Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-12-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Keeping text together (block vs. page-break-inside:avoid)

Hey folks...

In working on this current e-book, in various places I wanted to keep certain text together -- for example, the first couple and last couple of lines in a poem; or in my table of contents where I have a main chapter heading listed, as well as subheadings within that chapter (and I wanted to keep the main chapter heading together with at least the first subheading); or with a linked item in my ToC which has short description below it that I'd like to keep together; and a few other places like that.

The way I was doing it up until this evening was by wrapping whatever text I wanted to keep together in a <div> with this style...

Code:
.block {
    display: inline-block;
	width: 100%;
}
...although the whole time I was doing it that way, I found that adding that in, in-between paragraphs, tended to screw around with the top/bottom margins between paragraphs. After a lot of fiddling with my CSS, I managed to overcome those top/bottom margin issues...

...and then just this evening I discovered a totally different option that I could have used -- "page-break-inside:avoid" -- which I also just add in with a <div> around whatever few lines I want to keep together, and which doesn't seem to impose any screwiness to my paragraph margins.

Any thoughts on what the best way is for keeping text together like that -- generally just a couple of short lines (as separate paragraphs) that you don't want to get split up over two pages?

I thought that block way was "the" way to do it, but after reading various things here about "page-break-inside:avoid", now I'm not so sure.
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
display:inline-block is not one of the supported (required) values in ePub 2, so use it at your own risk.

Other than that, by turning a <div> into inline-block, you're basically treating it as a character, so yes, the spacing will be affected and you'd have to tweak a few things.

page-break-inside:avoid, on the other hand, is a required property and value combination. It should be supported and it should work the way you want. Another difference is that it allows a page break if the whole block does not actually fit in a page, while the inline-block does, as far as I know, completely prohibit it, so the block would be clipped. Sadly, I'm afraid many readers ignore this setting, at least in some situations.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Ah, great, I understand -- thanks once again, Jellby! That's easy enough to swap out all those blocks that I currently have with a simple search and replace -- it's a shame that the "avoid" thing isn't supported everywhere, all the time, but oh well. Better to do it the right way than the wrong way.

Thanks again!
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote