Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
IndolentFop
IndolentFop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Problems with Library not showing my books

Hi there

I've got a Kobo Aura HD. It's a nice gadget that's easy to read but it also wants to make me cry.

I was having a problem with the library. I had copied on a around 500 books from Gutenberg and some pdf articles. When I tried to browse my library the Kobo would just freeze after about 8 pages and I would have to soft reboot.

This was irritating me. I read the forum and a common thing to try was a hard reboot and to start again. So I did. I copied back all of my articles too but they are no longer showing on the Kobo even though I can see them through Windows Explorer.

Please help me.

I am using software version 3.12.1. I don't use Calibre.

Thanks for any help and ideas.
IndolentFop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I like my AuraHD much better since I switched to using Koreader and hiding my library of over 7000 ebooks from Kobo's processing. It is better with PDFs, also. An install guide with some tips.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
IndolentFop

Brilliant. Thanks Ken. I'll give it a blast
Old 02-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
IndolentFop

As an aside, I solved the library hanging issue by turning off "Show thumbnail images in list view"
Old 02-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndolentFop View Post
As an aside, I solved the library hanging issue by turning off "Show thumbnail images in list view"
This sounds like the problem is with the covers in some of your books. If you don't use Calibre to sideload the book, or if you don't have Calibre set to send cover images, then the device will create a cover from the first page of the book.

The problem I have seen with some Gutenberg books is that they don't have a seperate cover page, and often have the entire book in one big html file. This means that the device could have to render the entire book just to create a cover image, which is likely to be slow and use lots of memory.

If you are loading hundreds of books at once it might be hard to track down which books are causing the problem, but if you use Calibre to load the books and configre the KoboTouch driver to send covers, then the device won't attempt to generate its own covers while you are browsing the library. You might still have issues when you try to open the problem books though.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2015, 05:16 AM   #6
IndolentFop

Hi Geoff, that sounds quite plausible. Thanks very much for that. It's not as though the Gutenberg books have particularly nice covers either. I'll maybe also to have give Calibre ago.