Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 10-25-2004, 06:09 AM   #1
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Treo 650

palmOne Finally Officially Announces the Treo 650 (Brighthand)

Quote:
palmOne has just taken the wraps off what has to be the most anticipated new smartphone of the season: the Treo 650.
The predictions were pretty much dead-on: hires, OS 5, Bluetooth, swappable battery, better camera, flash memory. Even though this is just an incremental update, I can see this model becoming a big success. Bluetooth is pretty much essential here in Europe (often cited as one of the reasons why the Treo 600 has not been as successful as it has been in the US). I hope PalmOne will have the manufacturing problems sorted out, so they can supply them in greater numbers.

Anyone planning on buying the 650? Or are MobileRead members allergic to SmartPhones? Personally, I will hold off until SmartPhones with OS6 arrive next year. Apparently, Samsung is working on one, but I hope PalmOne will also come out with their upgrade.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
sas
Enthusiast
sas began at the beginning.

Device: T650 & T/T3
Well, I was eagerly waiting for the official introduction of Treo 650, but now I am somewhat disappointed. All-in-one device, PalmOS, 'small' form factor, excellent design - things that make me happy. High-res screen + built-in bluetooth + removable battery - the reasons I was anticipating the successor of Treo 600. However, the rumored specifications included a 1.3 Mp camera, and not 0.3 And I never thought that the Treo line has no built-in microphone I know, I know PalmOne think that most people don't need it /look at the TE2, akas TT5/, but it just makes no sense to me. If I can't record a voice memo during a conversation - well, how the bloody hel* am I supposed to get this info? My very first mobile - Siemens S25 had - this option, and now - almost 5 years later- the new 'top-of-the-line' smart phone is missing it Not talking for the ability to make records during lectures and meetings. And if the speculations that Treo650 will not get drivers for Palm's SD Wi-Fi card come true - this is just ridiculous for that 'top-of-the-line' phone in this price range. OK, I don't really need Wi-Fi, though I still have with me most of the time my beloved Handera 330 + CF Wi-Fi card. Then, even if the Wi-Fi card works - do you think that the built-in memory will be enough for any practical usage?

Well, I'll wait for a couple of months, and if this comes to be a reliable device, and easily available - I might reconsider. Right now - I'll stick with 2+3 combination /phone & PDA all the time; backup PDA & camera & MP3 playes when travelling, or just in case/.
Advert
Old 10-25-2004, 01:16 PM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Word to all Sprint customers re this device via BoingBoing reader Marc Hedlund, who says:

Quote:
[It has] a bunch of new features, including Bluetooth. Unfortunately the rocket scientists at Sprint decided to turn off Bluetooth for dialup from your laptop (though other networks allow it). Why? Well, they want you to buy *another* $250 product from them (their "connection card") so they can charge you as though you own two cell phones. The phone looks great -- too bad Sprint decided its customers are idiots.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
TreoCentral has also some coverage, including a sample video and first impressions.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Btw, I really think for $550+ the Treo 650 is way overpriced. Little ram (ram prices are down by so much, why did palmOne not go for 128MB??), no WiFi, no voice recorder to record phone calls.

Now let's see when Benq is going to deliver its PPC-based Treo-clone and whether it is a suitable alternative.
Advert
Old 10-25-2004, 07:48 PM   #6
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
Word to all Sprint customers re this device via BoingBoing reader Marc Hedlund, who says:
What I cannot believe is that palmOne allowed them to do that! After all it is palmOne who loses potential business with those angered Treo customers. Plus the bad press...