Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 10-15-2004, 08:11 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3000 - world's first HDD-based PDA

Sharp announced that it will ship its latest Linux-based Zaurus SL-C3000 PDA into the Japanese market next month. What is hot about this device, beside the fact that it is running Linux OS, is the fact that it will be the first PDA to integrate a hard drive (4GB). Beside that the hardware specs look pretty much standard; the Zaurus is powered by a 416MHz Intel XScale PXA270 processor, comes with 64MB of SDRAM and 16MB of Flash ROM, and features a 3.7in 640x480 LCD display.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #2
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Nice...is price mentioned anywhere?
Advert
Old 10-15-2004, 02:27 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The SL-C3000 will be on sale in Japan for around $730 on November 10.

Alas it is without integrated WiFi.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:04 PM   #4
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
I posted my reply about knowing nothing of the new Zaurus a day too soon. Heh... All the specs, etc. were released the next day.

Personally, I don't like it much. Some of the stats I've seen put it's battery life at a measly 7 hours doing menial stuff like calendar. That's the power-sucking hard-drive at work there.

If you're looking at the Zauri, I personally would recommend have a look at the C860 or C760 (which are almost identical machines). Just grab a 512MB (or even 1GB) SD card and a CF wifi card and you'd be set. Flash memory just draws so much less power than a microdrive...
Old 10-16-2004, 06:55 AM   #5
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't even think about the battery aspect. You are right, microdrives DO eat a lot of battery power. Why have they at Sharp not thought about that?
Advert
Old 10-16-2004, 09:51 PM   #6
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
I didn't even think about the battery aspect. You are right, microdrives DO eat a lot of battery power. Why have they at Sharp not thought about that?
They probably did think about it... But I guess they thought the size of storage space would outweigh the battery life for some people.

But if you want large storage and long life battery, a C760/C860 with a 1 GB compact flash (or even a 1 GB SD card - I think these are around now).
Old 10-19-2004, 04:09 AM   #7
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!

... and it is not going to make it to the US:

Facing stiff competition and low sales, a Sharp representative has informed InfoSyncWorld that the company has decided to fully withdraw its Zaurus SL line of Linux-based handhelds from the U.S. market and focus on its home market in Japan. The recent similar withdraws of Sony and Toshiba pretty much left PalmOne and RIM fighting alone HP and Dell in a saturated PDA market inundated with U.S. brands. People don't seem to be willing to pay a premium for gadgets and alternative systems, and primarily in the corporate market customers prefer to buy from the same suppliers as for their corporate hardware.

via Slashdot
Old 10-19-2004, 09:48 AM   #8
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
The recent similar withdraws of Sony and Toshiba pretty much left PalmOne and RIM fighting alone HP and Dell in a saturated PDA market inundated with U.S. brands. People don't seem to be willing to pay a premium for gadgets and alternative systems, and primarily in the corporate market customers prefer to buy from the same suppliers as for their corporate hardware.
Could it also be because the average rate of unemployment in the US is between 5 and 15% now, with some areas reaching 48% unemployment (San Francisco Bay Area) and 60% (Chicago)?

Most people don't have a spare $699.00 to throw away at a new gadget or PDA. They're busy taking that $699 and using it to pay rent or buy food or clothes.

I know I've heard this over and over again in my circles. "I just can't afford to buy another PDA anymore, even if it has all the cool specs I want."