Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Unlocks Fire Phone & Slashes Price

It was just a matter of time before they did this. Sitting on inventory that wasn't moving, this was the logical next step.

Amazon Fire Phone Gets Big Discount, Drops to $199 Off-Contract

Quote:
On Wednesday, Amazon surprised consumers with an incredible deal: an unlocked Fire Phone for just a mere $199. Now customers can use the phone on any GSM network including AT&T, T-Mobile and other compatible wireless carriers. Previously, Amazon had the phone listed for $449.

Back in July, Amazon launched its highly-anticipated Fire Phone as an AT&T exclusive. The device cost consumers $199 with a two-year contract for the 32 GB version, and $299 with a contract for the 64 GB model. Six weeks later, the phone's price dipped down to $0.99 with the same two-year contract. The starting price without a contract was $650.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Hmmm I wonder if it will work with prepaid, like AT&T GoPhone.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Hmmm I wonder if it will work with prepaid, like AT&T GoPhone.
No idea, but I'm getting one to use as a shirt pocket tablet. I don't use smartphones; I prefer old school flip phones.

You still get a free year of Prime, so that brings the price of the phone down to $100 - cool

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-26-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
2009 1-star reviews out of 3815 total reviews. I think the next really big breakthrough in cell phones isn't the phones itself, but the cost of the service. I use a prepaid cell phone, it's a whole lot cheaper than a cell phone plan. Sure, I don't get much data, but I can live with that. Perhaps someone will find a way to make satellite phone service more affordable, then we could break through the bottleneck of cell phone towers. Amazon's Fire Phone just doesn't seem to offer enough to make it stand out from competitors.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
I think the biggest problem is the lack of access to the Google Play store. That would be a major turnoff to anyone who already owned an android device. Who wants to buy a new phone where you can't use the apps or media you've already purchased? Sure, there are people who switch ecosystems, but I'd wager that it doesn't happen often once you reach a certain point of buy-in, unless you just want to have a footprint in multiple ecosystems.

The locked bootloader also means that the xda set who might want to toy around with these and get them working with Google Play can't do so. That eliminates another avenue of unloading these phones. Granted, that's a small subset of smartphone users. However, it's one of the subsets that an unlocked inexpensive device usually greatly appeals to.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Want Want Want!!! Ok now have to decide new kindle basic or phone! Hmmmm
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No idea, but I'm getting one to use as a shirt pocket tablet. I don't use smartphones; I prefer old school flip phones.

You still get a free year of Prime, so that brings the price of the phone down to $100 - cool
Yep I just bought one to use as an shirt pocket tablet! well worth the money as I'm a prime member!

zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
True, but you still have to put out $200. I'll wait...my Prime's good til May.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I'd completely forgotten that this even existed.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I grabbed one. Don't plan on using it as a phone. Descent amount of storage for downloading stuff and taking it on the go. Woot! Good complement to my Fire tablet.

Last edited by SCION; 11-26-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Typo
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
True, but you still have to put out $200. I'll wait...my Prime's good til May.
That's definitely a factor for some.

If only Lab126 would make printing presses that churned out money to buy Amazon stuff with
Old 11-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by delph View Post
I think the biggest problem is the lack of access to the Google Play store. That would be a major turnoff to anyone who already owned an android device. Who wants to buy a new phone where you can't use the apps or media you've already purchased? Sure, there are people who switch ecosystems, but I'd wager that it doesn't happen often once you reach a certain point of buy-in, unless you just want to have a footprint in multiple ecosystems.
There isn't one app on Google that I'm willing to spend money on.

What it all boils down to is how the device will be used. I use tablets for consuming entertainment. To me, the Fire Phone is a Fire HDX 4.7; and it compliments my Fire HDX 8.9.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
From what I reading & understanding Prime members still get the free year. Guessing Next Billing cycle on your prime account will just reflect the 12 months...

• What if I'm already a Prime member?
You're still eligible. Prime members who purchase a Fire will receive an additional year of Prime when their existing membership is up for renewal. For example: if your next renewal date is June 1st 2015 and you purchase a Fire, we will give you an additional year of Prime at no charge, making your next paid renewal date June 1st 2016.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
Quote:
What it all boils down to is how the device will be used. I use tablets for consuming entertainment. To me, the Fire Phone is a Fire HDX 4.7; and it compliments my Fire HDX 8.9.
Oh yeah, I totally agree with you there. I was thinking of reasons why it would be failing from a smartphone perspective. As a media consumption device, I can definitely see the usefulness.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I wonder how this would play out if Amazon marketed this phone differently:

Amazon Introduces the Fire HDX 4.7 -- a smaller Fire designed for ultimate portability