Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
Question how to stop calibre from moving my "a" and "the" in titles?

a lot of my book titles use words such as "a" and "the" at the beginning of the title. calibre keeps moving them around, to "title, the", or "funny title, a". it's annoying. how do I stop it from doing that? so far I've seen it butcher 20 of my books which I have to redo, and I have a few hundred still left to even begin to clean up.

I tried the 'articles' tweak by simply removing the words from the eng() bit, but it still does it. supposedly calibre is VERY configurable?
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Butcher?

I consider Library order is the proper way. (and so did my High school Librarian)

There are tweaks to control if and How in Preferences: Tweaks
searching on Library order should find all of them
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go to...

Preferences | Tweaks | Control formatting of title and series when used in templates

Then change save_template_title_series_sorting to be ='strictly_alphabetic'

That will keep the articles such as A, The, etc. in front when you save to disk.

Quote:
ID: save_template_title_series_sorting

Control how title and series names are formatted when saving to disk/sending to device. The behavior depends on the field being processed. If processing title, then if this tweak is set to 'library_order', the title will be replaced with title_sort. If it is set to 'strictly_alphabetic', then the title will not be changed. If processing series, then if set to 'library_order', articles such as 'The' and 'An' will be moved to the end. If set to 'strictly_alphabetic', the series will be sent without change. For example, if the tweak is set to library_order, "The Lord of the Rings" will become "Lord of the Rings, The". If the tweak is set to strictly_alphabetic, it would remain "The Lord of the Rings". Note that the formatter function raw_field will return the base value for title and series regardless of the setting of this tweak.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Butcher?

I consider Library order is the proper way. (and so did my High school Librarian)

There are tweaks to control if and How in Preferences: Tweaks
searching on Library order should find all of them
haha! well, teachers aren't always logical. when i speak, i say "The Title Of My Book", not "Title Of My Book, The". i prefer to sort & name my books the same way that i say them - it's more natural and consequently proper (to me) - so invariably i'm changing everything to make them follow the "John Smith - The Title" format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Go to...

Preferences | Tweaks | Control formatting of title and series when used in templates

Then change save_template_title_series_sorting to be ='strictly_alphabetic'

That will keep the articles such as A, The, etc. in front when you save to disk.
thanks! that sounds like exactly what i need. i'll do it as soon as i get back home. it just sucks that doing a search for "a" or "the" in the tutorial or help file is as useful as searching for a blank space...

burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I had the same problem and I found the answer in a thread here that I lucked out upon finding.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2022, 04:56 PM   #6
FacetiousKnave
Unconscionable
FacetiousKnave knows what's going on.FacetiousKnave knows what's going on.FacetiousKnave knows what's going on.FacetiousKnave knows what's going on.FacetiousKnave knows what's going on.FacetiousKnave knows what's going on.FacetiousKnave knows what's going on.FacetiousKnave knows what's going on.FacetiousKnave knows what's going on.FacetiousKnave knows what's going on.FacetiousKnave knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle
Lucky me I found this thread!
FacetiousKnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:52 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnafterreading View Post
haha! well, teachers aren't always logical. when i speak, i say "The Title Of My Book", not "Title Of My Book, The". i prefer to sort & name my books the same way that i say them - it's more natural and consequently proper (to me) - so invariably i'm changing everything to make them follow the "John Smith - The Title" format.
And when 40% of your books are filed under A or An or The, you begin to appreciate moving common articles from the start of the title sort if not the title itself.

One horrible example being when a friend of mine was on maternity leave, the person who filled in while she was off screwed up their filing system totally. Over 90% of their customers had names starting with The (The Ministry of Education, The City of North Vancouver, The District of North Vancouver, The Regional District of Nanaimo, The Municipality of Canoe, etc.), so you can imagine the mess when she got back and was trying to look for a file. Admittedly, the filing standard was to use the locale name followed by the type so North Vancouver, The City of would be filed before North Vancouver, The District of and so on instead of just moving the article to end of the sort field.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote