Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
New online preview feature on Kobo's website

I just noticed there is a new preview option available on the Kobo website. I can preview a book in a popup window in my browser, I don't need to be logged in or download the preview to a Kobo app or device.

This is from the New Zealand site, it might not be everywhere, so I've added some screenshots of what I see:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	previewer1.png
Views:	2832
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	130326   Click image for larger version

Name:	previewer2.png
Views:	2080
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	130327  
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Copying Amazon.

Well, this took long enough then.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not all the book has this feature it seems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kobo.PNG
Views:	389
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	130328  
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by arasyi View Post
Not yet anyway.

Much nicer on site preview experience than they used to have IMO.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-30-2014 at 12:42 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wonder if the absense of the new preview feature indicates that the book is kepub only?

I checked John Scalzi's Lock In: The UK edition which has an epub download option has the new preview feature, but the US edition which is kepub only doesn't.
Advert
Old 10-30-2014, 12:54 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I wonder if the absense of the new preview feature indicates that the book is kepub only?
Could be. The book/bundle arasyi referenced has been mentioned in another thread as a kePub only title.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:00 AM   #7
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
I just checked out that book here and it also doesn't have a preview. But I noticed that it's a collection so I searched for the individual books, and they do have the previews. And it also seems to be happening to this collection only, since the other collection I've checked all have previews on them...
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:20 AM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard

The preview I see in the browser by tapping the new "Preview Now" button seems to be a preview of the epub version of the book, whereas adding the preview to my library and downloading it to a Kobo app or device gives a preview of the kepub version.

That might explain why books that don't have an epub version available for download don't have the new "Preview Now" button either.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:21 AM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Yes, the new Preview Now works as explained in Aus as well. I saw it this morning, but I don't know how long it's been there - possibly yesterday.

The epub book I looked at had both the Preview Now button and Save Preview (which downloads into My Library on the web site and Kobo Desktop. The kepub version as Geoff explained)

So, that's another way of determining a kepub only book it seems ... if there's a Preview Now it's epub, if not it's a kepub.

Golly gee, I really would prefer they just stated it in writing.

Here's a pic of what I see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	preview_now.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	130332  
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:52 AM   #10
azizmuradov
azizmuradov format shifts faster than booting Windowsazizmuradov format shifts faster than booting Windowsazizmuradov format shifts faster than booting Windowsazizmuradov format shifts faster than booting Windowsazizmuradov format shifts faster than booting Windowsazizmuradov format shifts faster than booting Windowsazizmuradov format shifts faster than booting Windowsazizmuradov format shifts faster than booting Windowsazizmuradov format shifts faster than booting Windowsazizmuradov format shifts faster than booting Windowsazizmuradov format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Android
Great post, thank you for sharing.
azizmuradov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:01 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What browser is everyone using? Firefox isn't showing the preview, but Chrome and IE do.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 AM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@david I was using Firefox, latest version.

PS did you see that about poodle up in the News sub forum?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
@david I was using Firefox, latest version.
OK. I might have to look and see if I have an add-on blocking it.
Quote:
PS did you see that about poodle up in the News sub forum?
Yes, I'll take the risk until Firefox is updated. And luckily others at work are the ones who have to fix the servers.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
John C
Enthusiast
John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'John C understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: nexus 7
I previewed a book with H20 last night. Works great. I like the Kobo store. Seems just like Amazon.
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
My books aren't kepub and they don't have preview buttons that I can tell. Most of the books I looked at don't have preview buttons...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote