Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-18-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Nokia enters the Tablet market

Now that Nokia is free of microsoft they are coming out with a tablet. Always liked the hardware was disappointed they went windows for their OS instead of Android the main reason I feel that they got destroyed in smartphones.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nokia-...llipop-out-box

Not a bad device for $249

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-18-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: fixed typo in title
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, it's not really Nokia.
Nokia is licensing the name (and some software and IP) to Foxconn, who are doing everything from manufacturing to sales. They are moving out of the shadows of the OEM/ODM world into dealing with retailers and consumers.

Which is a lot more significant than the name they are hiding behind.
(Sweet tablet, too.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
For me, Android became a has-been noncontender after android 4.2.
I don't really consider myself a power user but I keep a lot of programs on removable media.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
That just looks like a thicker iPad to me...

They did a Windows 8 tablet before BTW.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Engadget says it's thinner than the Ipad Mini 3 it mimics:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/18/nokia-n1-tablet-249/
ludovicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
They did multiple generations of linux tablets way way before.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Well, it's not really Nokia.
The design and name is Nokia's. Currently the manufacturing and marketing is left up to Foxconn (since Nokia doesn't currently have that capability), but that doesn't mean this is a "Foxconn tablet."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:56 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

If it had been a true Windows 8 tablet, I would have bought it. It was however a WinRT tablet... I really love the Lumia design...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:10 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The design and name is Nokia's. Currently the manufacturing and marketing is left up to Foxconn (since Nokia doesn't currently have that capability), but that doesn't mean this is a "Foxconn tablet."
Normally, Foxconn builds stuff and ships it to their customer who is responsible for sales, distribution, and support. They take their money up-front, no risk of getting stuck with warehouses of non-selling gadgets.

This time, Foxconn is doing all three, and get paid when it sells, so it is really their tablet. They are using Nokia's name to sell it, but the bulk of the risk and money is theirs.

They are moving up the value-add chain. Next step would be to put a brand they own on the gadget.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They are moving up the value-add chain. Next step would be to put a brand they own on the gadget.
They'd do well to avoid the use of "Fox" in any of their branding. Whenever I hear that name, I get negative vibes (political).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They'd do well to avoid the use of "Fox" in any of their branding. Whenever I hear that name, I get negative vibes (political).
Oh, they'd never even try.
Murdoch would sue. He forced Microsoft to change Skydrive because it might confuser viewers of his broadcast service.

Most likely, Foxconn would buy some old familiar name lying dormant like Amstrad or Spectravision or make up something. Or, if they're really clever, talk to Disney or TimeWarner about licensing "WayneTech" or "Stark".
Old 11-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I look forward to seeing this device in person. I don't really have a need or desire for it. But I would like to see it.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
In my opinion Nokia is about 3 years too late to the tablet market. The tablet market is already over saturated.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
In my opinion Nokia is about 3 years too late to the tablet market. The tablet market is already over saturated.
Nokia entered the tablet market in 2005. I do not see how that is 3 years too late, given that Apple did not enter it until 2010.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #15
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
The tablet market is not yet mature.
On the performance end significant strides are being made continually, and if even one major player addresses the stagnation of memory capacity then all the other players will be forced to catch up in that vector if they are to retain future market share.

Market saturation is reached when meaningful performance improvements subside.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote