the past 3 years Barnes & Noble's college store division has been bundled into its digital division, Nook Media. As Nook Media's fortunes waned, its been clear that B&N was going to have to split off the still financially healthy college stores from the toxic digital unit.
Quote:

The retailer had previous announced plans to split Nook Media off into a wholly owned company, but now the digital unit is going to remain part of B&N.

Clearly that plan was derailed by the quarter after quarter of declining digital revenues, resulting in a company which no one would want to invest in, so B&N is instead going to split off the relatively healthy college stores.

More at the source.

For the actual PR release:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...E#.VO9p7mrD_MK

August is still a ways off so they might still flip flop a couple more times by then.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
The college book business is changing. My son had to buy a four-inch high stack of loose-leaf pages as a 'textbook.' Inside the package was a password to access the class website where the homework was assigned and turned in. He used the website daily. He never used the paper pages.

All this cost over $200!

So any business betting on the college text market will have to be very nimble, because things are going to shift rapidly.

On the other hand, having visited several universities prior to my son's starting college, I still believe that those college bookstores are absolute cash cows. They sell a ton of souvenirs and fan garb on game day, and also do a booming convenience store business to a captive audience with money to spend. Anyone who can't turn a profit at a college bookstore has got to be a complete idiot!

So, B&N is spinning this part of its business off because it IS valuable, and will find a ready buyer. If B&N wants to raise a pile of cash, quickly, then selling off the university bookstores is the best way to do it.

What they will do with that cash is beyond me, however.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
The college book business is changing. My son had to buy a four-inch high stack of loose-leaf pages as a 'textbook.' Inside the package was a password to access the class website where the homework was assigned and turned in. He used the website daily. He never used the paper pages.

All this cost over $200!

So any business betting on the college text market will have to be very nimble, because things are going to shift rapidly.

On the other hand, having visited several universities prior to my son's starting college, I still believe that those college bookstores are absolute cash cows. They sell a ton of souvenirs and fan garb on game day, and also do a booming convenience store business to a captive audience with money to spend. Anyone who can't turn a profit at a college bookstore has got to be a complete idiot!

So, B&N is spinning this part of its business off because it IS valuable, and will find a ready buyer. If B&N wants to raise a pile of cash, quickly, then selling off the university bookstores is the best way to do it.

What they will do with that cash is beyond me, however.
Why will college bookstores have to be(come) nimble? As I read your reply, the issue is mainly that the prof is forcing students to buy the pile of paper, either because s/he won't allow students to log on to the assignment website without doing so, or because s/he won't develop his/her own website to turn in assignments on (or offer an alternative means of doing so)... iow, it's a racket.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Why will college bookstores have to be(come) nimble? As I read your reply, the issue is mainly that the prof is forcing students to buy the pile of paper, either because s/he won't allow students to log on to the assignment website without doing so, or because s/he won't develop his/her own website to turn in assignments on (or offer an alternative means of doing so)... iow, it's a racket.
Yes, it's a racket. But it's a very different racket than just a few years ago. And I expect that it will change form frequently in the future. Will it still be a racket? Maybe. But it's sure to change, thus the need to be nimble.

B&N doesn't strike me as a nimble organization.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

It has always been a racket. When I was in graduate school in the early 1980s professors would more often than not either make you buy the text book they wrote and had published, or they would send you to the local Kinkos (copy store) to purchase a stack of xeroxed pages they had written and typed up. Either way, the professors were supplementing their small salaries by making you purchase their books. Now that all students are expected to own a computer and/or tablet, they could just create PDF text books and make you buy them directly from them skipping any middle parties. In undergraduate school it was a bit different. Typically we had to buy the books written by the department chair are lead professor for the subject matter. At least those were usually real printed/published books and not xerox copies.
Advert
Old 03-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Since most of the universities in the US as government owned, I wonder if the ethics and/or anti-corruption laws may be applied to stop the professors from forcing their students to buy the professor's books.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I had an economics class which required a code for some website or another where all the work was done, you had the option to buy a code for $65 or a printed book for $70 -- once on the website there were also PDFs of each chapter.

Also, my English class used a free Wikibook.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Since most of the universities in the US as government owned, I wonder if the ethics and/or anti-corruption laws may be applied to stop the professors from forcing their students to buy the professor's books.
If I'm reading this right, I'd need to see some numbers. I believe that most universities and colleges in the US are non-profit, but private, institutions -- even allowing for state and county colleges (and the occasional city-owned university, like CUNY). Aside from military academies, I don't know of any federally owned college/university.

However, even back in the 70s the college book market was a racket. Texts were hardcover, and some were available on the "used" market, but every course I took had lab manuals or additional curricula texts that had been prepared by teaching staff and were much more expensive than the text books.

My college sold off it's university-owned bookstore in the 90s. I think they're now farmed out to B&N.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
BTW, my alma-mater, Rutgers U., is state-owned (it's the State University of New Jersey) but the charter strictly limits government influence. I think we'd have more ethics problems if the state was more involved. The state wants more direct control and periodically goes to court to try to get it. (Most recently when they tried to "reorganize" the university, which would have spun off one of the constituent colleges. That attempt failed spectacularly.)

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...lls_repor.html

Last edited by cromag; 03-04-2015 at 08:24 PM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 AM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Note this includes the digital textbook business, 'Yuzu'. (formerly known as Nook Study)

I'm curious about what happened with Pearson Education's 5% stake in Nook Media. Did they get bought out like Microsoft was/is, or will their interest get transferred to B&N College Booksellers LLC (which is logically where it belongs)?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:57 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Note this includes the digital textbook business, 'Yuzu'. (formerly known as Nook Study)

I'm curious about what happened with Pearson Education's 5% stake in Nook Media. Did they get bought out like Microsoft was/is, or will their interest get transferred to B&N College Booksellers LLC (which is logically where it belongs)?
1- Yuzu is not Nook study. Totally different product.
2- B&N bought out Pearson's stake last Dec:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...ook-stake.html
Old 03-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #12
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Very lucrative business. They make small changes to the textbooks every year so students can't buy used books, but must by the new versions. It is a sin, the rising tuition costs and expensive textbook business. Even B&N can't lose money at it. I feel bad for these kids coming out of college with student loans equivalent to a big mortgage payment hanging over their heads.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I doubt it.

Anyway, don't they keep copies on reserve in the library? If so, students aren't being forced.

I was a history major, and this next point may not apply as much to hard sciences. However -- even if none of a professor's books were assigned, I still wanted to look at them to better see where he or she was coming from. Reading some of the professor's published works is a good idea that should increase the chances of a getting an A, regardless of whether they are assigned.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 03-05-2015 at 07:25 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
1- Yuzu is not Nook study. Totally different product.
2- B&N bought out Pearson's stake last Dec:
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...ook-stake.html
It is a different product. But if you go to B&N's page for Nook Study, they point you at Yuzu as the 'successor'.

Thanks for the link. It makes sense that they'd want to buy out the stakes before spinning off the college business.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It is a different product. But if you go to B&N's page for Nook Study, they point you at Yuzu as the 'successor'.

Thanks for the link. It makes sense that they'd want to buy out the stakes before spinning off the college business.
It isn't much of a successor.
It hasn't even officially launched and it may never actually be launched. Unlike NookStudy which had a lot to recommend it, Yuzu doesn't quite.... work...
Here:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...book-app-yuzu/

Quote:

At this point it looks like Yuzu is an entirely new platform, and it would appear that Yuzu does not share the same accounts as the Nook Store or NookStudy. In fact, one of the FAQs I found says that Yuzu is not compatible with NookStudy textbooks.
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...rate-students/

Where NookStudy is a general purpose ebook reader with educational features, (it can open Nook ebooks) Yuzu is primarily about displaying textbook pages. And not too good at it.

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-06-2015 at 06:35 AM.