Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-27-2015, 04:21 AM   #1
jenrar
Connoisseur
jenrar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy Missing book when making catalog

Hi all. I'll try to make this as clear as possible.

I'm taking each category I have (Romance, Intrigue, Shifter Romance, etc) and making a catalog for them so it's easier to look through. So I'm currently working on the Shifter Romance category, and I've got it set up like I want it. All I have checked in the options (I'm making a mobi file.) are Genres (categories) and Descriptions.

I have one specific book that shows up in the Descriptions section but is NOT listed in the Genres list. If I click on the first book, it takes me down to that book & its description later in the file. Then if I scroll to the next page, the 2nd book's description/info is there, but that 2nd book is NOT in the list at the beginning. Now, if I change that book to book 4 in the series, rather than book 2, it shows up in both places it should without a problem. In fact, I re-downloaded the book and added it again, putting it in as book 2 in the series and redid the info for the original copy as book 4. Book 4 (which I renamed Title OLD) showed up fine. Book 2 still didn't show up at all. I traded places, making Title OLD book 2 and the new one book 4, and OLD didn't show up but the new one did as book 4.

My head is absolutely spinning... Please help!
jenrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:26 AM   #2
jenrar
Connoisseur

I forgot to mention... I'm not sure it matters, but I haven't checked others that are like this because it's the only one in this category, but there are two books with the same title by different authors, thereby different series as well. The other shows up fine in both places. I don't think that will make a difference, but there ya go.

Thanks in advance!
Advert
Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jenrar - perhaps you could post some annotated screen shots, I'm having difficulty visualising your problem.

I first read your posts last evening, and I've had a sleep since - it's morning here

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
jenrar
Connoisseur

Hehe Sorry! Okay, here are four screenshots. Hopefully they'll help!

1: the Category list at the beginning of my catalog. See Laurann Dohner's Mating Heat series? In actuality, there should be a book 2 in her list. I added book 2 to my Calibre, renamed the original to old and put it as book 4, and then put the info for the copied book as book 2...and book 2 doesn't show up. (the original book 4 didn't either when it was named book 2. This is just to show you that the book itself DOES show up when it's listed as book 4 in the series.)

2-4: Here are shots of what you see if you click on the first book in Laurann Dohner's Mating Heat series up in the Category list. Pic #2 is book 1. Pic #3 is book 2 (which is missing in the Category list!), Pic 4 is book 3, & Pic 5 is book 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	category-list.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	134259   Click image for larger version

Name:	description-list-1.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	134260   Click image for larger version

Name:	description-list-2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	134261   Click image for larger version

Name:	description-list-3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	134262   Click image for larger version

Name:	description-list-4.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	134263  
Old 01-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jenrar - what do you see if you look at the Mating Heat series in the calibre library book list, either via the Shift/Alt/S on one of the books in the series, or via the Tag Browser. Are all the books you'd expect to see in the series shown?

BR
Advert
Old 01-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
jenrar
Connoisseur

@BetterRed Yes, they are.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@jenrar - hmm, then I have no idea what's wrong

Am I right in thinking it's just this one series. If so, then if it were me I'd:
  1. backup my library,
  2. remove the series information from the books,
  3. save them to disk,
  4. delete them from the library,
  5. add them back to the library
  6. enter the series names and numbers.
Its only four books so should only take a few minutes.

BR
Old 01-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #8
jenrar
Connoisseur

Okay, will try that and report back. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #9
jenrar
Connoisseur

I did that... Re-added the books, did a new catalog...and book 2 is still not showing up! Ugh.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@jenrar - if not already done, try running a Library Maintenance->Check Library.

BR
Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #11
jenrar
Connoisseur

Okay. So... It has to be that book title itself, because I switched book #2 and made it #3 and put #3 as #2. Now #1 & #2 (which is really #3) show up but #3 (which is really #2) does not.

I'm assuming it has to be because there is another book of that same title in there already, by a different author (therefore a different series, as well). Right?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@jenrar - are you sure you're looking at the catalogue you just created and not an old one - put a spelling mistake in one of the book titles

So change the other book title - stick 'z' on the end

I had something similar happen to me this morning with calibre-swerver, had me tearing my hair out

BR
Old 01-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #13
jenrar
Connoisseur

Yup, I've been naming the catalogs different (SR1, SR2, Shifter Romance, etc). I really think it's because there's a previous one in the catalog with that same title.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@[B]So change the other book title - stick 'z' on the end
I have had to do similar things - same author, same title, but different 'book'.

BR
Old 01-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #15
jenrar
Connoisseur

Bleh. I hate having to do that, but yeah, I don't see any way around it. lol Oh well. Thanks so much.

Tags
catalog