Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-21-2015, 01:44 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Thumbs up Free (Kindle/iTunes) Time Trap [Sci-Fi Evil Twin Thwarting Time Travel Adventure]

Time Trap by Deborah Chester (ISFDB, Wikipedia), whom popular Dresden Files author Jim Butcher (ISFDB, Wikipedia) considers a mentor according to Wikipedia, is the 1st in her eponymous series of science fiction time travel adventures involving an historian from the future who accidentally journeys back to the wrong place and time and winds up having to prevent an evil double from altering the timeline during multiple historical periods, as accidentally gone astray time travelers so often have to do, free courtesy of publisher Diversion Books, who are e-printing it from its 1992 Ace Books paperback which came out under the pseudonym of Sean Dalton.

I must say that I like how the evil double is conveniently named
Spoiler:
with the hero's own name spelt backwards
. It reminds me of a particularly-titled Ellen Raskin (Wikipedia) YA mystery adventure book. Incidentally, her other YA mystery adventure book, The Westing Game, is excellent and highly recommended, if you haven't read it already.

Currently free @ Amazon (available to Canadians & in the UK) & iTunes (available to Canadians).

If it turns out you like this one and would like to read more, the rest of the reprinted series is priced at a very affordable $2.99 a pop, couponable @ Kobo, as Diversion Books often are.

And this has been the selected 3rd (non-repeat) free ebook thread of the day.

Because it's been far too long since we've gotten some more official publisher promo dedicated sf/fantasy. And a time-traveling recording-academic history-involving adventure with duplicates to boot! It's like they know and cater to* my reading kinks†.

Enjoy!

Description
In the 26th century, chaos threatens to overwhelm civilization—but the historians on staff at the Time Institute are determined to change things for the better. Through first-hand recordings of the greatest events of the past, they hope to reawaken the modern-day populace and restore its zest for achievement. The trouble for the Institute is that saboteurs have infiltrated.

The trouble for time-traveler Noel Kedran is that his mission lands him in the wrong place and century.

Medieval Greece is little more than a way-station for European knights headed for the Crusades. All but forgotten, this small pocket of history is awash in treachery as Greek bandits, French knights, and Constantinople's diplomats battle for supremacy. Caught in their clash to rule Greece, Noel fears that any alteration to the course of history could destroy his own time, until he meets a stranger who is his mirror image. This twin, as determined to destroy the future as Noel is to save it, will take both Noel’s fate and history into his own hands.

* It's actually probably just coincidence, and next time they'll likely offer something in a subsubgenre I don't care about at all, but I'm going to pretend this one was a special gift from the powers that be.

† And here I'd been thinking that Connie Willis was practically the only one who does it at novel length in a non-YA format.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expired freebie