Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Scribd adds Audiobooks to its Plan

Scribd Adds Audiobooks To All-You-Read Library, Piling Pressure On Amazon

Quote:
In July, the San Francisco company woke up to find that Amazon.com had imitated one of its core services, introducing an all-you-can-read book subscription service that rivaled the “Netflix for books” model pioneered by Scribd and fellow competitor Oyster. With “Kindle Unlimited,” the Seattle retailer made it a selling point that it had more titles than the little guys, as well as something the others didn’t have: more than 2,000 audiobooks.

On Thursday, that distinction is no more as Scribd launched its own audiobook vertical, a collection that will feature 30,000 titles at no extra charge to subscribers. For the 7-year-old company, the new service is an opportunity to tap into more than $1 billion audiobook market that lacks a dominant player, and challenge Amazon as the tech giant faces a host of problems in the digital publishing space.

“Audiobooks are just a good fit for your iPhone or your Android phone, while you’re driving or if you’re going to sleep,” said Scribd CEO Trip Adler. “They’re a very good use case [for reading] and we think it’s a big, growing market.”
This adds a new dynamic to these subscription plans. The ball is now in Amazon's court.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
KU already has audio books. From the FAQ:

Quote:
When you click on Read for Free on the Kindle book page of an eligible title, you will automatically get access to both the Kindle book and the audiobook.
How many "eligible titles" there are, I couldn't say.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
KU already has audio books. From the FAQ:

How many "eligible titles" there are, I couldn't say.
Titles Available
  • Audible --> 166,000+
  • Downpour --> 40,000+
  • Scribd --> 30,000+
  • Pub Library --> 28,000+
  • ChristAud --> 6,200+
  • Tantor --> 2,800+
  • Kin Unl --> 2,000+

edit: added public libraries - Phoenix Digital and US Navy General both have audiobook collections with over 28,000 titles available.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-06-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Titles Available
  • Audible --> 166,000+
  • Downpour --> 40,000+
  • Scribd --> 30,000+
  • ChristAud --> 6,200+
  • Tantor --> 2,800+
  • Kin Unl --> 2,000+
I think I found it...somewhere between 2,100 and 2,300, depending if you include Kindle singles. It appears to work with the Audible app and not merely an immersion thing. I haven't tried it, so I don't know.

Edit: I didn't catch the "30,000 audio books available on Thursday" part. Yep, that's a lot. I imagine that's something Amazon needs to address. Competition is grand!

Last edited by TimW; 11-06-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I think I found it...somewhere between 2,100 and 2,300, depending if you include Kindle singles. It appears to work with the Audible app and not merely an immersion thing. I haven't tried it, so I don't know.
Remember, KU doesn't have the same titles as Scribd. So the matching audiobook titles will be weaker in both quantity and popularity.

Amazon does have a strong ace up its sleeve - Audible. The question is, will they play that card?
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Remember, KU doesn't have the same titles as Scribd. So the matching audiobook titles will be weaker in both quantity and popularity.

Amazon does have a strong ace up its sleeve - Audible. The question is, will they play that card?
They'll have to get the publishers of those audiobooks to agree that they may be loaned. Amazon has a fair bit of leverage, so that may be very doable.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Edit: I didn't catch the "30,000 audio books available on Thursday" part. Yep, that's a lot. I imagine that's something Amazon needs to address. Competition is grand!
The next thing to do is to compare catalogs and see what's available. Numbers mean nothing if the content isn't to your liking.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:

I'd resubscribe if so... but at the same price, not any higher.

I've got enough monthly bills as it is that are sending me to the poor farm!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I tested both my Kindle Fire and my windows phone and can't find audio books on either. Just my desk top.

Has anyone tried it on their android phone?

Last edited by booklover6; 11-06-2014 at 11:55 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
They might have to update the apps first. It wouldn't be useful for me much if its just on the desktop.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I tested both my Kindle Fire and my windows phone and can't find audio books on either. Just my desk top.

Has anyone tried it on their android phone?
From what I can see, the audiobooks will NOT play through the Audible app. You will need to use the Kindle app, open the book, and press the play button. Not the best way of handling that, I'll grant you.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
They might have to update the apps first. It wouldn't be useful for me much if its just on the desktop.
Won't be useful for anyone who refuses to update the Scribd app. I'll try it on my Nexus, since I don't read Scribd on it.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Won't be useful for anyone who refuses to update the Scribd app. I'll try it on my Nexus, since I don't read Scribd on it.
Yeah, I have to stay on 3.6 on my Nexus or I can't read anymore. So I am trying it out on my android phone. I don't read on my phone, but I can use it for audiobooks. Maybe even my old Fire, old as in very first fire released. Not using it for anything else.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
From what I can see, the audiobooks will NOT play through the Audible app. You will need to use the Kindle app, open the book, and press the play button. Not the best way of handling that, I'll grant you.
We're talking about the Scribd audio books. We know they won't play through Audible or the Kindle app.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I don't like being forced into using my phone for audiobooks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote