Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Amazon Wins Auction for .Book Domain

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...ok-domain.html

Quote:
The new generic TLD strings (including .buy which Amazon also won) were introduced by ICANN in an effort to address a maxed out marketplace for .com names. ICANN hopes to foster increased commercial activity in the Internet name marketplace.

Amazon won the auction despite a filing by the Association of American Publishers in 2013 that opposed its bid, and described the possible control of the .book TLD by the retailer, or by any private company, to be counter to the public interest.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Existing domains:
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program...egated-strings

It costs $185K to ask for one.
If there are multiple claims for the domain, it goes to auction.

To date there are .mango, .kiwi, .wtf domains.
Nobody has ante'ed up for .literature or .lit.

Maybe a kickstarter?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Cool

I want .banana
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm covered: there's already .pizza...
Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I was reading the comments from the article and some of these people are a bit incensed that Amazon was allowed to get the domain. But then, I like it when it affects people like that.

Geez, it's just a name.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Yeah.. Good for them. I love auctions, but almost never win a bid because I chicken out in the end. :-)
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I was reading the comments from the article and some of these people are a bit incensed that Amazon was allowed to get the domain. But then, I like it when it affects people like that.

Geez, it's just a name.
It's for a commercial product!
(And it went cheap.)

It's not as if they were buying up .literature or .everything.
Though, like you, I'd love it if they bought it too, since it can be bought so cheap.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I would have preferred to see .books instead of .book.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I approve of the .book domain being managed by the only people who know what they are doing in the book world of today.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Agreed, although for a different reason.

Amazon's arrogance, I suspect, will eventually be the company's undoing. And this move, in the long run, will help make clearer to the general public how arrogant Amazon is.

Now, it's not that I want Amazon is prove its arrogance by hurting people's livelihood, as when they withhold advance purchase buttons. And I certainly hope they abandon plans for drones piloted by artificial intelligence, as these could kill people (for example, by downing power lines)*. But if Amazon wants to do something that's pretty harmless, like buying the .books domain, thus making visible its will to dominate the book trade, I like it.

* Could expensive drones remotely piloted by skilled humans -- one human per drone -- be reasonably safe? Yes, but even Amazon couldn't afford the loses from that delivery model. Could drones piloted by artificial intelligence ever be reasonably safe? Sure, but not in the next decade or two.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Agreed, although for a different reason.

Amazon's arrogance, I suspect, will eventually be the company's undoing. And this move, in the long run, will help make clearer to the general public how arrogant Amazon is.

Now, it's not that I want Amazon is prove its arrogance by hurting people's livelihood, as when they withhold advance purchase buttons. And I certainly hope they abandon plans for drones piloted by artificial intelligence, as these could kill people (for example, by downing power lines)*. But if Amazon wants to do something that's pretty harmless, like buying the .books domain, thus making visible its will to dominate the book trade, I like it.

* Could expensive drones remotely piloted by skilled humans -- one human per drone -- be reasonably safe? Yes, but even Amazon couldn't afford the loses from that delivery model. Could drones piloted by artificial intelligence ever be reasonably safe? Sure, but not in the next decade or two.
Ah, what would we ever do without our voice of reason.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #12
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
More domination by Amazon.
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If TLDs are to be had by private owners, I have no problem with Amazon owning .book, as opposed to some other company owning it, but I'm not yet comfortable with the idea of private ownership of TLDs.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If TLDs are to be had by private owners, I have no problem with Amazon owning .book, as opposed to some other company owning it, but I'm not yet comfortable with the idea of private ownership of TLDs.

And it is definitely preferable over the AAP and associated groups/companies.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-12-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Once they decided to allow those strings as domains it followed that those with a vested interest in each segment would need to control it. If you look at the domains in question, the owners are really the primary stakeholders. Like IBM. SAMSUNG. etc outfits that can't allow such a domain to exist outside their control. (Amazon tried to get .Amazon for that very reason.)

There really isn't all that much positive value in owning them (which is why they're so cheap) but the (potential) negative value from not owning them is higher. Which is so many whine after the fact.

As I pointed out, nobody has requested .literature so it remains open. But the moment somebody picks it up is when the whining begins.

Nobody cares about .banana but the moment the monkey secures it is the moment chiquita and all the minions start griping.