Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
B&N buys out Microsoft's Nook stake

From the WSJ:
http://online.wsj.com/articles/barne...eal-1417700850

Quote:

The bookstore retailer bought out Microsoft’s preferred interest in Nook for about $120 million in cash and stock, freeing the software giant from further investments in the business.

Barnes & Noble added it expects the planned split of its Nook Media unit from its retail stores to occur by the end of August, behind its initial projection for a separation by March. Ending the partnership would also make it easier for Barnes & Noble to sell the division if it chooses to explore that option.

The disclosure came as Barnes & Noble reported a much weaker-than-expected profit for its November quarter, helping push its shares down more than 13% in early trading.

Quote:

For its second quarter ended Nov. 1, the Nook segment’s revenue fell 41% to $63.9 million, while digital content sales fell 21% to $45.2 million. Device sales fell 64%, though cost-cutting helped stem the division’s loss in the quarter.

Sales at the company’s retail unit, meanwhile, fell 3.6% due partly to store closures.
More at the source.
If link expires, google the headline "Barnes & Noble, Microsoft End Nook Pact".
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When MS bought 17.6% of Nook for $300M in 2012, B&N still claimed 20%+ ebook market share. That valued Nook at $2B and Kindle at about $4B if it were a standalone business.

Today's news puts Nook at 8% market share (or lower) and values Nook media at $680M and Kindle's alleged 60% at about $6B.

Lots of industry changes in the past two years, huh?
Advert
Old 12-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So MS made a loss of over 50% on their investment? Ouch.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Blame it on the old management.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steve.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	131969  
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Kindle only has a 60% share? That would surprise me. Perhaps globally Amazon has a 60% share but in the US I would think that number would be a great deal higher.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Well, I know I've completely given up on B&N. I cleaned out my ebook files after they removed the download links and haven't been back.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The new Msft CEO is smartly dropping non-core businesses. Looks like Samsung will take up the slack as technology partner. I'd like to see the Nook survive.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've given up on B&N also. Nook seemed like a half-hearted attempt by B&N at ebooks, meanwhile they really just wanted to sell physical books.
I don't expect B&N ebook division to last much longer.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Well, I know I've completely given up on B&N. I cleaned out my ebook files after they removed the download links and haven't been back.
Me too and I own and love a Nook HD+.
Baen is my first go to now followed by Amazon and Amazon UK. I have not been on the B&N website since they did this.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I've been seeing more and more independent bookstores that have a lot more character than B&N. I'm not sure I'd shed too many tears if B&N failed. I think that we're quickly approaching a point where it's ebooks, and a much smaller enthusiast market for paper books, which is better served by independents than mega-chains.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Fire, Kindle Pwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I've been buying most of my books from Amazon lately too. I even just bought a Kindle Fire. I started as a Nook owner because I got one as a gift, but their horrible customer service has not kept me even slightly loyal.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Kindle only has a 60% share? That would surprise me. Perhaps globally Amazon has a 60% share but in the US I would think that number would be a great deal higher.
I've seen no semi-credible numbers that put them any higher.
Hachette was moaning that Kindle was 60% in the US and 66% in the UK.
Not even the noisiest "Amazon is a monopolist" detractors have claimed any higher than mid sixties.

I saw reports that Apple was bigger than Nook earlier this year when Nook was still about 10% and Google seems to be approaching Kobo size by the reports among Indies. So figure 12-15% for Apple, 15% for google+Kobo, 8% Nook...

Unless the BPHs are lying about how much of their business is going through Amazon, most of Nook's lost business seems to be going to Apple and Google. Which wouldn't be shocking with iBooks and Play both tied to iOS and Android.

And since Nook hardware is Adept compatible, people moving to google is easy.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I love my SimpleTouch with Glow (the gray one) and the two times I contacted B&N customer service, they dealt with my issues quickly and efficiently. They did two things to push me away though, bringing out the new nook without an SD card and dropping the download option. I have everything downloaded with the old Nook Study app, but who knows when that will disappear. My future book purchases will be through Google Play, unless B&N has a drastic change of heart and I don't really see that happening.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Part of that investment was to stop B&N's anti-trust lawsuit against Microsoft. There was danger (I don't know how serious) that this lawsuit could have blown up Microsoft's patent trolling racket.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
So they're going to separate the Nook division from the regular division. So much for one of their early Nook selling features, that you could walk into the store for Nook support.

B&N didn't go into this half-heartedly, but after a couple years it looks like they basically turned tail and gave up and they've been coasting ever since.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote