Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
enn
enn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
KV Software Update?

Good morning,

I have two questions about software updates on my Kindle Voyage.

Device Info says that the installed firmware is version 5.5.0. On Amazon's site, apparently the latest firmware is 5.6.1. It also says "We have a new, free software update available for your Kindle Voyage. This update automatically downloads and installs on your Kindle Voyage when connected wirelessly." My Kindle is connected to wifi (and also has 3G) and has no problem syncing and receiving books, but it hasn't received the software update (the "Update Your Kindle" link is grayed out). Why might this be, and what do I need to do to upgrade? (I'd rather not mess around with a USB upgrade, but I will if I have to.)

Secondly, is there a changelog anywhere for the software updates? It would be nice to know what's been fixed or added in each release.
enn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@enn-
The software update is gradually pushed out to the devices by Amazon...if you leave your device on and wifi up, it will eventually receive the update on its own. If you would like it sooner, or have the restart happen at a predictable time, then just follow the directions for downloading the update to your computer and adding it to your device via USB...this is really a very painless/simple process.
Amazon typically gives a description of the major features of the update on their web page where you can download for USB transfer.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a very worthwhile update: I'd recommend installing it. Makes managing collections a whole lot easier.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
enn

Thanks--I got impatient and upgraded over USB. Of course what I was really hoping for was a way to turn off the touch-screen page turn areas which cause me to do multiple frustrating accidental page turns per page of reading...maybe in the next update.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enn View Post
Thanks--I got impatient and upgraded over USB. Of course what I was really hoping for was a way to turn off the touch-screen page turn areas which cause me to do multiple frustrating accidental page turns per page of reading...maybe in the next update.
Have you contacted Amazon and asked for this change? They do listen to customer feedback, but it won't happen if people don't ask.
Advert
Old 11-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
enn

Yes, I've emailed Amazon. Hopefully it will have some effect. Other than this problem (which seems like it should be easily solvable in software), I really like the Voyage.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
peterkobovox
peterkobovox began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis, voyage, nook glowlight plus, kobo aura one
i can't wait for my KV to arrive
peterkobovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a very worthwhile update: I'd recommend installing it. Makes managing collections a whole lot easier.
Hi Harry,

I have thousands of non-Amazon books and just a few Amazon books. How would this new firmware make managing collections better in my situation? I currently have over 1100 books on my reader with another 2GB free, which I plan to fill up. I have to dismiss 2 dialogs for every book added to a collection because of cloud syncing.

(The reason I ask is that I don't want to update in the hopes of a Jail Break with the original firmware on my Voyage so that I can sync my collections with calibre like I do with my PW2, but if the new firmware is better I'll update). Managing collections is the only thing I dislike about the KV.

Thanks Harry...

Last edited by Robert22; 11-23-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you contacted Amazon and asked for this change? They do listen to customer feedback, but it won't happen if people don't ask.
So where are the settings for smaller margins, smaller line height, user installable fonts (or more font choices), and computer controllable collections (so Calibre can manage collections)? These features have been asked for for a rather long time and nothing has even happened.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-23-2014 at 10:17 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:47 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
Hi Harry,

I have thousands of non-Amazon books and just a few Amazon books. How would this new firmware make managing collections better in my situation? I currently have over 1100 books on my reader with another 2GB free, which I plan to fill up. I have to dismiss 2 dialogs for every book added to a collection because of cloud syncing.
"Collections" view previously showed all the books in a collection, whether they were on your device or not, with the books that you hadn't downloaded "greyed out". It now operates as you would expect, showing only the books that are on your device in "Device" view, and only the books that are in the Cloud in "Cloud" view. A great improvement.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Wow Harry, that is good. That's one I have been waiting for since the cloud collections concept came out. Much more logical.

Now I just hope that for the first time, the transition to a new device goes smoothly. I have everything in collections, on or off the device - and four pages of collections in list view. I had that set up since PW1 but each time I moved to a new device, a proportion of the books would head off to their own collections as they should but around half or perhaps more, didn't and had to be manually allocated. Even tho, on the initial PW they were all assigned to collections.

I'm bracing myself for an intensive filing session with the Voyage, when I eventually get it. I would love, love, to just set it up in collection view and have everything in place, a clone of my current PW2 (apart, of course, from side loaded stuff). Perhaps i'm doing something wrong - sorry if this is a thread hijack.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So where are the settings for smaller margins, smaller line height, user installable fonts (or more font choices), and computer controllable collections (so Calibre can manage collections)? These features have been asked for for a rather long time and nothing has even happened.
What makes you think a large number of users actually contacted Amazon feedback requesting these options?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
Hi Harry,

(The reason I ask is that I don't want to update in the hopes of a Jail Break with the original firmware on my Voyage so that I can sync my collections with calibre like I do with my PW2, but if the new firmware is better I'll update). Managing collections is the only thing I dislike about the KV.

Thanks Harry...
Any discovered jailbreak is most likely going to work on any version of the firmware (at least until/unless lab126 "fixes" it in a release that follows the JB) -- so you might as well update.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
What makes you think a large number of users actually contacted Amazon feedback requesting these options?
Because a large numer of unrelated guys named Jon trolled Amazon CS for a solid month, and compared notes.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkobovox View Post
i can't wait for my KV to arrive
me two this wait is feeling long. and my k2 and 3 look like they are stuggling k2 took 4 attemps to turn on and k3 seem to be strugling

wish my voyage was here or i could go on the paperwhite

but someting called christmas needs to come before i can get my hands on my new kindles

can anyone advise what i do with k3 that is loosing letters and having boot up issues . k 2 is just struggling too boot ( not check keyboad for issue)
sian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle voyage