Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Simon & Schuster has reached deal with Amazon.

From Publisher's Weekly. It kinda sounds like the current situation, agency with discounting to a point.

Quote:
The multi-year agreement moves the e-book discount policy back towards the original agency plan, and will let S&S set the e-book prices while giving Amazon room for some discounting. The deal is believed to keep the amount of money authors earn from the sale of e-books at current levels.

I'm sure this isn't going to help Hachette's position.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-21-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: added quote from article
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does this mean higher prices for S&S eBooks?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm finding this waaaay more hilarious than I probably should.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does this mean higher prices for S&S eBooks?
Not necessarily. Knowing Amazon and what we know about their negotiations with Hatchette, I'd guess not much.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Although neither side would publicly confirm the deal, on Monday afternoon a source with knowledge of the agreement said that S&S has signed a new contract, impacting the of both its digital and physical books, that will go into affect January 1, 2015.
For the first time, Agency Pricing is going to be applied to their printed books. However, what it doesn't say is if S&S will set different prices for print vs. digital.

I was never a fan of Agency, but one of the things I hated was that I could buy the same book for usually 20-25% less, as long as I was willing to buy a physical copy.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I was never a fan of Agency, but one of the things I hated was that I could buy the same book for usually 20-25% less, as long as I was willing to buy a physical copy.
See, I never really experienced that under Agency the first time around. The prices were a bit higher, sure, but ebooks (the ones I looked at) were still consistently less (if even only by a little bit) than their physical counterparts.

Besides: it says the new contract impacts both print and digital books. It's quite early yet, but I see nothing that implies that agency will apply to print.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-20-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
A bit of revisionist history by PW (not exactly new, I know) in that they claim that Agency with discounting is a return to conspiracy terms. And that S&S is going to control prices.
Bull-o-ney, of course.

Agency with discounting lets the retailer set their prices as they see fit. The publisher price becomes a list price, agency or no agency.

Note, BTW, that the new contract was negotiated three months *before* the old one expires.
Not six-months and counting after it expired...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I think I just heard the wind leaving Hachette's sails.

Apparently forging an equitable deal with Amazon isn't quite as challenging/impossible as Hachette wants people to believe.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-20-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
See, I never really experienced that under Agency the first time around. The prices were a bit higher, sure, but ebooks (the ones I looked at) were still consistently less (if even only by a little bit) than their physical counterparts.

Besides: it says the new contract impacts both print and digital books. It's quite early yet, but I see nothing that implies that agency will apply to print.
I don't generally buy series that are in hardback release, so for me it was mostly pricing based on MMPB. In those cases - especially initially - the paperback always had at least the potential for being priced lower (at Target or Walmart). And Amazon had the buy 4 for 3 MMPB deals going.

I don't buy a lot of independents anymore either, which I know are generally priced lower.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I don't generally buy series that are in hardback release, so for me it was mostly pricing based on MMPB. In those cases - especially initially - the paperback always had at least the potential for being priced lower (at Target or Walmart). And Amazon had the buy 4 for 3 MMPB deals going.
OK, I gotcha now. I was thinking strictly of Amazon ebook price vs Amazon pbook price (new) for the same book.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think I just heard the wind leaving Hachette's sails.
Nah, there's plenty of bluster left in the Hachette man camp.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A bit of revisionist history by PW (not exactly new, I know) in that they claim that Agency with discounting is a return to conspiracy terms. And that S&S is going to control prices.
Bull-o-ney, of course.

Agency with discounting lets the retailer set their prices as they see fit. The publisher price becomes a list price, agency or no agency.

Note, BTW, that the new contract was negotiated three months *before* the old one expires.
Not six-months and counting after it expired...
I'm thinking that PW isn't the one engaging in revisionist history.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Interesting...
Quote:
Although neither side would publicly confirm the deal, on Monday afternoon a source with knowledge of the agreement said that S&S has signed a new contract, impacting the of both its digital and physical books, that will go into affect January 1, 2015.
The source with knowledge of the deal was probably an executive at one of the other publishers.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #14
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Posted in the Amazon Kindle Forum about 5 minutes ago:

Initial post: Oct 20, 2014 4:48:56 PM PDT
The Amazon Books team says:
(AMAZON OFFICIAL)
We are pleased to announce that Simon & Schuster and Amazon have reached a multi-year agreement for the sale in the US of both print and digital books.

We are very happy with this agreement, as it allows us to grow our business with Simon & Schuster and help their authors reach an ever-wider audience. Importantly, the agreement specifically creates a financial incentive for Simon & Schuster to deliver lower prices for readers.

Thank you,
The Amazon Books Team

http://smile.amazon.com/forum/kindle...x3H5HX25QOKO9C

Last edited by mitford13; 10-20-2014 at 08:01 PM.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Good news for consumers?

EDIT: from http://mashable.com/2014/10/20/amazo...m-Tw-main-link

Quote:
"We are very happy with this agreement as it is economically advantageous for both Simon & Schuster and its authors and maintains the author’s share of income generated from eBook sales," Reid wrote. "It addresses our mutual concerns about preserving the value of our intellectual property in the marketplace, as it is a return to a version of agency pricing that, with some limited exceptions, gives control of eBook pricing to Simon & Schuster, while providing us the flexibility to deliver great prices for readers."
That sounds potentially bad for consumers.

Last edited by binaryhermit; 10-20-2014 at 08:17 PM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote