Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Rika24
Fanfiction Fan
Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: SONY Touch PRS-650, Nook HD, Kobo H2O Kobo Aura ONE LE, Kobo Libra 2
Question how to sort Save to Disk by status and series?

I've begun to confuse myself using multiple computers and multiple readers and two separate libraries on one computer. i believe i have made too many backups combined with inability to sort my backed up books because of way too many folders.

i want to simplify my backup process so my question is, how would i write the code/expression in preferences so that when i use save to disk my stories are sorted first by status, then series, then author (titles would retain the original format of author - title)

status is a custom column i made for my fanfiction collection (in progress and complete) and i have two libraries that are sorted via their status (so i can keep track on what is still updating).

i'm asking because i want to bring those two libraries over to one computer rather than going back and forth (one comp is an imac running Mountain Lion the other a pc running Vista). so the status is the best way to sort before series.

Last edited by Rika24; 01-24-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Rika24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Are you running calibre in both places? If so, make sure they have the same custom columns. Them save to disk in one place and add the books to calibre in the other.

If you are not using calibre on the second machine, are you trying to use a directory hierarchy, or putting all the details in the file name?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
Rika24
Fanfiction Fan
Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: SONY Touch PRS-650, Nook HD, Kobo H2O Kobo Aura ONE LE, Kobo Libra 2
both computers have calibre, the larger libraries are on the imac, but it's at home (i have a backup on my portable hard drive though as well as my flashdrive). i'm staying with my sister at the moment and she's letting me use her computer.

i think i'm using all the same columns, but i can't really double check until next week. i was just going to use save to disk to save everything as complete or in progress and then add them to my sister's computer, then when i go home for good (which won't be until next year) i'll update the libraries on my mac.

i just have a lot of fanfics and the backup files are all listed by author by default but i wanted to change it so they're ordered by status and series. this is currently what i have:

{series}/{authors}/{authors} - {title} and it works, i just don't know how to set the custom fields

Last edited by Rika24; 01-24-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Rika24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Custom fields are preceded by a #. So if your custom field is #status the template would be:
Code:
{#status}/{series}/{authors}/{authors} - {title}
The way to know for sure is to hover your mouse over the top of the custom column. It will give you the lookup name of the column.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:27 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rika24 View Post
both computers have calibre, the larger libraries are on the imac, but it's at home (i have a backup on my portable hard drive though as well as my flashdrive). i'm staying with my sister at the moment and she's letting me use her computer.

i think i'm using all the same columns, but i can't really double check until next week. i was just going to use save to disk to save everything as complete or in progress and then add them to my sister's computer, then when i go home for good (which won't be until next year) i'll update the libraries on my mac.
So, the purpose of this is to allow you to make changes while away from your computer and not lose them when you get home?

If you have a backup of the library on the portable hard drive, just copy that complete to your sisters computer. Then point calibre at it and do your maintenance. When you are ready to leave (or your sister kicks you out - my sisters would be dropping hints after about a month), copy the library back to the hard drive and move it back to the main computer at home. If the starting copy was complete, you simply replace the one on your computer. If it isn't, then you need to sort out the differences. And as it's going to be a year, I think the library you have with you now is the one you should consider to be the primary library.

And yes, I'm telling you to procrastinate. "Never put off until tomorrow what you can delay to the day after".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert