Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
obyrm
obyrm began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2; Formerly:KOA,KV,PW2,CybookHDFL, KoboGlo,Sony-T1-650-600,iLiad
Keeping Voyage or going back to PW2 ?

I've been using the kindle voyage since November. I replaced my original one which I had bought at Argos due to a common screen lighting unevenness. My replacement turned out to be sightly better but it has pinkish hue on the top right hand corner. I have been trying to avoid seeing it for a long time but I could not bare it anymore so I contacted Amazon UK customer service on sunday to get a replacement. They were very helpful to sent out a replacement for me which I received on the following day. But the replacement is a refurbished unit and it is not better than the one I already have.

I think I am not going to achieve much by asking another replacement since the screen problem is a common production problem with Voyage as far as I gather from the reviews.

Is it a wise decision to go back to PW2 and forget about Voyage until Amazon releases an updated version of it? Voyage killed the joy of reading for me
obyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I find the PW 2013 a great reading device. I never purchased Voyage.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I cant see spending $200 on an eReader! So I am still using K3 & KT.
I am surprised Amazon sent a Refirb!! Are they planning on coping Nook! Gee hope Not!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's a question that only you can answer, obyrm. The majority of Voyage users don't find the colour hue of the screen to be an issue, but if it is a problem for you (and it sounds as if it is) then it may be sensible to for you replace the Voyage with a PW2. Only you know if it's the right decision for you.

The main things you'd be losing by making the change would be the increased screen resolution of the Voyage, and the haptic page-turn sensors.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
guerrilla
Connoisseur
guerrilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
So it's 2015 and the top product from the biggest ereader company has screen issues.

Are we ever gonna get decent devices in the ebook niche?
guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrilla View Post
So it's 2015 and the top product from the biggest ereader company has screen issues.

Are we ever gonna get decent devices in the ebook niche?
It's fairer to say that a small number of people have issues with the screen. The majority (myself included) are absolutely fine with it. I would certainly consider it to be a "decent device". A very decent device indeed.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
guerrilla
Connoisseur
guerrilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Well to be honest I bought a PW on december and found no issues with it, too.
Yet reading that there's quite a number of people who return their kindle several times makes me wonder. Are all these people over demanding? You don't hear anything like that when it comes to tablets or smartphones.
guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Yet reading that there's quite a number of people who return their kindle several times makes me wonder. Are all these people over demanding? You don't hear anything like that when it comes to tablets or smartphones.
It's probably the case that a small number of devices are genuinely faulty (eg pinholes in the light diffuser is certainly a genuine fault), while other people have unrealistic expectations of what the screen should look like. I don't know what the relative size of these two groups is, though.

Remember that it's human nature to complain if you're not happy, but to be silent if you are happy.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I don't think it's an unrealistic expectation because Kobo did demonstrate that a uniformly hued frontlight is possible.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Not a fair comparison. LCD screens are old-tech and easy to get right. Front-lights for e-readers are new and seemingly hard to get right. Amazon in particular seem to have difficulty with it. They had major issues with the lighting-tech of the PW1. I expected them to dump their approach and rip open a Glo to see how Kobo did it better, but no, they are persevering with their PW1 tech. They got it to work better on the PW2 but some problems are back on the Voyage. Most people can deal with the discolorations, but others find it irksome, particular on a device as expensive as the Voyage.

In short, I suggest you get the PW2. The Voyage isn't much of a tech advance on the PW2, and in the case of the light, is a step back.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I don't think it's an unrealistic expectation because Kobo did demonstrate that a uniformly hued frontlight is possible.
Many people here have returned H2Os because of uneven lighting. Kobo doesn't always get it right.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Many people here have returned H2Os because of uneven lighting. Kobo doesn't always get it right.
Judging from the forums here (yes, I know, absolutely unscientific), the dissatisfied Voyage owner seems to be the norm, while the dissatisfied H2O owner seems to be the exception.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Judging from the forums here (yes, I know, absolutely unscientific), the dissatisfied Voyage owner seems to be the norm, while the dissatisfied H2O owner seems to be the exception.
Hardly the "norm". I think that's a wild exaggeration. Look at the number of Voyage owners here in this forum. What proportion of them would you say are complaining?

New device releases always seem to go through the same sequence here at MR:

1. Device is announced, and some people go into ecstatics claiming it'll be the most wonderful thing the world has ever seen, and their life won't be complete until they have one.

2. Device is released.

3. Early adopters say how wonderful it is.

4. Someone finds a minor fault.

5. People chime in and say that it's the worst fault the world has ever seen, and how could the manufacturer possibly release such an appalling piece of rubbish.

6. Things settle down, with the majority being happy, and a few unhappy.

We've gone through steps 1-5 with the Voyage, and we now seem to be in stage 6.

Look at Amazon reviews. The majority of buyers seem happy enough with the Voyage.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-03-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #14
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?

Amazon reviews are not really representative, IMO. I think we can stipulate that the proportion of repeat customers (i.e, people who have used e-readers prior to this purchase) is higher here on mobileread than on Amazon. Repeat purchasers are more likely to have a better idea of quality of lighting, having being exposed to earlier models, and also e-readers from competing companies. I think it makes sense that informed purchasers on MR have a higher proportion of complaints than in the Amazon reviews section.

Besides, the point isn't how many complaints there are, but rather that the H2O seems to have a fewer proportion of purchasers complain about the front-lighting than Voyage purchasers do. I honestly cannot recollect the last instance of someone on here complaining about the H2O light, except for remarks on the shadowing at the very bottom of the screen. On the other hand, QC seems to be a recurring problem with the recent Amazon e-readers with people resigning themselves to the return-and-replacement cycle until they get one that satisfies them. Accepting an un-rectifiable situation and becoming more forgiving of faults is also a way to arrive at stage 6. Stage 6 need not necessarily imply that the fault did not exist at all.

As an absolute number, yes, you might be correct in saying that it isn't the norm with Amazon. I shouldn't have put it that way. But in comparison with the H2O, it does seem a greater problem with the Voyage, which suggests that Kobo is doing something right that Amazon inexplicably hasn't been able to replicate, for whatever reasons.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Besides, the point isn't how many complaints there are, but rather that the H2O seems to have a fewer proportion of purchasers complain about the front-lighting than Voyage purchasers do. I honestly cannot recollect the last instance of someone on here complaining about the H2O light, except for remarks on the shadowing at the very bottom of the screen.
But the front light isn't the only thing that people complain about. The reason I sold my H2O is because of the horribly inaccurate touchscreen compared to the touchscreen of the Kindle - it was close to impossible to accurately activate a small hyperlink.

All I'm saying is that Amazon don't have a monopoly on complaints. None of these device is perfect.