Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Tiles Configuration

How is it I put the tiles I want on the home screen? If I remove a tile from the home screen and decide I want it back, how do I get it back?

What are some of your tile configurations? I'd like to see if possible to get an idea of what I might want once I learn how to set things up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Unfortunately there is not much you can do with tile management. About the best you can do is to use David's Kobo Utilities to prevent certain classes of tiles appearing on the home screen.

Beyond that they are dynamic, based on what you are doing.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
That's one of the things that drives me nuts about the Kobo readers, the lack of any consistent layout of the homescreen. I even suggested a different layout in a bit older thread that would keep the top row always with 3 book tiles all sized identical.

But between using Kobo Utilities to keep all tiles off except current books, and GeoffR's patch that makes the spacing between the tiles smaller, my home screen just has the last 8 opened books on it and nothing else. I think without GeoffR's patch you can fit 6 book tiles on the homescreen. And that makes it livable for me instead of the constantly changing tiles moving all around.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How is it I put the tiles I want on the home screen? If I remove a tile from the home screen and decide I want it back, how do I get it back?

What are some of your tile configurations? I'd like to see if possible to get an idea of what I might want once I learn how to set things up.
Normally you get a new tile by using that particular feature, e.g. to get a tile for a particular book, open the book. To get a Sudoku tile, open Sudoku etc...

One tile type I find quite useful is to have tiles for a few selected Collections on the Home screen. One way to do this is:
Home - Library - My collections
select a collection
press the 3-bar icon (same row as Show and Sort)
press Manage collection
press Save
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I do the same as jackie_w: Manage a collection and it appears on the home screen. Open a book and it appears on the home screen (I sometimes open the one or two that I want to read next, just to put the tile there). Keep things neat using a long press to dismiss any tile you don't want, except Sync. That can be dismissed using Kobo Utilities. Dismissing tiles brings back recently-used tiles that were 'pushed' off the screen.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Unfortunately there is not much you can do with tile management. About the best you can do is to use David's Kobo Utilities to prevent certain classes of tiles appearing on the home screen.

Beyond that they are dynamic, based on what you are doing.
I'll have to give the plugin a look and see what tiles I want to block that I would just be removing from the home screen anyway.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll have to give the plugin a look and see what tiles I want to block that I would just be removing from the home screen anyway.
Yes--the utilities plugin has quite a few features that help with Kobo management. If I remember correctly, out of the box, the one tile you can't dismiss from the Kobo screen is the sync tile. Since I sideload all my books and always keep my wi-fi off, the sync tile was of absolutely no use to me. I really appreciate the fact that I was able to dismiss it permanently with the use of the utilities plugin!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote