Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question select format when azw, epub both present

the editor can handle both azw3 and epub formats, but I don't see how to control which one it opens , when both are present. is there a way to set a preference , or to make a choice ?

reason being - I had a case where the epub conversion looked different in some places, so i wanted to see the AZW code ( which turned out to have lots of in-line text-transform uppercase CSS in it, that the calibre conversion to epub had stripped out. I'm thinking that kindle for PC is able to honour text transform, but ADE based epub readers do not )

Last edited by cybmole; 12-22-2014 at 01:23 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
the editor can handle both azw3 and epub formats, but I don't see how to control which one it opens , when both are present. is there a way to set a preference , or to make a choice ?

reason being - I had a case where the epub conversion looked different in some places, so i wanted to see the AZW code ( which turned out to have lots of in-line text-transform uppercase CSS in it, that the calibre conversion to epub had stripped out. I'm thinking that kindle for PC is able to honour text transform, but ADE based epub readers do not )
See Attachment

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	132767  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 02:34 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks - the default setting must be unticked. as I tried the obvious test of hitting T to see if I was asked which format to open. maybe a better default would be for that box to be ticked for new users/ new installs ?

& you have to open editor to access that preferences screen
Old 12-22-2014, 02:48 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks - the default setting must be unticked. as I tried the obvious test of hitting T to see if I was asked which format to open. maybe a better default would be for that box to be ticked for new users/ new installs ?

& you have to open editor to access that preferences screen
@cybmole - perhaps it should default to ON otherwise it looks like its not working as advertised - EPUB and AZW3.

And IMO the one above it should default to OFF, there are valid reasons why you might not want the metadata updated when you edit e.g. I never want non-dc metadata in my books only in the catalogue.

Once you know the settings are there they're easy to set, it's finding the buggers that's hard

Yes in Book Editor hit ctrl/p to show the Preferences

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-22-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:09 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

i can't be 100% certain what the new install default is - I may have stumbled into that page one time when first testing the editor, then forgotten it existed.

I retested the book after ticking the box and editor did ask what format I wanted to use, it also asked whether I wanted to use that option always in future so another possibility is that I made that decision long ago and one again then forgot it .
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 03:28 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
i can't be 100% certain what the new install default is - I may have stumbled into that page one time when first testing the editor, then forgotten it existed.

I retested the book after ticking the box and editor did ask what format I wanted to use, it also asked whether I wanted to use that option always in future so another possibility is that I made that decision long ago and one again then forgot it .
I'd say that's what you did. Tip to see default settings, hit Restore defaults then hit cancel. I always forget this myself.

The default for both options is checked.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-22-2014 at 06:50 AM.