Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Barnes & Noble's latest collaboration with Samsung is the Galaxy Tab 4 Nook 10.1

Quote:
After rolling out the 7-inch Galaxy Tab 4 Nook earlier this year, Samsung and Barnes & Noble have announced that they're launching a larger variant based on the 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 4.

The hardware on the Galaxy Tab 4 Nook 10.1 is exactly the same as that as what Samsung offers with the standard Galaxy Tab 4. The difference is in the software, with the tablet eschewing Samsung's TouchWiz skin for Barnes & Noble's Nook software, which is "optimized for reading and entertainment."
Link
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I just received their email myself
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The device certainly has a catchy name...
Old 10-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
A 1280x800 screen resolution on a 10" tablet? I'll pass.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm waiting for a collaboration with Tesla:

• Tesla Model X Nook
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
A 1280x800 screen resolution on a 10" tablet? I'll pass.
Yes, the old nooks (HD, HD+) had better resolutions. From a reading standpoint, this is a step back.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yes, the old nooks (HD, HD+) had better resolutions. From a reading standpoint, this is a step back.
That resolution isn't too bad for a 7" device, but just awful on a 10" device.

According the Barnes & Noble website:

10" 149 PPI
7" 216 PPI
Nook Glow 212 PPI
Old 10-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
And it's supposed to be $300? I'm so glad we got our HD+ tablets when we did.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
As an owner of a nook nd+, this is just sad. Sad.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
And it's supposed to be $300? I'm so glad we got our HD+ tablets when we did.

That is with an instant $50.00 rebate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
As an owner of a nook nd+, this is just sad. Sad.
+1
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I have to admit, it amazed me. I was truly amazed at how this company can keep trying to sell such outdated hardware. It almost like they are purposely trying to fail.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
I have to admit, it amazed me. I was truly amazed at how this company can keep trying to sell such outdated hardware. It almost like they are purposely trying to fail.
Actually, it's only since the move to Samsung that I've really had issues with the hardware. Even with the omission of cameras, the Nook-branded tablets have always come across as offering an excellent value. I saw an HD+ hidden away last time I was in Target, and if I had the spare money I'd have probably picked it up.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
10" 149 PPI
That's paltry by current standards, especially considering the cost! It will look awful for anything other than reading a book.

They must have had a shipment of old screens they needed to use or dump and decided to palm them off to the unwary consumer. No thanks.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Why would Nook want to offer a larger tablet anyway? For magazines? They don't have much (if any) of a streaming video presence, apps don't need 10" screen, and books don't either, except for PDFs. They should have stuck with the 7" size instead of offering both. The 10" is not going to sell. Maybe die-hard Nook lovers, but no one else. Not until it is discounted below cost. Even then, I wouldn't buy one. This might just be their worst hardware mistake ever.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #15
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
That's paltry by current standards, especially considering the cost! It will look awful for anything other than reading a book.

They must have had a shipment of old screens they needed to use or dump and decided to palm them off to the unwary consumer. No thanks.
I think even reading a book the screen is going to look bad. I'm no screen snob, I think 1280x800 screen looks perfectly fine at 7-8 inches, but not at 10 inches. I would buy the Tab Nook 7" if it came with 16GB of storage instead of a miserly 8GB.