Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Oyster announces partnership with Pottermore

Earlier this month Macmillan made 1000 titles in their backlist catalog available on Oyster and Scribd. Now the Harry Potter series is available on Oyster. It appears to be an exclusive for now. There are 3 additional Hogwarts-related books that aren't available on Kindle Unlimited. Those would be Quidditch Through the Ages, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard. They've also created custom themes for reading related to the various houses.

http://blog.oysterbooks.com/post/109...ne-and-ron-and

Quote:
Harry Potter has consistently been one of the top ten searches on Oyster since we launched.

Today, the search is over. We’ve partnered with Pottermore to make Oyster the first and only place you can read every Harry Potter ebook through a subscription. We’re raising a glass of butterbeer in celebration, because we now have all seven of the main Harry Potter books AND the three Hogwarts Library Books by J.K. Rowling!

Make sure your Oyster app is updated to version 1.9 and ¾ (you can get it on the App Store and Google Play), and then open a Harry Potter title to get the full effect. Once inside, rather than one of Oyster’s reader themes, choose one of the new “House Themes”—with designs inspired by Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff—or tap the Sorting Hat icon to have one selected at random. Then dive into a custom reading experience inspired by your favorite Hogwarts House.
Here are some links to other articles.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/28/79...iption-service

Quote:
Last year, Oyster co-founder Willem van Lancker told us the company's goal was to foster "a deeper sense of community around books." With Harry Potter, that work has already been done for Oyster — the franchise comes with its own built-in community.
http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/28/oys...-harry-potter/

Quote:
I asked about whether young adult fiction is already popular on Oyster, and CEO Eric Stromberg told me in an emailed statement, “YA is one of our most popular genres and something many of our readers — of all ages — really enjoy.”
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Has anyone tried the themes? I am just picturing very harsh yellow and red.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2015, 12:39 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The blog link in my original post shows images of the themes. They aren't obnoxious. I tried them. It's similar to their usual formats that have been renamed to make it more fun. They've also renamed "night mode" to be "night owl". Turning privacy mode on is "invisibility cloak".

The Oyster Review is featuring the Harry Potter series this week. For example, there is currently posted an essay by author Lauren Oliver about JKR's influence on her life.

https://review.oysterbooks.com
Old 02-08-2015, 01:27 AM   #4
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
If only Oyster was an option in Canada. Since I don't have a US credit card I guess I don't get to have 'on the go' access to Pottermore.
It is nice to see J.K. Rowlings embracing the digital age though.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
The blog link in my original post shows images of the themes. They aren't obnoxious. I tried them. It's similar to their usual formats that have been renamed to make it more fun. They've also renamed "night mode" to be "night owl". Turning privacy mode on is "invisibility cloak".

The Oyster Review is featuring the Harry Potter series this week. For example, there is currently posted an essay by author Lauren Oliver about JKR's influence on her life.

https://review.oysterbooks.com
The renaming's a great idea. And thank you for sharing the essay, I particularly agree with Lauren Oliver's take on rereading it:

"I decided to reread Harry Potter again, curious to see whether I would like it as much the second time (okay, the fourth time) around. Happily, I did. In fact, it was in many ways even better to read it as an adult, when I was happy to linger over every page instead of tearing through the chapters trying to see what would happen. It was funnier than I’d remembered, too, especially the early books. "
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin2412 View Post
The renaming's a great idea. And thank you for sharing the essay, I particularly agree with Lauren Oliver's take on rereading it:

"I decided to reread Harry Potter again, curious to see whether I would like it as much the second time (okay, the fourth time) around."
I am still to finish the Harry Potter series, the last book I read was the fifth and even though the movies have spoiled the last two books for me, I would like to read them, you know for completion's sake
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I watched the movies after the books. I read the series as an adult but enjoyed it a lot. I have started re-reading it, and it is still fun. You notice little details that you forgot now that you know the outcome. Also you visualize people and places from the movies.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I am still to finish the Harry Potter series, the last book I read was the fifth and even though the movies have spoiled the last two books for me, I would like to read them, you know for completion's sake
You should consider the audio books. The narrator is fantastic. I got them all from the library (online).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote