Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
Shaleen77
Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Sony PRS 650
Kindle Basic 2014

Hi All

I am considering a Kindle Basic 2014 reader for my Dad and would like to know the following compared to my Sony PRS-650 reader:

1. Can I use the Sony PRSA-AC1 charger (specs as below) to charge the Kindle Basic ?
INPUT:100V-240V~ , ______50/60hz, 0.2A
OUTPUT:5V — 1500mA
TYPE:ACC-211UC

2. Would the Collections from Calibre update automatically on the Kindle Basic ? or would I have to create them manually (Ooo! not looking forward to that) ?

3. Does the Kindle Basic allow for standby screens like the PRS-650 ?

4. Since the Kindle does not support epub (which is basically my entire library), do I convert the ebooks on Calibre to mobi or azw3 format to put on the Kindle Basic ?

Thanks

Shaleen
Shaleen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Having a Kindle is completely different to a Sony and I think you'd be hard pressed to get anyone to answer your questions.

There is a caibre plug in for Kindle Collections but I don't know it it would work for the new 2014 Kindle so you'd have to ask in the developer forum. It may not have been tested yet. It's an old plug in that only currently works on older Kindles up to the Touch (and I'm not sure it even worked for the Touch. If it doesn't work you'd have to set up the collections manually on the device.

I don't know what you mean by 'standby screen' but it you mean the screen saver then no I don't think you can add your own, that's never been an option with a kindle.

As for fomat you would need to convert to either mobi or AZW3, then either sideload (I.e via Calibre) or email each book to Amazon's cloud using the email address assigned to the kindle and then they will download via the cloud.

Unless your dad specifically wants to buy books from Amazon (and wants a kindle) have you considered a Kobo Touch or even a Kobo Glow? The Touch is £59.99 and the glo is £79.99 (has a built in light) from WHSmith or Argos. The Kobo's take epub and there are very good plugins that can create collections directly on the device when you upload his books via Calibre.

Of course this assumes you will be using Calibre go upload your fathers ebooks to what ever device you buy him

I've no idea about the charger, sorry, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You'd get a USB lead with whatever device you buy anyway, so any USB plug should be fine.

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-06-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
The latest Kindle Basic has not been jailbroken. It may be and it may not be. They are working on it. What this means is that Calibre collections will not work on the Kindle. Even if the device is jailbroken, the collection plugin still might not work. So, you should assume that all of the collections will need to be re-created. Custom screensavers and fonts also depend on the jailbreak, so you should not count on those either.

Calibre can convert all of your books without any problem and either transfer them directly to the Kindle via USB or email them to Amazon so the can be stored in their cloud and downloaded at will. Once they are in the cloud, they can be put into collections using Amazon's tools and these collections can be synchronized to all your other Kindles/Amazon reading apps. Reading position and notes can also be synchronized.

All Kindles use micro usb chargers. I believe the PRS-650 did as well, so the charger should work. But, even if it doesn't, virtually every cell phone and tablet (except for Apples) use micro usb so your father probably already has a compatible charger.

Last edited by induna; 11-06-2014 at 12:43 PM.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I have tried out the new Kindle Basic 2014. For the price it's a fantastic device.

Conversion with Calibre works flawless in most cases. I think you should go for it.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
My husband used the Sony 650 for 4 years. I always side loaded as I purchase from Amazon. We are *very* big Calibre people. Love, love, love that application! We just purchased a Paperwhite 2 for $99 and I have to say it was a good fit for us. My husband does not like to touch the screen to turn pages and he loved the buttons at the bottom of the Sony. With the paperwhite, you only need to barely tap the screen so it actually works pretty well for him. I still side load and I don't use collections. I've heard nothing but complaints about collections so we just load up a few books at a time and go from there. We read a lot of series books so if collections gives you info on series number that would be great. Instead, he uses the kindle wifi, hooks to my web enabled Calibre library (only local), and can search on the series and find the order number. I also get books from my Calibre web library. Works well for us!

Last edited by harriska2; 11-06-2014 at 06:12 PM.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
I've heard nothing but complaints about collections so we just load up a few books at a time and go from there. We read a lot of series books so if collections gives you info on series number that would be great. Instead, he uses the kindle wifi, hooks to my web enabled Calibre library (only local), and can search on the series and find the order number. I also get books from my Calibre web library. Works well for us!
Harriska--I went from a Sony 650 to a Kindle Paperwhite, and one of the things I really miss is how seamlessly the Sony worked with Calibre and collections. I also read a lot of series and would have a different collection for each series on my Sony--created automatically when transferring books to it from Calibre.

From others who have posted here, I found out about Metadata Plugboards created in Calibre and use these with my Kindle. What they do is add the series information (name and position in series) to the beginning of the book title when transferring to the Kindle. (Doesn't change anything in Calibre.) If you're interested in trying it, click on preferences in Calibre and choose "Metadata Plugboards".

I use the following:
Format: azw3 (use mobi if your books are in mobi format)
Device: Kindle2 (I think all the newer e-ink Kindles work with Kindle2)
Source Template: {series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
Destination Field: title

Using the plugin above, "Sudden Mischief" which is the 25th book in the "Spenser" series will appear as "Spenser - 25 - Sudden Mischief" on my Kindle. Not quite as good as the way the Sonys handle series info, but it's acceptable for me.

Hope this helps!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
From others who have posted here, I found out about Metadata Plugboards created in Calibre and use these with my Kindle. What they do is add the series information (name and position in series) to the beginning of the book title when transferring to the Kindle.
Yes, I'd recommend this too. I have almost 2000 books on my Voyage and, because of plugboards, don't feel the slightest need to use collections. I have mine set up so the resulting books look like:

Miss Marple 01 - The Body in the Library
Miss Marple 02 - The Murder at the Vicarage
etc.

Quote:
Format: azw3 (use mobi if your books are in mobi format)
Device: Kindle2 (I think all the newer e-ink Kindles work with Kindle2)
Source Template: {series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
Destination Field: title
Why not just use "Any Device" and "Any Format"? Do you really only want AZW3 format on your Kindle to have series information added?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:26 AM   #8
Shaleen77
Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Shaleen77 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Hi all

Thanks for all the feedback and info. I have never used a kindle before. I absolutely live my Sony reader and yes it syncs flawlessly with my collections in calibre. I like to organise my ebooks into categories - classics, new authors, Holmes, mysteries, health, history etc so that I can easily locate them and read them as per my mood.

Actually, I had decided on the Kobo touch but there were some internet reports of Kobo Touch devices suffering frozen screens. While I can't say whether these reports are true but I want my dad to have no problems with his first ereader experience. So the only other choice was the kindle. I also do not want a lighted reader for him so no paperwhite.

I am still awaiting feedback from some friends about whether the Kobo touch really faces such service issues or is it a problem free device ?

Shaleen
Old 11-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaleen77 View Post
I also do not want a lighted reader for him so no paperwhite.
Why don't you want a lighted reader? The light makes a tremendous improvement in readability! I certainly wouldn't be a non-lit reader, these days. Best thing since sliced bread, IMHO.

Quote:
I am still awaiting feedback from some friends about whether the Kobo touch really faces such service issues or is it a problem free device ?
Amazon's CS is infinitely better than Kobo's. No doubt about that.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #10
Shaleen77

Hi Harry

I went to the store to see the paperwhite vs the kindle basic and actually found the paperwhite pretty impressive as a device but did feel a glare from the light. Since I am buying this reader for my dad, I can't take any chances for him to feel any eye strain by reading for long hours. Just a personal choice that's all. And the user interface for the kindle basic is exactly the same as the paperwhite so I'm assuming the performance will be similar.

If only Sony had a new reader model!

Shaleen
Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaleen77 View Post
I went to the store to see the paperwhite vs the kindle basic and actually found the paperwhite pretty impressive as a device but did feel a glare from the light. Since I am buying this reader for my dad, I can't take any chances for him to feel any eye strain by reading for long hours.
Personally, I'd say that the eye strain imposed by trying to read in poor light massively out-weighs that potentially caused by having too much light (especially given that you can turn the frontlight down as low as you wish), but at the end of the day it's a personal choice, of course.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I have tried out the new Kindle Basic 2014. For the price it's a fantastic device.

Conversion with Calibre works flawless in most cases. I think you should go for it.
Agreed, I have a two year old paper white that is having some problems so I bought the new kindle to go along with it and ensure that I have at least something to read with. My 2014 kindle works a lot faster than my older 2012paper white does. Its a great device.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
Shaleen77

Thanks for your replies jbcohen,harry

I feel quite reassured after reading your replies. I actually wanted a simple device with fast response. If only kindle provided collections-integration with calibre! Anyway, I'll have to find a way to organise them on the kindle. A new learning experience I guess.

Shaleen
Old 11-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
My 2014 kindle works a lot faster than my older 2012paper white does. Its a great device.
I thought the faster response time was because on the new device aren't so much books but you're right. The Kindle Basic is a lot of faster.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why not just use "Any Device" and "Any Format"? Do you really only want AZW3 format on your Kindle to have series information added?
Good question Harry--the main reason I have it set up for only the Kindle is that I still use my Sony Readers from time to time. On Sonys when viewing titles in list view, they show far fewer characters than the Kindles--so if I used the same metadata plugboard in a lot of cases I wouldn't see any of the name, and in some cases the series # would also be cut off. I actually have a separate metadata plugboard for ePubs being transferred to my Sony readers that only includes the first few characters of the series and the series number.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote